cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint and HTC Evo LTE - Customer Service hits an all-time low

Journeyman

Sprint and HTC Evo LTE - Customer Service hits an all-time low

I made the crucial mistake of purchasing an HTC Evo LTE on launch day.  I was aware that I wasn't going to be able to utilize Wimax with this device.  And I also knew it was going to be at least 6 months before my area was equipped with LTE coverage (I live in Seattle).  But, I wasn't aware of how attrocious the 3G speeds would be on this phone.  In Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, my speeds were less than desireable and made the device unusable except for making phone calls.  My download and upload speeds averaged 0.10Mbps in all 4 cities.  Needless to say, the phone was useless unless I was utilizing a WiFi connection.  On WiFi, the phone worked flawlessly.  But on "3G" I could rarely load Facebook pages let alone stream music, download files, or watch video.

Now, don't get me wrong, I experienced this issue before the 14-day window of return, and I should have heeded it as a major warning and red flag.  But, I was an optimistic consumer.  I had fallen in love with the Evo brand since the inception of the original.  It was by far the best phone on the market at the time and I had no reason to believe that this phone would be any different.  After several calls to Sprint customer service (4 to be exact) I was told the first 3 times that they could send a replacement but to do this, they had to transfer me to a supervisor.  Three different reps failed to transfer me to their supervisor.  The first time, I was transferred directly to the Asurion company.  The other two times I was conveniently disconnected without the courtesy of a call back.  The 4th representative advised that they couldn't replace my device over the phone; only a corporate store could do that upon finding it defective.  So, that's exactly what I did.  I went to the corporate store, allowed them to factory reset my phone and when it came time to pick it up, I was told there were no problems.  NO PROBLEMS????  Their flagship phone was unusable.  I was told that "it was an LTE phone and the network didn't exist yet".  Unbelievable.

I could pick up any phone on display at the store, use the speedtest.net app and each phone was able to pull 1.0-1.5Mbps download and about 1.0Mbps upload.  Not the Evo LTE.  Even the Evo LTEs they had on display exhibited the same sad speeds as the one I held in my hand (it took nearly FIVE MINUTES for their display HTC Evo LTE phone to download a 1.5Mbps app from the Play Store).  I was told that they wouldn't replace it because it wasn't defective.  How can you claim that it isn't defective when it clearly doesn't perform like any of your other phones (even the 3G-only free phones performed well).  There is obviously something wrong with the hardware in this phone.  Well, I had had enough.  I walked over to the T-Mobile store, who had just released their new unlimited 4G data plan on September 5th.  Once over there, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 and ported my number over knowing that I'll owe Sprint a $350 cancellation fee which I will gladly pay (sorry HTC and Sprint, I'm done doing business with you forever).

After my phone was activated, I experienced download speeds that AVERAGED 20Mbps and upload speeds of 4Mbps.  With the quality of service and poor product offered described above, why would I even consider staying with Sprint?

Sprint, the only thing you had going for you was the unlimited data plan.  T-Mobile called your bet and rose you big time.  In the 3 months I used the HTC Evo LTE I used, at most, 285MB of data (I previously averaged 10-15GB a month on my original Evo).  I'm a heavy data user.  I use data constantly and when I'm tied down with a phone with an undoubtedly defective antenna it affects my life.  Well, I can assure you that I'm not the least bit unhappy with my decision to leave you after years of service.  The power of the consumer speaks volumes and I will not be unheard.

-Roy from Seattle

NOTE:  See screenshots for both carriers attached to this message.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Sprint and HTC Evo LTE - Customer Service hits an all-time low

I am sorry for what you are going through. I personally am glad I finally have a Sprint phone that can do voice and data at the SAME TIME.

Journeyman

This is sad. I woke up really early on launch day for the EVO LTE and needless to say I was blown away by the phone. I've been waiting for LTE network here in DC since forever! I'm thinking of doing the same thing you did. Switch to T-Mobile and get the S3. I've ordered 5 cases for it already. GOODBYE SPRINT!!!

Journeyman

I just needed to post this, and I have been a customer with Sprint since 2001/2002 somewhere there. I have the HTC before that I had the blackberry which I was perfectly fine with. Then, the track ball stopped working and I was told by the store clerk at sprint, that I had to upgrade, they no longer repair blackberry phones (a way to force you to upgarde) ok, so I did. From day one this phone has been frustrating and I do everything in my will, not to slam it against the wall, because, I can't afford another phone.

I have to pay $10 just to have a 4G phone

I pay $8 insurance (and by the way, u have to pay $100 deductable if something goes wrong with the phone, your $8 a month for two years just doesn't cover it)

I replaced the phone once already. They sent me another phone with the same issue - not holding battery charge.

I already replaced to chargers, Bought a battery online

After one conversation the battery is dead. Don't even attempt to listen to music on the phone, it's dead in 20mins.

Maybe I got a raw deal with this phone, but since I've been with Sprint, it's the worst phone they have had. My contract ends soon, and honestly, if HTC is the only choice, I will have to leave sprint.

Journeyman

I am on my 3rd in less than six months, its obviously a softward issue that Sprint refuses to acknowledge. I will be fighting to get switched to another device or we may have some issues, their not meeting their end of the contract as far as I'm concerned.

Wizard

Hi ret8787

I apologize for the issues that you experienced with your HTC EVO 4G LTE. I understand at this point you have already cancelled your service and ported your number to another provided. We definitely regret loosing you as a valued customer and understand you had made several attempts at resolving the data speed issues you incurred with your HTC EVO 4G. Since you advised you've already cancelled we typically offer resuming your line within 45 days and waiving the early termination fee, however that time has passed. In the event you are looking for some relief regarding your bill with the early termination fee, I would suggest using the buy-back program to perhaps off set the early termination fee. You may visit the buy-back site by visiting www.sprint.com/buyback. I would have definitely liked the opportunity to do some troubleshooting steps to see if we could have resolved the data speed issues and retained you a customer, however that may no longer  be an option considering you have already cancelled.

I hope by being able to offset the early termination fee perhaps in the future when LTE is available in your area, you may considering testing out the service and consider coming back. Thanks for your community post.

Yahkie W.

Social Media Care

Journeyman

Hope you managed to read that your "unlimited 4G" plan with Tmobile really only includes 100 MB of 4G speeds.. then you're right back to crap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@RandomSprintEmployee

Let's assume for a moment that you are, in fact, a Sprint employee.  This in no way surprises me due to my past experience with Sprint employees in person and on the phone.  In general, and you specifically, Sprint employees lack a deep understanding of the products they sell, the technology those products utilize, and the general industry that you're in.  As of September 5, 2012 (The very day I canceled my Sprint service), T-Mobile began to offer a truly unlimited 4G data plan.  No throttling and no data caps.  Unlimited.  In the first month, I used approximately 75GB worth of data.  While the 4G technology that T-Mobile offers isn't of the LTE variety, the speeds are still comparable to most 4G LTE carriers in other markets.  Admittedly, my upload speeds rarely top 3Mbs, but then again, most of my network utilization is for downloading, and 20-28Mbs is just fine with me. 

And to make another point:  As you can see from the screenshots I posted above, even with an unlimited data plan, I would have had to try very hard to reach 100MB of total data usage on Sprint's network with the speeds I was receiving.  The $150 I paid to break away from Sprint was by far the best money I have spent in quite some time. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat