cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

I had my HTC Bolt for two weeks (actually less than that) when the half-black screen 1st appeared. I went to my local Sprint store-not a repair center- & they were busy with other customers so they told me to bring to repair center but didn't mention 2 week replacement policy. I went to Sprint repair center on day 16 of having phone & they told me I had to contact HTC. After reset & various other tests HTC support had me do (over an hour of wasted time) They sent me a repair ticket. I sent it in and it took over 7 weeks to get it back (they said parts had to be shipped from Taiwan). After 2 days using my repaired phone the problem reappeared. I contacted HTC support & got another repair ticket & shipped it to them (another over $10 expense for 2nd time). A few days later they contacted me and said the phone needs a new screen & battery cover (non-warranty repairs & would cost me over $150). I replied asking for an explanation of a phone with no physical damage 2 days after receiving the repaired phone that then has the same half black screen is not warrantied. They have yet to get back to me, but I noticed today on the repair status link the status has changed from needs unwarranted repairs to in repair. I tried to contact their live support chat link today & couldn't reach them. I will not invest any more money in this phone & if I get it back, repaired or not, when the half black screen comes back I am going to Sprint & demanding they trade it in on a new phone or I will take my 3 phone account to another carrier.

Master

So far, Sprint has been making good on changing out this phone for people. Don't expect all stores to be willing to change it out for a different phone, some have their own policies on when they can swap it for another phone or not so. FOr instance, has to be swapped X ammount of times before they can switch phones. Also, be nice, If your a jerk about it, they will be less willing to help, 'oh sorry, we don't ahve that ability, you have to go 2 towns over to the next store to do that', be nice and they are usually more willing.

I know your upset, but at least its not catching fire like another phone was. Keep in mind, that other phone wasn't recalled until the governement stepped in due to the dangers with that phone. 

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

This is not a solution.  Sprint refuses to take responsibility for this.  You have to send the phone back to HTC, at your own cost.  The problem exists exclusively with phones purchased through Sprint.  I am a Sprint customer of 15 years, and recently there are too many customer service issues to think that they would want me to remain loyal to them.

Master

You do realize that this phone is exclusive to Sprint, right? Which is why it only happens to this phone purchased through Sprint. Because Sprint is the only one that has this device on their network. Allot of OEMs sell exclusivity rights to to the carriers so that they are the only ones that can sell the device. The HTC Bolt is one such device.

However, the device is still an HTC device and as suchis warrantied through HTC.

As for Sprint taking responsibility, they have been replacing the phones when they have them available to replace. And HTC has been repairing and warranting the phones when they receive them.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

In response to Chris.....I have no info other than agreeing with you...I have been with Sprint for 16 years now and the last 3 or 4 have been less than enjoyable. We got the HTC Bolt about the same time as you got yours. Within a month my sons screen was appearing "negative film"....lack of colors. When it warmed up, color came back. Feb 27, 2017, the screen was just black and Sprint tech said water damage. It is water resistant and there was no case of any kind for the Bolt when we got it. They have 2 for it NOW. We have insurance but Asurion wants a $200 deductible which I cannot afford as I am on SSI as it is. I am still making payments on it but had to switch his services back to his HTC One which internal battery is just about toast on. Contacted HTC and they said we can send it to them for them to look at and it would be 7-10 days....Sounds like maybe it will be even longer than that from your experience..?? Still is probably our best bet I am guessing. Anyway, just want to say....I understsnd where you are coming from as we have experienced quite similar.
Journeyman

I did not understand how this posting to Community worked....So my other response is not just to Chris but the whole Community. The HTC One that my son had prior (and is now forced to using again) was a great phone but it had its issues (as do all phones). This HTC Bolt was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. I have not called Sprint Customer Service yet concerning this because the Sprint Tech said water damage yet it doesn't even look like the phone case was ever even open (we had to leave it for "2 hours" which 4 1/2 hours later still no call on it so my son just went to the Store). I have insurance on it but Asurion wants me to pay $200 deductible because it is "water damage". They had NO cases for this phone when we got it in November 2016. It is supposed to be a water resistant phone....He never dropped it in a pool of water or anything so....Really, I am getting so tired of Sprint's lack of responsibility for the products they carry. I contacted (via Live Chat) HTC and they said I can send them the phone at no cost to me and they will look at it and give me a quote but since I got it through Sprint, I should go through the insurance. Sprint didn't say anything about HTC's "Uh Oh Protection" so Asurion wants me to pay that $200 deductible to "fix/repair" the phone.....I would not suggest anyone buy HTC Bolt through Sprint.
GrandMaster

unless its physically damaged do NOT go through your insurance for this issue. go through either Sprint and their repair stores or directly with HTC..which would be preferred since they built the phone and can fix the issue.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am thinking going through HTC because Sprint Store Tech told my son he needs to make a claim with Asurion (the insurance I pay $11/mo for on his phone, $13/mo on my phone and $13/mo on my youngest sons phone). The Tech at Sprint said he couldn't do anything with the phone because it is "water damaged". When my son wakes up, I am going to talk to him about sending it off to HTC and go from there. Thank you for responding :-)
GrandMaster

if its in fact water damaged you might run into issues with HTC as well. but at least with them they will take the phone apart to see if both moisture tags inside are kicked or not.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ok so I went to the Sprint store, dropped off my defective half screen black HTC Bolt and received a new one in about a week. Mind you I spent several hours re-custimizing my new phone and trasfering all my files back and forth. Quite a pain, even with everything backed up on a SD Card. 2 days ago my replacement HTC Bolt, which is supposed to have the issue of the half black screen fixed, is having the SAME EXACTY problem. Again no water damage, no damage to the phone whatsoever, just decided to go 1/2 blank on me once again. Wow very fustrating. What a POS phone. Sprint really needs to step up here and recall these POS'. At least offer some type of refund. Only after about a month these phones just poop out. How can Sprint go on like this saying this is their "flagship" phone??? This is just ridiculous!!!

Master

exitnext, I am very sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues. Please visit the Sprint repair center where the device was replaced so they can check the device and discuss your options.

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Master

As previously mentioned, Sprint doesn't make the phone. Any recall would need to be initiated by the OEM which is HTC in this case. Until that happens, Sprint can only replace or direct you to HTC for repairs.

Sucks this is happening. On the plus side, it could be worse, at least it's not catching fire.

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat