cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: HTC Desire 510 Review

Journeyman

gal_463x407_4.jpg

(source)

No, the HTC Desire 510 is not a flagship device. Would you know it from looking at the price? Definitely.

Could you tell by picking up the phone and using it? Probably not. The phone is as smoothe (even

smoother, in some cases) in every day use as some flagship devices out there, at a fraction of the price.

You may not get all the bells and whistles, but it is still a great phone that offers top level performance,

while keeping the price point low enough to make it the perfect choice for someone on a budget.

Specs

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 at 1.2 GHz, quad core

Memory: 4GB internal storage (1GB useable by the user, up to 128GB via microSD), 1GB RAM

Display: 4.7", 480 x 854 pixels, LCD

Battery: 2100mAh, removable

Camera: 5 megapixel camera, 1080p video recording capability

Screen

The screen may not be 1080p, but it is more than useable. Although viewing angles aren't the best, I

tend to forget the resolution is so low because the icons aren't huge, blocky, pixelated objects taking up

half of my homescreens. Brightness can be turned up enough so viewing content during your outdoor

activities is adequate, and although there is some minor ghosting when switching between tasks or

screen, it is not an issue when doing everyday tasks like browsing the web, checking emails, or even

playing simple games. The display may seem a little washed out in comparison to something like the

M8 or S5, but you'd also be spending another $400+ off contract for something like that.

HTC_Desire_510_PerRight_Navy-1280x907.jpg

(source)

Aesthetics

It may not be the thinnest, and it may not have smallest bezel, but the phone looks sharper than most of

the phones being offered on the market. Sure, this is subjective, but the matte finish with the blue color and

the sleek, streamlined industrial look HTC has perfected is something most users will find refreshing,

considering that so many phone are coming out with so many aesthetic distractions. The volume buttons

are on the right side, with the power button on the top. The phone is small enough to where reaching

the power button is not an issue, making this a favorable choice if you are purchasing this for someone with

small hands or arthritis.

Camera

Don't let the 5 megapixels fool you. Pictures are clear and precise. You may run into issues taking pictures

in the dark, since there is no flash on the device, but it gets the job done in most situations.  Video recording

for up to 1080p videos is supported, which is impressive on a device in this price range.  Sure, there are

better cameras out there, but this can definitely get the job done in a "snap" (pun intended!).

Overall User Experience

I am extremely impressed with the performance on this phone. I'm not necessarily talking about gaming

performance, but general user interaction with the device seem more fluid than most phones on the market

that have double the power (and more than double the price). The phone has excellent battery life, lasting me

2 days with moderate use. Please note that I leave my gaming for my tablet, so most of the activity that occurs

on my phone is limited to texting, browsing, reading blogs, phone calls, and intermittent youtubing. Make no

mistake: even though the phone is best suited for the entry level user, especially one on a budget, the phone

does a great job of using the resources it has available. Moreover, this is the first Android phone with a 64-bit

processor, so when future iterations of Android get released, your phone will be taking advantage of that, causing

performance to theoretically only see a positive vertical move.

htc_desire_510_6v_blue_0.jpg?itok=GdtdwnK9

(source)

Final thoughts

This is a beautiful device, for a beautiful price. Sure, this may not have all the features that a Flagship phone like

the HTC One M8 will have, but this is a budget phone that offers slight future proofing by providing a 64-bit CPU,

expandable memory, and a removable battery. If you are in the market for something affordable, especially for an

older parent or young teen, this is a great value worth considering.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee