Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: MEMORY! (Or lack thereof?) Tips on saving...

Sprint Product Ambassador

Are you in?

Have you activated your htcdesire510 and downloaded a bunch of apps?

Are you starting to see that little notification that tells you there's no memory left on your phone to do any number of things?

Let's see if we can't try to take back some of that memory by changing some settings, some habits, and some ways of thinking about how to use your phone...

1. Account management - This can take up a lot of room.  If you have 2000+ contacts, and you need them all, then there's no getting around it.  You have to sync them and that's the end of that.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't make up some room in other areas.  Set your email to download only the last week's worth of email, or better yet, only the last 3 days.  If you don't get to it in 3 days on your phone, you can still get to it on your laptop / desktop / tablet.  It's still there... you just have to go to your actual PC to take care of it.  Also, if you don't NEED to see a full month or year's worth of appointments, then only sync the last 2 weeks, or 1 week.  It's still there, and you can still look it up on your phone... it will just need to sync on an individual case basis.
  2. Email content - Not just attachments, but the format of the emails, and the length as well.  Generally speaking, unless your position requires that you MUST see formatted, image-rich emails in HTML format, you can probably get away with TEXT ONLY emails.  Do NOT select HTML emails, as these tend to be very heavy on the graphics and scripts that can hammer your memory.  Most business emails are short texts as well, so you may even be able to get away with setting your max email size to something relatively small.  Also, make sure attachments and pictures are NOT automatically downloaded, as these will cache and impact your devices performance.
  3. Pick an app already - I'm as guilty as many others.  I like to keep 2 or 3 browsers on my devices because I feel like each one does certain things better than the others.  Don't have that luxury here.  Pick one.  I am going with the stock browser because it takes the least amount of memory (Chrome is a hog).  Same with your social media apps.  If you are running Twitter, and Tweetcaster, and Tweetdeck, etc. PICK ONE ALREADY! If they are all running in the background, they can slow down your device's performance, and if you open them all at some point or another, the content you view will cache and take up memory!
  4. Look at your pix, but only briefly - Obviously we want to see our pix that we take on our mobile devices.  First and foremost, make sure you pick an application that will auto-backup your pix so you can clear them from your phone without losing them forever.  Additionally, pick ONE app to use to manage your pix.  Again, Google Pictures is a great interface, but it's very slick, which means lotsa graphics.  Go with the stock gallery, and Auto-Backup using Google Drive.  Remember that every time you open an album, or a Zoe, or a folder, or event in the Gallery, it pushes thumbnails for all of the previews in to the cache.  And then there goes the memory.  The less you can preview albums / Zoes / etc in the gallery, the better off your memory will be.
  5. Get a MicroSD card (duh) - 4GB cards are available for as little as $3.  Get one to just push your apps, your photos, your videos, etc. to the card.  Helps to clear up a lot of space.  You can get a 16GB card for $15.  Do it.  Then you'll have something to keep your content on all the time, and apps that will allow you to push to SD can reside on your card.  **DO NOT** go with a 128GB or 64GB card.  IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I have not been able to make those work correctly on the htcdesire510.  Better to play it safe with a maximum 32GB card, and make sure it's a Class 10 card.

Obviously if you are pushing all sorts of updates from the market and auto-syncing all 20 of your social media platforms, you will end up choking your memory.  HOWEVER, I've found that by minimizing my app usage and the impact of the content therein using the tips above, I have NOT experienced any memory issues in over a week... (and I have over 2000 contacts in my address book!).

Good luck, and hope you're enjoying the device!

D

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”