cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G speeds extremely SLOW - I jumped from AT&T Unlimited for this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint -

I see alot of people on these forums and the Android forums saying the same thing - of 3G Speeds are low, I average between 50-75k download and 100k upload - this is all around town, multiple towers.

I have been on with support since Launch day and have been told :

1.     Wipe my Device - We did, nothing - same speeds
2.     We are just overloaded from the launch weekend - That was almost a week ago.
3.     We are upgrading to 4G and they take the 3G offline for that.  (I think this is BS, but I was then told - it should get better in the fall)
4.     Someone finally said the tower has maxed at capacity - they will fix it in 90 days.  (Although, I am slow on multiple towers)
5.     NOW, another call today to support - after almost 2 hours, they want me to WIPE MY PHONE again!

I have 3 weeks left to bail on sprint - I need to see data speeds higher than 50k - Im calling AT&T today to see if they would take me back with the Unlimited Data that I left behind.  If not looks like Verizon or T-Mobile.

A friend at work has a Samsung Epic and he gets 700k in his cube, and If Im in his cube I get 40-50k - Why cant anyone fix my phone (Oh, and my wifes phone - SAME issues - Both 3D's)

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3G speeds extremely SLOW - I jumped from AT&T Unlimited for this?

Been with sprint for 3 years and the last 6 months the 3g went from 1.2 mbps to 125 kbps---Samsung Epic

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can hardly believe all of the trouble this phone is causing. Not just in this foum but in other forums as well. They should have named it the "Evil 3D". I'm either 1 bar or roaming all around town. I only get 2 bars when on WiFi and I'm standing right next to my router. I'm waiting for my phone call from Sprint to trouble shoot but I've already done all the things others have done while waiting for them to call. I don't know what else they could do for me. I bought my phone from Wirefly and only have until late next week to notify them if I am going to return it. I think I'm going to go out and get a prepaid phone this weekend (and cancel Sprint) to temporarly hold me over until I find another provider. I had T-Mobile and they were great these past 2 years but I don't like the thought of them being bought by AT&T. Most people I know in this area have Verizon with no complaints.

The Sprint network coverage issues don't seem limited to the Evo 3D either from reading the forums. I know the Sprint reps and techs read and hear the complaints but I hope this information is getting the to higher ups at Sprint. They obviously have some problems.

Highlighted
Wizard

If you're going to switch to Verizon, better hurry.  They switching from unlimited to tiered data plans on July 7th.  And with AT&T buying t-mobile, I'm not sure what their unlimited plans are going to look like.

I just ran speed test, I'm pulling .98 mbps d/l and .53 mbps u/l.  On 4G, my average d/l speed is 6 mbps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

normally, this thread would scare the beejuzus out of me about switching... but after spending the past few months on the tmobile board and at&t board and verizon board and here, i've learned that EVERYONE hates their carrier... there isn't a single board that doesn't have multiple threads about a certain phone sucking or a certain company sucking... the speed sucks... the signal sucks... the screen sucks... customer service sucks... same posts board after board after board... company A sucks with sauce, but company B sucks out loud... hmm... well, which sucky company do i want? if the boards were subdivided by geographical region, i could find out which sucky company is the best in my area... who knows, maybe all my neighbors love sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I knew Verizon was switching to tiered. It sucks but at least I don't use a lot of data so I'll have to live with that. I just turned on my 4G. This is what I got. Turning on... Scanning... Disconnected...   Tiered is better than nothing.

Journeyman

Is there an Evo 3D coming to T-Mobile??? I believe I'll wait and see.

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/06/htc-evo-3d-passes-fcc-with-t-mobile-aws-bands-on-board/

Highlighted
Journeyman

it won't go to tmobile. it's probably going to some company in canada that operates on the same bands. they use the FCC because the canadian version will honor the FCC, but the FCC won't honor theirs... so might as well go thru ours and get the dual coverage "just in case"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ya know, I completely forgot that my work phone has Sprint service. It's an older Motorola model. I'm sitting here in my living room holding them side by. The Motorola phone stays at 4 to5 bars while my Evo is at 1 or 2. Now that I think about it I've used my work phone to make calls at places that my Evo goes to zero bars. I guess the more advanced they are the more problems they can have. It's a shame because I only came to Sprint for this phone and the problem seems too wide spread that replacing it with another isn't the solution.

Highlighted
Wizard

On my first couple of days of service after activating my 3D, I did in fact notice fewer bars, sometimes only 1 or 2.  There were even a couple of times when no bars were displaying.  However, my call clarity was no different than my EVO 4G.  After a week of having the phone, I've noticed that my 3D is now at full or nearly full bars, both at work and at home.

My d/l speeds on 3G at home hover right around 1.2 mbps.  After running speed test just now, I got my best 4G d/l speed at home, 8.02 mbps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, i've noticed that, too. it seems like every phone on every message board has a long laundry list of complaints. it's like the manufacturers got so worried about jamming the phones full of marketing gimmicks that they forgot to make a good phone! my old iPhone 3g pretty much has full bars all the time, even in stores, whereas my buddy's inspire hovers around 2 bars and can't wait to drop a call... and forget about making a call in a store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3G speeds extremely SLOW - I jumped from AT&T Unlimited for this?

I left AT&T last summer and joined Sprint - I originally got the Samsung Moment, but after the airplane mode/wireless radio defect problem, it was replaced with an HTC Hero that I still have.  The 3G speeds have decreased significantly in the past few months.  The Speedtest.net app averages anywhere between 300 kbps to 600 kbps (which is about 23 ~ 70 KBps, or old ISDN speed), not even close to low-end 768 kbps DSL speeds.  The lowest speeds I've gotten are below 100 kbps, which is not much better than an old dial-up modem and can't even be considered "broadband."  According to Sprint's site, they advertise their 3G to be between 600 kbps to 1.4 Mbps.  I don't have an Evo and there isn't 4G in my area so I can't comment on 4G speeds.  I'd like to have even a first-generation, Evo but with data speeds this slow I don't want to spend the money on a new phone.  However, call quality (voice quality) is better than AT&T's warbly underwater sound and I hardly drop calls.  I would just like to see faster data speeds here in Western MD/Northern WV.   

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat