cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd EVO 3D to malfunction...

Journeyman

I am currently on my third EVO 3D phone and it keeps rebooting itself! I did a factory reset and the problem persists. After so many malfunctioning phones, do I have the option to trade it in for a different model? It has not been 14 days since I got my first EVO 3D so I know I can simply get a fourth EVO 3D. I would think Sprint would allow me to get a different model phone without making me pay because of all the issues I've gone through with the 3D. Anyone know Sprint's policy on this?

10 REPLIES 10
GrandMaster

if it has been within the 14 day period i dont see why you wouldnt be able to. do me a quick favor though. remove the sd card and then power the phone back up. does the reboot still happen? in some cases the sd card was the actual culprit. not in all cases but its not as if this is a task that will take up your day or anything. if it works or doesnt work repost please

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Nope, didn't work. This time the phone locked up and I had to pull the battery out. I don't have any apps installed since I recently formatted the phone. I will go to a Sprint Repair Center and see if I can get it swapped with a different phone model or just get yet another replacement.

Journeyman

When I got my first EVO3D, I had the rebooting problem. It's a rare bug that HTC hasn't fixed yet. There is hope. I was able to fix it with a couple of steps and didn't have the problem again. It has to do with the cache backup.

I did the following: First I pressed the power button and selected restart. This clears any temp cache in your memory. Wait for the phone to reboot til you see your home screen. Once you  see the home screen, press power again and do a total shut down. Once the phone is shut down, take off the back cover and pull the battery. Leave the battery out for 2-3 minutes. After the time is up, place the battery back in and start your phone up as normal.

By doing all that, I was able to clear my random rebooting problem. This has worked on all the EVO 3Ds I've owned.

Journeyman

I had the same problem with my phone about 2 weeks ago(it was a new phone from the stores stock) and they replaced my phone with my 5th and current replacement for this past month

Journeyman

Re: 3rd EVO 3D to malfunction...

Try the method I posted earlier. Much like you guys, I had a 3D that started randomly rebooting after a week. It wasn't anything I did to cause it. I could happen when I was actually in a call and it happened when I wasn't using it at all. I got a new phone from Sprint and it was starting to reboot randomly also. I was nearly at the point where I was just going to return the phone and wait for the Motarola to come out. I did the reboot/restart method and have't had a random reboot in months.

Journeyman

This is odd. I went to the same Sprint Repair Center I went to last week and they refused to exchange the phone with a new one even though I am still within the 14-day exchange period. The original EVO 3D was NEW and they exchanged the phone TWICE with new ones and now they're only wanting to give me a refurbished one. This is unacceptable! They put in an order for a refurbished one and it will be in next week. I think I'll go to a different Sprint Repair Center and see if they can exchange it with a new one before my 14 days run out.

Journeyman

Me too, I thought I was the only person this was happening to, I like the phone but mine would reboot itself in the middle of a call.  So called Sprint and told them my issue, they are gonna let me use one of my upgrades (not good til may) early so that I can get another phone.  Good luck with your issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

I decided to go back to the Sprint Repair center I went to last night and spoke to a different Sprint rep. He was very helpful and had me walking out of the store with a new phone in 30 minutes. The rep I spoke with last night was not there and it is sad that Sprint would hire people like him. He lied to me and told me that there were no EVO 3Ds in the back so he HAD to order a refurbished one. I asked the rep I spoke with today and he said they have plenty of 3Ds in the back and he does not know why the other rep. was so rude to me.

I really like Sprint. I've been with Sprint for around 10 years and I've never had any problems with them. I just wish they would hire smarter people to work in their stores.

I'm on my 4th EVO 3D now and so far so good. No lockups or reboots.

Wizard

Well hopefully you have good luck from now.  I have my original EVO 3D that I bought the day it launched.  I have not had any reoccuring technical issues with it.  I have had Sense crash on me, but it hasn't been an issue since the update that resolved that problem.  When the 3D works the way its supposed to, it really is a great device.

Now if sprint could just get its 3G speeds back up.

Journeyman

Had the rebooting problems with a new EVO 3D. Sprint store tested the phone, said the battery immediately failed their test, mailed me two "re-conditioned" HTC batteries. Phone was better but almost always rebooted after a "Navigation" session. Based on what I read on several forums, I bought an Anker 1900mAh battery from Amazon and have had no problems since. ymmv. A lot of folks seem to think that particular HTC battery has problems with supplying proper voltage. Oh, the phone got warm in Navigation prior to Anker battery installation, now it stays cool.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat