cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G availability

Highlighted
Journeyman

4G availability

I'm seriously thinking about terminating my contract with Sprint after being a customer for several years. They don't have 4G in my area where other carriers do. I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth anymore, and Bill keeps going up and up. Paying more for less. Very unhappy customer.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: 4G availability

Sprint is doing a massive network upgrade. It will roll out slowly, but some customers should start seeing the changes soon, as there is a phone using the new network being released soon.

Call up Sprint or visit a local Sprint store and ask about the network upgrades. They should be able to tell you if 4G is coming soon or not. If yes, then stick around. If no, then I would suggest switching to another carrier.

Journeyman

From what I heard, 4G Wi-Max (what this phone uses) is pretty much dead.  They're pouring all of their resources into the new 4G LTE network, which is supposed to have nationwide coverage (i.e. more than the 4G is now) by the end of 2013 or something like that.  Back when I got this phone, Sprint had the best 4G coverage of any carrier.  I was just looking at coverage maps the other day and was pretty shocked to see that pretty much everyone had passed them up and left them in the dust.  Every carrier has 4G (usually LTE) where I live, except for Sprint.

Journeyman

That said, the timetable on the LTE rollout looks a lot better than the Wi-Max one did.  It's soon enough that I can be sure Sprint will have LTE where I live by the time my phone is eligible for a discounted replacement.

GrandMaster

the MAJORITY of the LTE will be out by the end of 2013..no time table on when the rest will be covered or if it will be. there are still quite a few places that for sure wont get it...they just havent said which places though

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Also, it is my understanding that 4g phones will not work on LTE unless it specifically said it would when the phone was purchased.

GrandMaster

that is correct..unless it actually says LTE then it will not work on the new LTE network.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have the HTC EVO 3D and when I put my address in the coverage map gadget on Sprint's website it claims 4G "in the building" coverage for my area...well guess what, with the window open and phone on the window ledge NO 4G. I have to go outside and make several attempts to connect to 4G and it still drops off to 3G or gets in a flip-flop between the two, which usually ends in my turning off the 4G radio. I'm not jumping into a LTE handset and new 2yr contract until I see raved LOCAL reviews about LTE and can verify someone I know has decent speed on Sprint's new LTE network. No more beta testing for Sprint on my dime.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat