cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Call Failure: Error Code 128

Journeyman

Hey Folks,

Wondering if y'all might have some insight, i have an HTC Evo 3D and starting yesterday afternoon (8/22) and all day today i am getting a message "Data Call Failure error code 128. unable to establish wireless data connection. if the problem persists, please contact your mobile phone company"  this message shows up nearly everytime i pull the ring to open the phone. This is happening in places that have always worked and have had some cell coverage.  i am sometimes unable to make calls and use any apps that require data/phone , then other times after i touch  "dismiss" and the phone is fine. I know there was an event today, but the latest message occured around 1900 (now 1955), well after the earthquake, and it was happening before said event. I have tried the old BB trick of pulling the battery, and still having the problem. I have another Sprint cellphone (samsung sph-m910) it has not shown the message and has been working fine.  fwiw this is occuring in NY, Long Island in Suffolk County (different areas, not localized to one zip code, but on the north shore).  I have had the phone for less than a month.  Any ideas?!  Thank you!!  Hyla00

49 REPLIES 49
Wizard

Sorry for the inconvenience here, please try this: home > menu > settings > system updates > update profile >

Device Configuration - The network is preparing your service. Please wait appears.

• Do not interrupt this process.
  • If the screen goes into sleep mode, tap the screen to wake up the phone.
  • Do not hold down the End key as it will interrupt the process.

When the Update is complete prompt appears, tap OK to return to Home screen.

And then please test it out and let us know here if that resolves the issue. Thanks!

Journeyman

just tried that, when i went to home, i got the error code, menu, got the error code and so on went to update profile and got the code. at the message "network preparing your sevices" got the code. then screen changed and displayed update is complete and changes will now be applied. then the screen displays the error code again.

Journeyman

Also, i performed the software update (2.08.651.2) on 8/18/11.

Journeyman

I'm also getting this and it's driving me insane. I'll sit back and see how you guys work through it because I'd really like to avoid another 2 hour wait at my local Sprint store. Already updated the profile, PRL, everything about 3 times. Already pulled the battery. The message comes up every time I wake my phone up, every time I send a text, every time I open the internet, pretty much every 5 seconds and I'm losing my mind here. I worked with tech support on the phone and they didn't know what the problem was, so if you happen to get any clues please let me know.

Thanks

Journeyman

Looks like this is a developing situation and is being investigated!  lets see what happens!

Wizard

Re: Data Call Failure: Error Code 128

This is an issue we have been seeing a lot of today. We have seem some luck with a profile update, but it's not a guaranteed fix. This is a developing issue still being investigated.

If anyone else is having this issue, please post so we can get as much information as possible and get this issue resolved as quickly as possible for you.

Journeyman

FWIW, i am now losing my 3G intermittently and unable to go on web!

Journeyman

I noticed this problem when I first got home with my new EVO 3D last night, didn't think much of it but tried the fix of updating profile and now it seems like it is happening all the time with me, not data connection, keeps popping up with error 128 :/

Journeyman

In Albuquerque, NM.

Also have the same error message. It's causing unreliable 3G service or complete loss of data connection. Phone service and text still works.

Just tried updating the profile. Rebooting phone now. Will advise if that works.

-Robert

Journeyman

No deal.

It fixed it for a few minutes. Then it dropped 3G data service and popped the error again.

Journeyman

It was suggested by _emanuscript on another related thread to reset web browser  to default (internet-more-settings-reset to default) and to perform all four system updates (settings-system updates)  I have tried this and have not gotten the error code since.  it has not been long.  i will check back tomorrow if all is well or not.  if you try this and it works make sure you goto the other thread and let _emanuscript know.  Same title, different punctuation and capitalization. Thank you _emanuscript!!!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat