cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

Journeyman

Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

By the way, I still see few reports of EVO 3D lockups and spontaneous reboots on online forums, and I have colleagues with highly stable EVO 3Ds, so I suspect a hardware problem is going to be behind these problems.

Journeyman

Hey Everyone,

I'm the guy who originally started this thread and am happy to report I went into the Sprint store yesterday and they gave me a brand new EVO 3D.  I'm knocking on wood here, but so far, I've have no problems.  It hasn't restarted, it's not disconnected from the network anymore, and I haven't seen it restart itself once. 

If you guys are having issues, I strongly reccomend returning your phone to the Sprint store for a replacement. 

Good luck.

Litephish724

Journeyman

Litephish,

It's a couple of days later. Is the new phone working better?

A forum thread of others experiencing this same problem is at http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/363924-random-rebooting.html

Journeyman

Hey arencambre -- Yes,this EVO 3D (new) replacement has been PERFECT since I left the Sprint store 3 days ago.  No lock ups, no random reboots, my service seems better (more bars),so the new phone seemed to do the trick.  I know they released quite a few OTA updates today, hopefully these updates are helping the folks still having issues.  I'm going to check out the Android forum you've linked me to and post my experiences there.

How is your 3D doing????

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem. I activated this phone Thursday afternoon.  Friday evening after sending a text I turned off the screen.  It wouldn't turn back on until I pulled the battery.  I turned it off over night and when I tried to turn it on this morning it vibrated and the home icons lit up, but screen and phone won't turn on.  I haven't tried pulling the battery again, but I can't keep doing this every time I want to use the phone.  Not to mention that the battery cover is hard to get off without scratching the phone!  This is ridiculous for such an expensive phone!

I bought this phone at sprint.com.  Does anyone know if I have to go back through them or can I go to a Sprint store?

Journeyman

I got a warranty replacement phone on Friday. So this is my second phone.

• Day 1: get the new one about 4:45 PM. At around 6:30, in area with great signal strength, and find that phone's signal strength indicator is bouncing between 4/5 bars and no signal (all bars grayed out with an X superimposed). Reboot had no effect. Had to hard reset to fix. This was the hard reset where you disable the fast start and hold the volume down button while powering on.
  • Day 2: While idle (either in belt holder or sitting on a table--cannot remember), phone became unresponsive and required battery R&R. I admittedly tried one of those temp roots, so I did another hard reset to flush out anything bad.
  • Day 3: Just got through using Google Reader. Put phone in belt holder. A few minutes later, I felt a vibration. Pulled phone out and noticed it was rebooting. Put it back in holder. 10 minutes later, I get a phone call. Drag the X to the loop to send the call to voicemail. Then enter my 4 digit PIN to sign in (required per corporate ActiveSync policy), and all I see is the white screen with HTC for a few minutes. Phone finally shows main screen, but acts sluggishly. I didn't try to do anything, just let it sit there. Within a couple of minutes, phone spontaneously reboots again. Ugh. Let it reboot, seems to come up more quickly this time, but I didn't touch anything. Within a couple of minutes, phone spontaneously reboots again (third time!).

At no time has my battery been particularly low. Right now it's at about 40%, and that's the lowest it's been since I got it.

Do I really have 2 bad phones in a row? Or is something wrong with the EVO 3D?

Journeyman

please let me contact her and see if she can help me. i know this is the 3D forum but my evo 4g issues are killing me and sprint isnt helping me here

Journeyman

Hey Guys,

The problem is with the GPS I believe..  I started having the rebooting issues after installing numerous applications that do any sort of location based tracking (which is just about every app out there).   After the 3rd factory reset, I decided to watch carefully what I load on to my phone...  I started with loading google+ - working fine, loaded FB for Android, working fine.. loaded Compass Banking... working fi.. oh crap, rebooted when looking up location for branches..

Factory reset again.  So for the reboot issues, I would remember what you are loading on to your phone and look at the permissions before you install it.  Take notes post them here or other htc support web sites.  It is quite possible there could be some contention when multiple apps try to locate your location at the same time and causing the 3d to hiccup.

JMTC -

Rick

Journeyman

USYTTERR

You have to go to a SPRINT corporate store. Not the regular Sprint locations run by a third party phone company.

I'm so disappointed with the phone as I am having the same issues. Hoping its just a bad phone. Will need to replace.

Journeyman

If you want to do a factory reset -

Remove Battery

Hold Volume Rocker Down and Press the Power button

There will be a menu that pops up to reset the phone.

This will wipe the phone of all of its data and applications -

Once the phone is back up and running - 1st download a backup application to back up all of your data to the SD card.

Track your application loading - and if it goes in to reboot mode again remember that last app you loaded on it and submit a bug report.

Keep in mind, you are the first kid on the block to have a cool 3d phone (that may or may not randomly reboot). The early adopters fee to be first in line is generally a slight chance of failure somewhere along the line.  If you want stability and a totally locked down ecosystem that is reminiscent of the Borg... go for an Iphone.  If you want to have the latest and greatest, take some lumps, move on and wait for a patch. I am personally waiting for them to unlock the boot loader so the devs at Cyanagenmod can get their hand on this...

Rick

Journeyman

ok....will do sir......you are right, i just got kinda upset about the phone not workin and resetting all the time but that is what new technology is about....the first few runs will have some bugs......thanks rick

Journeyman

No worries, when mine started rebooting, I was a little less than enthusiastic.  Then I reminded myself why I have the phone..  because it's Sprint, HTC and does things that I never thought a phone would do 10 years ago.  My EVO4G was rock solid from the beginning, then I rooted it, flashed it, broke it, reloaded it, reflashed it, put CM7 on it, backed it up, put another image on it, restored it etc.. etc..  and for day 2, I think I just let it sit there running at 1.2ghz used it as a phone for a while. When I root the 3d, I think it will probably be rebooted 100 times before I'm happy with it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat