cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email push problems?

Patron

Email push problems?

Am I doing something wrong in terms of how I set my email up? I have it checking every 5 mins, yet the emails are not "pushed" to the phone unless I go in and check email which is when it does it's refresh and a stream of emails hours old show up.

What's frustrating is I never had this problem with BB, now this phone seems like it has so many gliches and bugs.

Help.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Wizard

Email push problems?

What email provider do you have?

Highlighted
Patron

Email push problems?

Thanks for the response. I have Yahoo!

Highlighted

Email push problems?

I had a blackberry before the EVO and thats the one thing I miss.  Even at the maximum refresh setting  its not near as nice as my bb tour was at getting emails pushed.   I use yahoo as well.

Highlighted
Patron

Re: Email push problems?

I had the BB Tour as well. Great phone, but lacked good internet capabilities. That among other things is what drew me to the EVO, but this issue with email is really bothering me. I don't have just "one" email address...depending on what business I'm conducting I have several. As you mention above, even at the maximum refresh setting it seems like the email "push" feature is hit or miss. It gives a "last update time", and I'm thinking to myself "I know I have received some email during that time" and low and behold, I hit refresh and a batch of emails comes through (way more than 5 mins old - max refresh rate)! Not sure what the deal is...I have 2 gmail and 2 yahoo emails set up and it seems like the push functionality is not accurate on any account.  Of course I haven't tried the dedicated gmail or yahoo apps, but I shouldn't have too! I never did with BB. I think that until the email situation becomes more reliable, these types of phones will not get to that next "step". It has great features, but lacks that "professional" feeling. Thinking I should have stuck with my BB and invested in a tablet for those additional "fun" features.

Next stop is trying some other email client like "K-9" - which is free, so I am already hesitant about it. Anyone out there have any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Master

Email push problems?

Delete Yahoo Email Account from the phone and download Yahoo Email App directly from the Android Market and set up Yahoo email.

Manual Set up Instructions.

• Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
  • Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL)
  • Username: full email address (bill@yahoo.com)
  • Password: is the password you login to Yahoo! With.

If the Yahoo Email App from the Android Market doesn’t work, would suggest K-9 App as a workaround solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem with my Yahoo accounts.  The yahoo client is not a valid solutions for me.  Like the OP, I check 4 accounts.  2-Yahoo, 1-POP, 1-Exchange.  K-9 is not a solution either as it will not check my hosted Exchange account and it does not have a "New Message" counter in the icon.

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks for the response Abe2020. I think part of the problem is that I don't want a "work around". I take blame for not doing better research on my part before crossing over to the Android platform. I may have not been so easy to be lured over by the bells and whistles of the EVO. Like I mentioned in my post, I don't want an app for gmail and an app for yahoo, I want my email in one organized place.

K-9 is free service which is great on the outside, but gives the impression of a "work in progress" open community development which conveys a sense of having a higher vulnerability for attack.  BB had dedicated email servers.

I'm pretty certain the many BB owners that also were lured over by the latest and greatest EVO 3D are finding themselves in the same frustration boat.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not just blackberry users, it is any one who uses a Yahoo email account.  I made the move from an iPhone.  I am having the same issues you are.  I have about 6 days left before my 30 day trial expires.  I just ported my number last Monday.  I am starting to think that was a bad decision.  I have tried to stay positive but after almost a month of ups and downs with my Yahoo email accounts, I am seriously considering going back to the iPhone.

Highlighted

When I first got the 3d email updates were horrible with yahoo.  This did not happen with my 4g on the froyo OS.  When gingerbread came out a lot of people that use yahoo were having the same problem with updates.  One of the "cures" was to download the Yahoo app from market (as abe202 suggests).  I agree with you I want to keep the stock app but I went ahead and installed yahoo anyway.  To my surprise once I had the new yahoo app downloaded the old one started working correctly again and I'm not sure why.  There are settings for how often your email program will refresh.  I recommend you set these to the fastest setting although it does use more battery.  The EVO 3d won't be as good as the blackberry at email push but it can come close.  Blackberry owns the road when it comes to email functionality.  I would also make sure your gmail settings are at the fastest refresh rate too.  Good luck,  Rick

Highlighted
Journeyman

After calling in to Sprint tech support yesterday, I did a factory data reset on my phone.  So far it is working like it should.  We will see how long it lasts.  If your contacts are synced with gmail, it is really not that big a deal to do a factory data reset.  The only thing I lost was SMS messages (no big deal for me).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.  For the post. I'm having the exact same problem.  I'll try a factory rest.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat