cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo 3D not connecting to Wi-Fi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Evo 3D not connecting to Wi-Fi

Trying to connect my phone to my home network. Says it has signal but wont obtain the IP address. Tells my to hold the wps button for 5 seconds. What does this mean. Pleas could someone walk me through this process

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Evo 3D not connecting to Wi-Fi

The WPS button is a security feature on most routers.  It should be a physical button on the router you can press and hold to connect devices to your wireless network.  Try looking for this button on your router after you've gotten this message and pressing it to see if you can get it to push the wireless key to your device so it will obtain the IP address and establish the connection.

You may need to turn the WPS feature off on the router in order to connect your Evo. 

Journeyman

My router doesnt have a wps option. How else can I obtain the ip to my phone.

Wizard

What type of router are you using?  Can you provide a full model number, I'll see if I can find anything helpful.  Have you been able to connect to any other WiFi connections before?

Journeyman

Its a microsoft HN-700. Its pretty old unit. Havent tried connecting anywhere else.

GrandMaster

even the older routers have a reset button on them. its not the power button but a small button you normally wouldnt notice. i had the same issue orignally with my evo and just hitting that ...giving it a second to boot back up...then doing the search again on the phone worked. if for some odd reason your router doesnt have that button you can probably just power it down for a few seconds and then power it back up...should have the same results.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy - not sure why a reset would be needed for this.

@mend01 - you are right - that is an old router and almost certainly won't have WPS. You would need to find out whether the router's wifi signal is encrypted, and if so, how (WEP, WPA, WPA-2). Once you know that (and assuming you know the passphrase/password), you should be able to connect your phone to that signal by going to your wireless settings on your phone, and tapping on your wifi signal's SSID name.

(Note: if that doesn't work, it could be because your router may have MAC ID filtering enabled, and if that is the case, you'll need to go to your router's administration page to add your phone's MAC ID to the permitted device list)

HTH!

GrandMaster

why reset the ruoter?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes - unless you meant a power cycle (disconnect power and connect it back after a few seconds)

Resetting the router will reset all settings that the user might have set previously - encryption password, SSID name, port forwarding (if set), DMZ settings (if set), etc... Resetting should really be the last option.

Wizard

Sorry - I'm late back to the party.  Thanks for your input jj14x, you're right, the routers pretty old and does not have any WPS features on it. The MAC filtering would certinaly be something to see if it is turned on. Here's a link for the user manual for your router.  MAC filtering is addressed on page 25

I'd also see if you can connect your phone to a different WiFi network next time you're at a Starbucks/McD's etc that offer free WiFi.  If you can, then there's obviously something we need to figure out with the router - I'd also hold off on resetting for as long as possible in case you have any other wireless devices already configured to your network to avoid having to re-config everything.

GrandMaster

power cycle...every other time i have heard it refrenced it was called a reset. but yah..one of the OS updates for some odd reason wouldnt let me use my home wifi...did a power cycle and then had the phone search it out again and it worked fine.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat