cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 3D - Charge port problem

Highlighted
Master

I am concerned about the charge port being in the side, specially since most of the features of this phone will be on landscape mode. I wonder if the designers ever stepped back and looked at the functionality of what they were doing??

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Tags (3)
31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

I have been amazed that not many have noticed this issue. I have informed HTC and Sprint several months ago that this is problematic. This because the device is supposed to be a phone held in the upright position and this port would be an obstruction. Also consider most drop in charging ports are designed for upright charging. Thou the phone does have many great features, like the internal memory. You will need internal memory for all the crap Sprint automatically installs on your phone. If I wanted Nascar I would have added it but  Sprint decided I needed it.

I believe this phone will be a huge flop, because what is the difference between 3D as your eye's tend to see things in perspective. I think Sprint has a lot of nerve selling this new phone with 4G capabilities when 3 quarters of their service area is not 4G capable. That seems to be like offering Champaign knowing there is none!

Wizard

Hello!

While I am not on the design team for the EVO 3D, I believe I can speak a bit to this to help address your concerns. More and more, what were once just cell phones have taken on new roles. The idea of using your phone as a portable video player is one that speaks to many customers and with the large screen displays, devices like the EVO 3D are a outstanding choice for this sort of usage. As its pretty common for video to be in widescreen these days, the expected position for watching video would be horizontal.  I expect that any charging docks also would be designed to this, so that you can pop the phone in the charger and still keep watching your videos. It is even positioned in a way so that you can easily hold the phone in landscape mode without having to do finger-yoga just to get a good grip.

Believe me, we are aware that 4G coverage is not completely comprehesive, but it does cover literally millions of people whom can take advantage of it. It would be a little silly of us to not give  options to those customers to make use of it.

I also know that not everyone is a fan of 3D. Some feel that it's not quite up to where it should be commercially, while others just don't like it. While the 3D definately stands out with top billing of its features, it's not alone in the impressive features of the phone. The 1.2 GHz dual core processor, a 4.3" qHD screen, out of the box Android Gingerbread. Even dismissing the 3D, it's still a heavyweight phone.

Check out the phone, I think you might be surprised about it.

Journeyman

Thou I agree the HTC EVO 3D seems to offer a wide range of capabilities, I would like to point out a few things. First question has to do with battery life, especially when most clips are quite lengthy. My second issue and concern would be the long term stress on eye's where varying light conditions can most certainly have a huge affect on the visual performance seen in most PDA phones. Now comes the battery issue where its doubtful  that performance has not been improved. Lets see, while going blind watching my HTC EVO 3D I want to make a call but all of the sudden the phone turns off. The phones battery just died and I quess I should buy 5 batteries and fully charge them, if I want to use the phone. Listen I believe the charge port is a poor design flaw that will likely be blamed for malfunctions related to the charging system. The primary reason this will occur will be because when someone uses this phone in the upright position, the charging wire will be in the way. The failure will be within the charging port, as it is not meant to be constantly manipulated. Well, Sprint offers a warrantee program on their phones, I would highly recomend when purchasing this phone, you add the insurance. If you do have to replace your phone, don't worry Sprint will be happy to send you a reconditioned one instead. As for the movie viewers I am happy, because you will be able to spot every HTC EVO 3D owner from a distance. They will be the one's with the walking stick with a red tip on the end!

COCOBEAUHAIRE1 wrote:

Thou I agree the HTC EVO 3D seems to offer a wide range of capabilities, I would like to point out a few things. First question has to do with battery life, especially when most clips are quite lengthy. My second issue and concern would be the long term stress on eye's where varying light conditions can most certainly have a huge affect on the visual performance seen in most PDA phones. Now comes the battery issue where its doubtful  that performance has not been improved. Lets see, while going blind watching my HTC EVO 3D I want to make a call but all of the sudden the phone turns off. The phones battery just died and I quess I should buy 5 batteries and fully charge them, if I want to use the phone. Listen I believe the charge port is a poor design flaw that will likely be blamed for malfunctions related to the charging system. The primary reason this will occur will be because when someone uses this phone in the upright position, the charging wire will be in the way. The failure will be within the charging port, as it is not meant to be constantly manipulated. Well, Sprint offers a warrantee program on their phones, I would highly recomend when purchasing this phone, you add the insurance. If you do have to replace your phone, don't worry Sprint will be happy to send you a reconditioned one instead. As for the movie viewers I am happy, because you will be able to spot every HTC EVO 3D owner from a distance. They will be the one's with the walking stick with a red tip on the end!

I just want to clarify something.  Do you have the EVO 3d?  I do have the phone and although its early it seems to a very nice phone.  I'll report back on the specifics after I've used it for a while, Rick.

Journeyman

Now that's funny man I still can't wait to pick my phone up tomorrow

Journeyman

That makes no sense. So they should sell 4g phones until the entire world is 4g? aren't all cars able to go faster than the speed limit? Should all cars stop being sold until the increase the spead limit?

Journeyman

It's a great phone. I ordered mine on tuesday and got it Wed. It took some getting used to because it's slightly different than the 4g, but it's a nice piece of equipment. You'll love it

Journeyman

I'll try to explain to you. so your able to understand. Sprint has advertised for more than 2 years phones with 4g capabilities and I live 30 miles from Albany,NY. That said, maybe you have 4g service in your area, but Albany,NY and surrounding areas do not. As to your point pertaining to cars, most are built to perform faster than the speed limits in the USA. Now I know of no automobile manufacturer that advertise their vehicles to exceed the speed limit. Unless you consider V4, V6 and V8. So if your not able to understand my point, than try not whacking your head when sitting down. 

Journeyman

You'll try to explain it to me so I understand? lmao! trust me. I know my IQ is higher than yours so don't act like a fool. LET ME TYPE THIS IN BIG LETTERS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. This has nothing to do with where you live. You live in an area that doesn't have 4g yet, but you're talking about the company not selling 4g phones because you don't have 4g. That makes no sense! So you can talk like you're educated all you want, but it still makes no sense. I'm not trying to be rude to you and I'm sorry if it comes off like that but I hear this so much and I guess I'm just taking it out on you. I never understood that philosophy. A company is not going to create something unless there is a demand. there are 4G tech out there so there's a demand for 4g towers. The more towers that get put up the more demand for phones. It will grow, but I'd rather buy a future proof phone. That said. I'm in PA and we have 4g all over the place. Still not 100% like 3G for everywhere I go in PA but I know they'll get there.

Wizard

COCOBEAUHAIRE1 wrote:

I have been amazed that not many have noticed this issue. I have informed HTC and Sprint several months ago that this is problematic. This because the device is supposed to be a phone held in the upright position and this port would be an obstruction. Also consider most drop in charging ports are designed for upright charging. Thou the phone does have many great features, like the internal memory. You will need internal memory for all the **** Sprint automatically installs on your phone. If I wanted Nascar I would have added it but  Sprint decided I needed it.

I believe this phone will be a huge flop, because what is the difference between 3D as your eye's tend to see things in perspective. I think Sprint has a lot of nerve selling this new phone with 4G capabilities when 3 quarters of their service area is not 4G capable. That seems to be like offering Champaign knowing there is none!

The Evo 3D is an awesome phone on both 3G and 4G networks.  I've been using mine for a day and a half.  I'll be honest, I didn't take a lot of pictures with my previous phone, an Evo 4G, and I probably won't be taking a lot of pictures with my 3D.  I don't think the ability to capture 3D images is gimmicky by any means.  It's actually quite cool.  I took a couple pictures out by the pool.  Having the images in 3D really captured the action. 

What I love about the phone is how fast it is. 

The screen is gorgeous.  Holding it side-by-side with my Evo 4G and there really is no comparison. 

Sense 3.0 rocks. 

The larger battery and better power management gave me a solid 10 hours of above normal use, taking pictures, making close to 2 hours of calls, sending and recieving dozens of text and emails.

There are no issues using the phone while its charging.  I easily held it in my right hand and the cord wasn't a distraction at all.  Additionally, there is a docking cradle that holds the phone in landscape position.  This allows the device to charge/output to HD while in the cradle.  It makes sense to me.

You bet this phone will be a huge flop?  I'd take that bet.

Journeyman

For those of you that don't have 4G....the 10$ add-on is for, directly quoted from a family friend that works for Sprint "a charge to support and expand our 4G WiMax network, not just a way to get free money." He himself is using a 4G enabled device and cannot take advantage of this, so I'm assuming that he found out the real reason for the $10....just saying

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat