cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 3D Swype not working after system update

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 3D Swype not working after system update

I did the dl.. again... still isnt working. I have been all over this forum. Seems like everyone is passing the buck and blaming everyone else. htc says its swype, swype says its htc and sprint, sprint says its htc and swype. lets get it together people. bottom line is my service is thru sprint, not htc or swype. As my provider, I expect things to work the way they should. Is that too much to ask? I have been a customer for over 12 years. I actually work for another provider, but choose to keep my service with Sprint because of the service I have received in the past. Im starting to rethink this. I only have 2 phones in contract, and those are quickly approaching their end. May have to rethink providers. Very disappointed

Journeyman

Not touching this update until Swype issue is addressed, but how do I get the update notification to go away in the interim?  It won't clear from the status bar.

Journeyman

Ive had this update for nearly a week and Swype still does not work on my phone. Im very upset about this and i demand it be fixed now. I use my EVO 3D for my job and it is really slowing things down and frustrating me not being able to utilize the speed that swype offers via the keyboard. Fix this now. or in june when my contract is up im jumping ship. Hello AT&T, and Verizon.

Journeyman

This is a reply from the 20th

"Ok, there is a fix! Click on this link http://www.swype.com/category/get-swype/ from your evo 3d and download the Beta version.

I downloaded the installer, then downloaded and installed Swype Beta and enabled it on my phone and low and behold I am swyping again!  Yay!

And thank you to the Sprint Social care person, kelly, for finding this solution and sending it to me.  Great customer service " It worked for me I hope that it helps everyone else

Journeyman

Hi Krishel- do you have any new word on an official fix for this?  It's stunning to me that everyone (Sprint, HTC, etc.) knows about this problem, yet the update is still being pushed to phones that don't have it.  I haven't updated my wife's phone after it ruined mine, and she still has a persisitent notification that an update is available.  I'm up for renewal April 1 and planned on renewing with an HTC One.  I certainly can't imagine that's going to happen, now.

Journeyman

@Super_C You can manually download the most recent version of the Swype keyboard at http://www.swype.com/category/get-swype/ you just have to be on your phone. Mine is working perfectly now.

Journeyman

Against ALL OF MY BETTER JUDGMENT! I went and Downloaded the Swype Beta- but it's CRAP, you CAN NOT turn off the "haptic" vibrate sensation when you HIT EVERY KEY!! It's in the settings as an option, but is greyed out so you can't change it!! I WILL NOT BE STAYING WITH SPRINT OR HTC!!!! SHAME ON YOU BOTH FOR THIS FAIL!

Journeyman

Against ALL OF MY BETTER JUDGMENT! I went and Downloaded the Swype Beta- but it's ****, you CAN NOT turn off the "haptic" vibrate sensation when you HIT EVERY KEY!! It's in the settings as an option, but is greyed out so you can't change it!! I WILL NOT BE STAYING WITH SPRINT OR HTC!!!! SHAME ON YOU BOTH FOR THIS FAIL!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks much PAYEARSLEY, but I don't want to install beta software on my phone and I also don't want to lose my (enormous) custom dictionary.  I just want my phone to work like its supposed to.

Master

HTC is working on an update to fix the Swype issue. Until that time, the workaround is to use an alternative keyboard temporarily. The Swype BETA (The actual real true Swype, not customized by HTC/Samsung/LG/etc.) is the closest alternative and is free, otherwise other keyboards like the built-in HTC keyboard or SwiftKey and others are available in the Play Store if you prefer.

It's not the end of the world to use an alternate keyboard for a few weeks potentially as HTC fixes the issue and releases the update.

Journeyman

You're correct, it's not the end of the world.  But it's completely inexcusable for Sprint/HTC to allow this update to go out without testing a built-in input function!!!  The whole value propsition for Swype is that it's faster and easier then typing on a standard on-screen keyboard.  And this is completely true.  So to downplay people's anger with this obvious misstep on the part of Sprint/HTC is to assert that they should just accept paid-for functionality just disappearing!  What if you were a real estate agent that used your camera every day and it was a critical part of your job and then one day and update came out and the camera didn't work?  Would that be okay?  Not at all.  This is no different.

Journeyman

I agree, I am not too happy right now...After 13 years; I dont like suprises. I want my swipe messaging back now...and I do not plan on downloading anything to get it; because I didnt take it off.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat