cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 3D Swype not working after system update

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 3D Swype not working after system update

Is it possible to rollback the upgrade and have swype work?  What if I returned my phone back to its original state?  Would swype work then?  I tried the Beta and my phone keeps freaking out.  I unistalled Beta and phone works fine again.  This is frustrating that the issue has not been fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And I've noticed that our ability to set contacts back to the default ringtone is gone... AGAIN!  This update is fail.  ROLLBACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

Journeyman

So this literally just happened to me today.  I don't even recall allowing an update through.  Kind of appalled to learn that this has been known for almost two months and the updates were still being pushed.

Hope this gets fixed soon because my phone is unbearable to use without the swype functionality now that I'm used to it but I refuse to install a beta version just to get it to work.

Journeyman

I've been waiting patiently, but am getting rather impatient.  I downloaded a free "swipe-able" app, but it isn't the same.  Frustrating, makes me want to give up on Sprint and smartphones.  I had my old phone for 8 years before I upgraded to the EVO 3D, maybe I should have just stayed in the stone-age of cell phones at least then things worked and I didn't have pushed updates that crashed my phone.  Not happy, not happy at all.  I think my next phone upgrade will NOT be an HTC.

Journeyman

Indeed.  If it weren't for this nonsense, I would be the owner of an HTC One on a renewed Sprint contract right now.  I don't really want to go to Verizon, but I'm certainly not going to AT&T and I just left T-Mobile after 10 years (this was my first phone with Sprint and my 2 year commitment ended this month).  Unfortunately, it seems that moving to Verizon is the only option I have.  Ironically, one of the main reasons I joined Sprint was because I was under the impression that they had the best customer service of all four.  8-/

Journeyman

I force stop my current not working Swype and then install this trial instead. but it says it collects all data that you input...be aware of it.  not happy about it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.trial

Journeyman

Note that as of 4/22, the Swype Beta Test program was closed.  Which means you have to "register" on their forums in the Beta Test group, and I'm assuming once you are accepted they'll send you a link to the beta version of the program to install.  I registered yesterday and am still waiting on a response.

So the only 2 options for immediate download are the paid version (which if you are paying, you might as well consider other keyboard apps also like Swift Key), or the "trial" version which only works for 30 days.  I don't have any faith that Sprint or HTC will get this license issue resolved in the next 30 days, it took forever to get ICS afterall, which means the 30 day free trial is also worthless.  They are too busy with updates to the new GS4 and HTC One to worry about fixing Swype on our old Evo 3D's.  All in all it's pretty bogus.  I was using Swift Key free trial for the past month and didn't even notice the Swype license issue until now, and when I go to install the Beta I can't even do that.  They better get this fixed soon, or at LEAST allow people to download the beta version.  30 day free trials are worthless in this situation, and why would you pay for an app you already paid for once (when you bought the phone).

Journeyman

bobby2478 wrote:

I don't have any faith that Sprint or HTC will get this license issue resolved in the next 30 days, it took forever to get ICS afterall, which means the 30 day free trial is also worthless.  They are too busy with updates to the new GS4 and HTC One to worry about fixing Swype on our old Evo 3D's.

Yup.  It's already been nearly two months with no fix.  It's pretty convenient for them that all of the problems go away if you simply buy their new, HTC One though, huh?

Journeyman

So how's the fix coming?

I haven't seen any updates in a while.  Complaints, either.  The top of this thread says "branched to a new discussion".  Great way to keep from reminding everyone in this thread about the issue whenever a reply is posted, btw.  But when I click the link, it says I don't have access to the branched discussion...

BTW, I'm under the impression that Sprint (and other carriers?) won't push out updates unless the manufacturer pays them a significant amount of money to do so.  I heard this from a Sprint rep, but I found a bit of confirmation by Googling "manufacturer has to pay the carrier".  If it costs HTC money to push an update, it's even less incentive for them to do so (for a phone nearing the two-year mark, when many users would drop it anyway).

Anyway, my 3vo died two months ago.  It was completely dead when I tried to turn it on after a night connected to the charger.  Once I got the battery to charge (in my friend's 3vo), the phone just boot-loop.  I had the insurance, but they couldn't do anything in the store.  Factory reset wouldn't work, and we eventually decided it was probably a hardware problem.  But of course, they didn't have parts for an "old" phone in-store.  They didn't even have a working battery to test with... I didn't want to pay $100 for a potentially-defective refurbished one with broken Swype, so I gave up on that thing.

Journeyman

I just got the software update that fixes the Swype problem. It's working great now

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat