cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Journeyman

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to read up on any of the reviews of the 3D that hit this week? I'll include a link to another forum with links to the reviews and feedback. Note the main areas that the reviewers expressed concern were around:

• Battery Life (Not much of a concern really, reviewers had every radio on and were using everything at once)

• Poor Call Voice Quality - This was common across multiple reviews and is somewhat concerning

• Issues with Reception - This wasn't as common, but is somewhat concerning nevertheless

I'd be curious if Sprint / HTC are aware of these issues experienced by the reviewers of the 3D, and if they have any way to fix them (potentially via OTA)? While the call quality reports do have me somewhat concerned, I will still try the device for myself on launch day and see for myself whether these issues are critical for me or not. The reason for me posting this thread isn't to start a panic that the Evo3D is garbage, but more in an effort to increase Sprint/HTC's visibility into these pre-launch reviews, so they can hopefully research to see if there are in fact any bugs (such as with call quality or reception). If they identify bugs, perhaps they can be fixed via OTA update?

So while the review comments do have me concerned, at this point they will not deter me from getting the 3D. I'll try it out on launch day and see for myself if it is right for me or not. I'm #1 on the pre-order list and won't sacrifice that just because of some inconsistent reviews done on what may not even be the final software we'll see on launch day.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/354873-evo-3d-reviews.html

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Wizard

The issues regarding call quality had me somewhat concerned.  For the most part, call quality on my Evo is really good and no one has reported difficulty understanding me when I call them.  I still plan on getting my 3D.  If the call quality is completely unacceptable, I send it back. 

I don't plan on getting rid of my EVO right away, so I can always go back to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats disappointing. I been researching on this phone and its an improvement from the HTC 4g but if the signal is horrible then what's the point of getting this phone if you can't connect properly. Hopefully HTC can realize this issue and fix it with an update if possible.

Highlighted
Master

As of right now there is no official reviews, meaning that no reviews were made from ppl that took the phones to the max.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted

Because of the coverage situation with Sprint my phone call quality has been sub-par.  I wonder if that might have something to do with the reviews at the link you posted.  Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.  I'm still going to get the EVO 3d  because you have thirty days to try it out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

PC Mag has done a complete review of this phone - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386960,00.asp.

This has me very concerned since i'm planning on dumping my BB but if the phone and the internet exhibit poor reception I might change my mind. These are core features that should work flawlessly before dabbling in 3D or other snazzy features. I use my phone a lot when I travel and I need a solid phone/internet! I might take my name off the list if I see more articles about the phone/internet reception. I am definitely not rushing in to get the phone when it is released. It's a shame because i'm #2 on the list in my area to get it.

Steve

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just saw that Motorola announced on June 9th their new 4G Sprint phone called the Photon 4G that will become available this summer. This changes everything since it is a dual core processor and shares many of the features that the EVO 3D has minus the 3D. Honestly, I wasn't all that interested in the 3D and HTC should have offered a non-3D model. The Photon has an 8 mp camera AND A KICKSTAND. There is even a seperate HDMI port and not a shared HDMI/mini-usb port. Check out the comparison here - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/164669/20110617/htc-evo-3d-samsung-galaxy-s2-motorola-photon-4g.htm

Steve

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you go to the link I posted at the top of this thread, there is a very in depth discussion that follows all of the reviews and the reviewer's findings.  While the fact that SOME reviewers stated issues with call voice quality and reception you will want to note this was NOT universal across ALL reviews.  As such who knows whether this is a defect with the device, or whether the review was done in an area with poor signal for Sprint.  As with everything, these initial reviews should be used to help you make your decision, but personally I won't base 100% of my judgement on someone else's opinion.

I am going to try this phone out for myself on launch day and see if I experience any issues.  If there are in fact call quality issues where I feel I can't use the device how I want, then I'll evaluate getting a different device possibly.  But I want to physically try it for myself and let my own findings be the source of my decision.  The reviewer comments do have me somewhat concerned, but that doesn't change the fact I want to try it for myself and see if their concerns are exaggerated or overblown.

I wanted to start this thread on Sprint so that Sprint and HTC reps can hopefully get some visibility into the reviews and their findings.  If there are in fact issues with call quality or reception, if they are aware of them, then they may be able to fix them via an OTA update or something.  Sprint and HTC were very good about pushing out fixes/updates to the Evo4G, which is in fact one of the reasons why I want to stick with HTC as other manufacturers haven't shown the same level of support.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In regards to the Motorola Photon, this is definitely a phone on par with the Evo 3D, and will come out later this year.  If you can wait a few months until it is released (no official release date announced yet, likely to be late summer though) in order to compare it to other devices, that's definitely a possibility.  One thing to note is that the Evo 3D uses HTC Sense 3.0, and Sense is widely regarded as the best manufacturer overlay for Android that's currently available.  The Motorola will come with Moto Blur, which has been reviewed as one of the worst.  That's another thing to take into consideration: the software on the phone and how good of support you will get from that manufacturer not just for bug fixes, but also for updates to the latest version of Android in a timely fashion.

So while the Photon is very similar to the Evo 3D, and does include a kickstand, it's very similar spec wise to the Evo 3D.  Also note the 3D features on the new Evo are NOT on everything, meaning 90% of your interaction with the device is done in 2D.  The ONLY things in 3D are when you want to view 3D content such as photos or videos, and the Evo3D will allow you to capture 3D content of your own, where the Motorola will not.  So while you don't need to use 3D if you don't want to, it is an extra feature that you can either choose to make use of or not.  So it isn't necessary to make a non-3D model since the entire UI of using the phone is done in 2D, and you can determine if you want to view 3D content or not.  At least you have the option to look at 3D stuff and take 3D photos if you want to.

Again, to each their own.  While I think the Photon may very well be a great device, it doesn't offer anything above and beyond what the Evo 3D does.  I personally won't refuse to get the Evo3D just because of a kickstand, which I never used anyway and can buy as an extra accessory if I truly wanted it.

For me, one of the main factors going into my purchase is software quality from the manufacturer (UI Overlay), as well as their track record for issuing fixes and OS updates timely.  HTC has a phenomenal track record in this regard, where Samsung for example is one of the worst.  That is why I have more confidence if there were in fact some minor issues with the phone on launch day, that Sprint and HTC would issue a fix for them in relatively short order.  In fact last year when they launched the Evo4G, they issued an OTA update to fix bugs on launch day itself.  How many other manufacturers turn around defects that quickly?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those are some excellent points to consider. I don't see myself using the 3d all that much. I would prefer an 8 mp 2d camera. I'm going to wait and see how all this shakes out before I make a decision.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got mine in the mail today and I don't have any issues with call quality. However, I have not been able to access any of the 3D content.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the EVO 3D since wed. the 22nd. The call quality is no different than the EVO 4G. I was concerned about that too but there's no problem.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat