cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to read up on any of the reviews of the 3D that hit this week? I'll include a link to another forum with links to the reviews and feedback. Note the main areas that the reviewers expressed concern were around:

• Battery Life (Not much of a concern really, reviewers had every radio on and were using everything at once)

• Poor Call Voice Quality - This was common across multiple reviews and is somewhat concerning

• Issues with Reception - This wasn't as common, but is somewhat concerning nevertheless

I'd be curious if Sprint / HTC are aware of these issues experienced by the reviewers of the 3D, and if they have any way to fix them (potentially via OTA)? While the call quality reports do have me somewhat concerned, I will still try the device for myself on launch day and see for myself whether these issues are critical for me or not. The reason for me posting this thread isn't to start a panic that the Evo3D is garbage, but more in an effort to increase Sprint/HTC's visibility into these pre-launch reviews, so they can hopefully research to see if there are in fact any bugs (such as with call quality or reception). If they identify bugs, perhaps they can be fixed via OTA update?

So while the review comments do have me concerned, at this point they will not deter me from getting the 3D. I'll try it out on launch day and see for myself if it is right for me or not. I'm #1 on the pre-order list and won't sacrifice that just because of some inconsistent reviews done on what may not even be the final software we'll see on launch day.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/354873-evo-3d-reviews.html

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Journeyman

So your argument is you should get the EVO 3D and you should get another phone because HTC should have offered a non 3D model? why would they make two versions when you can just turn off the 3D? 3D is just future proof, and the 3D isn't phone itself. You have the options of downloading 3D content or the option of shooting in 3D if you choose. Nothing on the phone is 3D. That's the problem with the reviewers of the phone. They focus on the 3D and just cut it up. It's a stupid choice that you don't have to use.it has just as much and more than all the other phones on the market and all the other phones coming out this year. So let's not get the EVO 3D because I don't want to have a choice. You should probably get an iphone. They'll take the choice away from you and you'll be happy, because the sheer thought of knowing you can download 3D content must be painful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

there are no call quality issues. It's just the reviewers. I've been using the phone for 2 days now. Sounds exactly the same as the EVO 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a study with my EVO 4G and EVO 3D yesterday.

Looks as if the EVO 3D is showing one bar less than the EVO 4G is most of the positions I tested.

This could be troublesome for people that live in low service areas now, with the 4G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One interesting thing to consider / analyze is whether the signal is actually weaker, or if it's just displaying less bars.  It could be a problem with either the actual reception, or the algorithm that is used to calculate how many bars to display.  If it's the latter, it can be resolved via an OTA update.

So I'd be curious to see whether people experience inability to place calls or connect to data services with the 3D from a spot that works with the 4G.  If that were the case, then it would lead me to believe it's a reception issue and not a software issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

My reception on calls is no different than was with my EVO 4G.  I made several calls with my 3D yesterday, each lasting for several minutes, one over 45 minutes.  The call quality was loud and clear.  The other person reported that they could hear me clearly.

As far as data reception for 3G, the number of bars seemed to be less, but when I used Speed Test, the d/l and u/l speeds were the same as tests done with my EVO 4G.

Lastly, when I tested my 4G connection, I was getting a "fair" signal (one bar) at home with my 3D.  The d/l speeds were averaging 5mbps and the u/l speeds were around 1.2mbps.  These were the same as I got with my EVO 4G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received the phone yesterday and was using it all Nite and I couldn't tell the difference on the call quality and reception on it!! I herd the other person loud and crystal clear. I did notice the signal bars a bit lower but I did talk on it and it was fine and no drop calls yet! I called from different places and call quality was as the same or better than the original EVO! I will keep testing it and find out more. Overall love this amazing phone and all the capabilities it has I will keep it  😄

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received my EVO 3D yesterday and I must admit the call quality is not good.  The person on the other end at times sounds like a robot or slightly garbled.  I have been calling other mobile devices, but I'll try calling a landline next to see if there is any difference.   I'm deeply saddened because everything else about this phone is GREAT(minus the 3d stock images)! Yes, today a cell phone is a total communication device, but you cannot neglect the fact that the original reason for a phone is to make a call.  I had the Nexus S for a about a week before exchanging it for my pre ordered EVO 3d.  The Nexus S on the other hand had the BEST call quality I ever experienced via cellur service.  Too bad the Nexus S' on screen keyboard crashes and never really gets more than one bar on 4G or 3G in the DC area.   Anyways, I want my EVO to work so bad so I might stick it out a little bit longer.  If nothing happens I guess Nexus S is getting repurchased because when all else failed I was still able to hear the person crisp and clearly on the other line.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the EVO 4G from the initial lauch.  Call quality & volume of the speaker is great.  I love the EVO 4G as I had suffered thru the previous Window based handsets previously[not WP7].

I just got my wife the EVO 3D.  Her voice sounds a bit muffled on it.  When she switches to speaker, her voice sounds better - clearer w/more high end frequencies.  However, the volume for her using it in speaker phone mode (w/vol max'd) is not that great - she'd say unusable.  We'll give it 2 weeks & if there is no change - it goes back & i'll prob get her the EVO 4G.

The 3D stuff is really of no interest to us - I was more interested in the faster cpu's & what I thought would be a brighter & sharper screen.  To me, the screen seems the same as the EVO 4G even though technically it has higher pixel density.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Def go with the evo 4g, the 3d has 1-2 bars less service than the 4g, it is very cheap feeling (thin plastic screen, camera button feels like its about to fall off, flimsy throughout) HTC and Sprint know its garbage but are relying on the draw of the dual processor (no real visible speed diff) and the 3d to sell it. Its garbage. Returning it ASAP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.  While there may be legitimate complaints about signal strength or call quality, to call the device outright flimsy and pure garbage is utter nonsense.  It is a solid built device and feels NO different to me then the Evo 4G in terms of build quality.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my phone on Friday and have played around with it for a few days.  Overall I really like the phone, it is a welcome upgrade over the Evo 4G.  The only area right now I'm not 100% satisfied is with call quality.  It isn't poor, but when the phone is ringing while you're waiting for the other party to pick up you can hear this ringing sounds a bit choppy and cuts in and out.  Not drastic, but kind of crackly.  Again when you're talking to people on the other end, they can sound choppy and garbled/muffled at times.  It isn't the duration of the entire call or anything, but it does come and go.

My calls were placed with me having full service (full bars for both 3G and 4G), so it isn't an issue with signal strength.  Just minor issues with quality of the call through the earpiece.  While this is disappointing, it isn't something I'll return the device over at this point.  Although I certainly do hope that HTC/Sprint are aware of this and are able to improve this via an OTA software fix/update of some sort.  HTC has been excellent to this point in terms of issuing software fixes (there've been several already) and this is a pattern of support I hope continues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I realize many people who purchased the 3D need to justify the money spent so they'll quickly disagree with any negative opinions said about this phone.  I didn't do any trade-ins so I am not stuck with this phone.  IMO, its horrible.  Call quality is the worst of any smartphone I've ever used.  EVERYONE I spoke with either couldnt understand me or they sounded as if they were under water.  Speakerphone was eqally bad.  I spent more time asking folks to repeat themselves than I did having any actually conversations.

EVERY picture I took ended up getting deleted.  ALL of them either had a bluish tint or greenish tint to them.  There was nothing remotely fascination about any of them I wanted to share!

Overall, the 3D phone feels incredibly cheap compared to holding the 4G.  Oh...and before I forget, when on speakerphone, it sounds like the speaker is rattling against the cameras on the rear.

Returning it didn't make me loose any sleep.  If anything, I actually gained some since I didn't have to keep trying to creatively make this phone work out the box as it should have!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat