cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to read up on any of the reviews of the 3D that hit this week? I'll include a link to another forum with links to the reviews and feedback. Note the main areas that the reviewers expressed concern were around:

• Battery Life (Not much of a concern really, reviewers had every radio on and were using everything at once)

• Poor Call Voice Quality - This was common across multiple reviews and is somewhat concerning

• Issues with Reception - This wasn't as common, but is somewhat concerning nevertheless

I'd be curious if Sprint / HTC are aware of these issues experienced by the reviewers of the 3D, and if they have any way to fix them (potentially via OTA)? While the call quality reports do have me somewhat concerned, I will still try the device for myself on launch day and see for myself whether these issues are critical for me or not. The reason for me posting this thread isn't to start a panic that the Evo3D is garbage, but more in an effort to increase Sprint/HTC's visibility into these pre-launch reviews, so they can hopefully research to see if there are in fact any bugs (such as with call quality or reception). If they identify bugs, perhaps they can be fixed via OTA update?

So while the review comments do have me concerned, at this point they will not deter me from getting the 3D. I'll try it out on launch day and see for myself if it is right for me or not. I'm #1 on the pre-order list and won't sacrifice that just because of some inconsistent reviews done on what may not even be the final software we'll see on launch day.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/354873-evo-3d-reviews.html

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Wizard

ScandaLeX wrote:

I realize many people who purchased the 3D need to justify the money spent so they'll quickly disagree with any negative opinions said about this phone.  I didn't do any trade-ins so I am not stuck with this phone.  IMO, its horrible.  Call quality is the worst of any smartphone I've ever used.  EVERYONE I spoke with either couldnt understand me or they sounded as if they were under water.  Speakerphone was eqally bad.  I spent more time asking folks to repeat themselves than I did having any actually conversations.

EVERY picture I took ended up getting deleted.  ALL of them either had a bluish tint or greenish tint to them.  There was nothing remotely fascination about any of them I wanted to share!

Overall, the 3D phone feels incredibly cheap compared to holding the 4G.  Oh...and before I forget, when on speakerphone, it sounds like the speaker is rattling against the cameras on the rear.

Returning it didn't make me loose any sleep.  If anything, I actually gained some since I didn't have to keep trying to creatively make this phone work out the box as it should have!

No justification here.  Even though I got the phone for practically free, I'm not stuck with it.  Like everyone who purchased this phone at launch, we still have a few weeks to play with it to decide if it's the right one.  For me, call quality continues to be good and is no different than my 4G.  No one has asked me to repeat myself nor have I had to ask others to repeat.  I'll agree that volume from the back speaker is much softer than my 4G, but I've been able to have conversations while driving in a car via the back speaker without difficulty.

My experience with the camera is just the opposite as you describe.  Photos taken with my 4G always had a bluish tinge and seemed slightly pixelated.  With my 3D, the colors are true and vibrant, and much much sharper, even with the lower mp rate.  Video with my 4G also had a bluish tinge, but the video was sharp.  The videos on my 3D are equally sharp but again, the colors look very natural.

I've gotten phones that weren't to my liking and I've gotten lemons.  I've returned them without regret.  With my 3D, it's worked flawlessly right out of the box.  Also, I sleep just fine at night.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Keep in mind that Sprint currently will give you 150 for your EVO4G on the spot so your EVO3D would only cost you about 63 dollars with tax out of your pocket. thats something to think about

Highlighted
Journeyman

I currently have five Evo 3D's and 15 Evo 4G's and i had to return a 3D because everyone complained about it being muffled. Once i exchanged the phone i have no problems and all of my other 3D Evo's work great. Maybe you got a bad apple and should exchange it and see if that works. I still think the EVO 4G is an amazing phone, its held its weight against the competition for a year that says alot in the cell phone industry

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is ok in theory. I tried to return mine with the same problem and they couldn't duplicate the sound problem that every person that I call is having sounding like I am under water or talking with my nose plugged. Customer care made a replacement ticket for me and sent me to the store that I purchased it from.They wanted to charge me $35 to replace it even thought it was only 2 weeks old. I am still having the problem and I have already tried the ##data## and enabled the EVRC-B and set it for home and roam only 2 people said it made a difference most said it sounded the same. Hopefully there will be a fix for this as I refuse to pay another $35 because they say it sounds fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got my 3D yesterday,  so far I love the phone features.  But I have to agree there is something off with the quailty of the reception and call quality.

I'm coming from a 5 year old Mogul,  and even though that phone kind of sucked out of the box,  the calls it made were for the most part clear and rarely any dropped calls.  

With the new Evo 3D I just got,  from my house I only get about 1 bar (mogul had full bars).   And I've had 2 dropped calls,  and the 3 other calls I've made the people on the other side said I sounded garbled and kept asking me to repeat myself.   I also notided on my end that their voice would cut in/out at times.

like I said,  I really like the phone but why is it that my 5 year old phone seems to have better quality voice calls?

I hope this is just a software fix, and an update will fix the issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK,  I've had the Evo 3d for about 4 days now.

Right now I have 0 bars at home (my Mogul always had full bars).   When people call,  if the phone even rings.  I can't understand what they are saying.  It's garbled and most of what they say is cut off.    I feel like I have a cell phone from 95 and I need to stand on the couch on one leg, to hopefully get a better signal.

Why do the 3D's have such horrible reception?  Is there anything that can be done to fix it?  I'm paying way more for per month for this 'premium' data plan but can't even use it.   And now I can't switch back to my old 'unlimited' plan, that was way cheaper.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally had customer care give me the $35 credit on my account so I wen tinto the store and replaced the phone paying the $35. The new phone has the same crappy call quality and everybody sayd I sound the same on it. now I hear when i am talking with people liek I barely have signal and the calls are all choppy, when I call people I only hear the ringer in garbled bits and the volume changes up and down. This phone is great if you don't make calls on it. What a joke..........

Highlighted
Journeyman

When are we getting a OTA. I can't stand this phone for making calls anymore, so sick of repeating myself to everyone. Sick of garbled sounding voices. My HTC hero was miles ahead of this in call quality, call reception, and speaker phone. The hero actually had some bass in the earpiece unlike the 3D's tinny crackly sound. The 3D is by far better on everything else but the most important part of a cell phone, making calls. Hope these problems can be addressed..........otherwise a big waste of $200.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For everyone who hates the call quality there is a way to slightly fix it. Visit this website and follow each step. http://www.momobiles.com/guide-to-fix-voice-call-quality-on-htc-evo-3d/    .....I have tried this and it improved the call quality, but can still heard some static, atleast on my phone. This made a difference and would recommend this method until an OTA update is available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You described my situation to a "T". 1 week ago I switched from an Evo 4G that I have used since september of last year to the Evo 3D.  I live in what Sprint calls a "fair coverage area" meaning I have next to no service where I live both for voice calls and 3G data. The Airave they sent me a month and a half ago is next to useless most of the time and this is after spending several hours on the phone with tier 2 tech support....up to 5000 sq. foot coverage they claim but "up to" is the key words in that statement because you can really only walk up to roughly 30 feet away before you are bouncing between 1 and 3 bars of service. Ever since activating the 3D I have noticed exactly what you are describing in that the 3D is always sitting about 1 bar below what my 4G was giving me. The room I am in in my house the most I can now no longer hold a clear conversation until I walk out of the door and closer to that stupid Airave where as the Evo could hold the call most of the time in the same room. It is a minimal difference but it is enough to make it really frustrating when it makes or breaks being able to have a conversation or browse the web as you could before and of course if you call Sprint about the device they will probably run you through the troubleshooting drills, have you master reset the device and then finally have you take it in for service which in this case will get you no where because it's just how some devices are and I feel this happens to be the case with the 3D. Not to mention the rep on the phone you talk to probably does not want to believe you and feels that it is all in your head when you call in with these minimal difference complaints. Oh what a vicious circle, maybe I will give it a few more days to see if I am going to keep this device or not but I have a feeling that they may get this back. If returned I need to figure out what to do with the new seidio extended battery I ordered off of ebay that I cannot return, fun stuff lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been using the phone for 2 days. Before about 10 minutes ago the call quality was AWFUL. Tinny, crackling, just as others described, so bad I was considering either exchanging the phone or switching services. I chatted online with customer support and "Norm" had me power down and take out the battery, and he reset the service on the phone. The couple of calls I've made since have been very clear. Before you go rooting your phone or other drastic measures to solve this issue, contact customer support and maybe they can help you.

(futher information: I'm in a major city with widespread 4g reception)

Highlighted
Wizard

I have had the same reception with the 3D that I've always had with my original EVO 4G. Also, we have a Photon, and the 3D gets the same as it and an LG Optimus that we have as well. I'm not sure why certain people are having this issue. I think it must have to do with Sprint's service where you are, because I've had no problems at all. I can hold these three phones side by side to compare.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat