cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo 3D Reviews: Concerns with Call Quality / Reception

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to read up on any of the reviews of the 3D that hit this week? I'll include a link to another forum with links to the reviews and feedback. Note the main areas that the reviewers expressed concern were around:

• Battery Life (Not much of a concern really, reviewers had every radio on and were using everything at once)

• Poor Call Voice Quality - This was common across multiple reviews and is somewhat concerning

• Issues with Reception - This wasn't as common, but is somewhat concerning nevertheless

I'd be curious if Sprint / HTC are aware of these issues experienced by the reviewers of the 3D, and if they have any way to fix them (potentially via OTA)? While the call quality reports do have me somewhat concerned, I will still try the device for myself on launch day and see for myself whether these issues are critical for me or not. The reason for me posting this thread isn't to start a panic that the Evo3D is garbage, but more in an effort to increase Sprint/HTC's visibility into these pre-launch reviews, so they can hopefully research to see if there are in fact any bugs (such as with call quality or reception). If they identify bugs, perhaps they can be fixed via OTA update?

So while the review comments do have me concerned, at this point they will not deter me from getting the 3D. I'll try it out on launch day and see for myself if it is right for me or not. I'm #1 on the pre-order list and won't sacrifice that just because of some inconsistent reviews done on what may not even be the final software we'll see on launch day.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/354873-evo-3d-reviews.html

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Wizard

Also, the call quality is great.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know if there will be a fix for the 3D's that do have call quality issues? I am on my second one and even after reprovisioning at the Sprint store its awful. It fustrating the amount of time I have spent online with customer service and at the store and still can have a converstaion on the phone that doesnt suck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

At the end of July, I bought 2 Evo 4Gs and 1 Evo 3D from Sprint.  The 3D consistantly has horrible reception and I live less than 1/2 mile from a Sprint cell tower.  If I place a 4G and the 3D next to each other, the 4G will always have 5 bars signal strength and the 3D fluctuates from 2 bars to 0 bars.  I complained about this from the first day.  At the end of August I brought the phone in for testing and techs at the Sprint store said it was perfect.  As soon as I was about 1 mile from the store, my phone shows an X next to the bars, then a triangle meaining I'm roaming. I'm in the Tampa Bay area and according to Sprint's coverage map, I should be in 4G areas if not at least really strong 3G areas.  This has gone on for months and I'm told all kinds of stories from various people at Sprint.  This phone has horrible reception!  One more issue that I noticed and haven't read about is that when people call me, they say my phone rings about 8 times before I answer.  I always answer on the first ring!!!  Several people have told me that when they call me , my phone rings for over a minute, I never answer and it never goes to voice mail.  My wife told me about this issue and according to call logs, she did call me yet my phone shows no missed calls from her at that time.  The phone was getting worse and worse...lots of missed / dropped calls, no service available, etc.  I brought it in for testing a week ago and once again they said it tested perfectly.  Sprint finally replaced my 3D 4 days ago with a new one.  IT HAS THE IDENTICAL PROBLEMS!  Even after they sent me an AiRave for my house, my phone has zero bars in the back yard or even in my garage.  This is a piece of crap and anyone considering buying one should take the comments in this forum in to serious consideration.  The phone works great provided you're standing under a cell tower, otherwise it's junk!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the missed calls that dont even show isnt just with this phone. i have the issue with my 4G as well. its a network issue. its usually only when youre in a area that has really low reception.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

fireguy,

The poor reception and missed calls happen with my 3D even when I'm 10 - 15 miles north or south of my home.  If what you say is valid then the entire Sprint network in my county sucks?  AND...if that is what the problem is, then why do the other 4Gs work fine?  Even using the AiRave in my home, I still have missed calls.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

wild guess...youre in a rural area? then yes..im in a strong 3G area yet i can go through the day and my reception and data will jump like its in a marathon. i get quite a few missed calls that never show yet i can get their voice mail. seeing as how it happens to myself with the 4G. you with the  3D. my brother is running some kind of samsung. my mother is running a LG. all the same issues here and there but not all the time. and were all in a rural area. im currently sitting 38 miles from my home in the "strong 3G" area. and i still will get them here. again rural area. much larger...but still considered rural which also means not so many towers for here. add onto it that this is a university town. gee..wonder how our towers are holding up with such a load on them lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

fireguy,

Rural area...ha ha.  I'm in Pinellas County, FL...part of the Tampa Bay area.  This is the smallest yet most densely populated county in FL.  There is a major north / south corridor US Hwy 19 and when I travel on it from Tarpon Springs to Clearwater to St, Petersburg, I'll constantly be roaming or have little or no signal. My wife's Evo 4G can be next to me and simultainiously show 5 bars signal strength and NEVER go in to roaming.  Like I said previously, a Sprint tower is less than 1/2 mile from my house with nothing but single story homes between me and the tower.  Standing under the tower I can get 4G reception, standing outside my house I get zero reception!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im also in the rural bermuda triangle areas. i can actually see one of the towers in from my work and from my home. yet i still get the issue. one thing i have heard is the 3D actually shows less bars than the 4G yet gets the same reception. not sure if that means its showing the true actual reception or if it just shows less. one thing you might have sprint try is having them reset your reception. i have had my phone latch on to a certain tower and not let go like its supposed to. but i have never heard of a phone constantly doing it which kind of sounds like your problem. but again this is just a guess.

and being in a rural area you can consider yourself lucky to even have a glimpse of 4G. i have to drive over a hour to get 4G. lucky for me though its in a area i have to have meetings for work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had it with my 3D.  This morning I went outside with my wife's Evo 4G in one hand and my Evo 3D in the other.  I dialed my number from her phone and listened while it rang 5 times. The call went through the AiRave they sent me...you can hear 3 beeps before it dials.  On the 6th ring, my voice mail answered.  My 3D didn't ring once!!!  Not only that, it didn't even indicate that I missed a call.  That...is TOTALLY unacceptable!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

im also in the rural bermuda triangle areas. i can actually see one of the towers in from my work and from my home. yet i still get the issue. one thing i have heard is the 3D actually shows less bars than the 4G yet gets the same reception. not sure if that means its showing the true actual reception or if it just shows less. one thing you might have sprint try is having them reset your reception. i have had my phone latch on to a certain tower and not let go like its supposed to. but i have never heard of a phone constantly doing it which kind of sounds like your problem. but again this is just a guess.

and being in a rural area you can consider yourself lucky to even have a glimpse of 4G. i have to drive over a hour to get 4G. lucky for me though its in a area i have to have meetings for work.

Bars are completely worthless as a measure of reception. Dig around in the phone's settings to find the actual signal strength. Compare the actual numbers. If you can't find the info in settings, look for an app from the Market to give you that info.

Highlighted
Journeyman

underseer,

Actually the bars are an indication of available signal  strength.  However, even 1 bar will still allow conversations to take  place.  I have downloaded an app called opensignal and even when I'm  sitting 50 yards from Sprint's cell tower, my 3D signal strength  constantly fluctuates.  It has NEVER gone over 84% even when it  is within 12 inches of my AiRave or right under the cell tower.  Even  when the 3D is lying perfectly still, the reception fluctuates dramatically.  That doesn't happen on any other phone.

I'm sure that this reception (internal antenna) issue is what  causes the phone not to receive calls.  Two nights ago, I drove about 10  - 15 miles north and south of my home, pulled over at random spots and  trying calling my Evo 3D from another Evo 4G.  After dialing my number, I  could hear my line ringing and in most of the attempts, the line rings  about 8 times before my 3D actually rings the first time, or it  automatically goes to voice mail.  When that happens, there is no record  or indication that my phone rang or that I missed a call.  Most of my  contacts have told me that after my phone (or any phone) rings that  much, they just hang up.  One person told me that their phone has a call  timer on the screen and after dialing my number, it rang for 48  seconds!  It never went to voice mail and I never answered.  My phone  never showed that he called and I missed the call.

Since other Evo 4Gs  I've tried don't have this problem and two Evo 3Ds I've had exhibit the  same issues, I'm confident in concluding it's not the Sprint network,  but rather an Evo 3D problem.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

actually im still running the EVO 4G and my reception fluctuates off and on as well. while sitting in one area.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat