cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handcent messaging app draining 3D battery?

Journeyman

I recently did the battery calibration suggested on this forum and installed Juice Defender.  For a few days, I was getting 24-30 hours on one charge.  All of the sudden, in just the past couple of days, it has dropped to 10-12 hours per charge.  I looked at the battery usage stats on the the phone and it shows that Handcent is using like 54% of my battery, with display at like 17-20%.  I had Handcent installed before I did the battery calibration Oand was getting the awesome 24 hrs+ on the charge, so not sure what has changed.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Or maybe a different messaging app that they like? I like that with Handcent you have some different options from just the standard messaging app that comes on the phone, but not at the expense of my battery life.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Just about any app you install (of course) is going to use more battery life than the phone was designed for. No amount of "band testing" can determine just how much affect an app going to have over the life a battery. Considering that when HTC / Google designed the messaging app, they did so with the battery in mind. They have to minimize the affect it has on the battery so that the phone can / will do all the other things it's designed to do.

3rd party messaging apps don't have to adhere to any set rules, they're not HTC / Google.

Short answer is, it's probably not optimized for Gingerbread. Hardly anything is. It's going to take awhile. I personally, LOVE the new messaging app. They finally got it right, I don't have to waste precious resources to cover up a feature anymore.

Wizard

SODAGIRL99,

In addition to what Evo3D stated regarding most applications not being fully developed for use with the Gingerbread update, I'm curious; have you tried clearing the cache or data for Handcent application and then retesting battery usage? If not I would suggest trying that because it's not normal that Handcent is listed as using 54% of your battery.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I'm going to ask the dumb question of where are all of you going to see what is consuming your battery juice?  I've hunted all around the settings options and didn't run across the view.

Highlighted
Wizard

Menu>settings>about phone>battery>battery use

Sprint Product Ambassador

Many thanks, that was going to drive me crazy.  Tucked away in a spot I wouldn't have guessed. 

GrandMaster

if handcent was the issue then it would be having the same affect on the regular EVO since both are running gingerbread.

actually i think its weird since one of the things that was changed up and brought in with gingerbread was a more accurate (so i have read) way to read the battery usage. only problem with that is the display should be at the top of the list since you use the display for everything on the phone.

might also double check and see if you have the latest update for handcent. they did one about a month ago for fixes with gingerbread issues.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat