cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy to See Evo 3D on HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich List

Journeyman

Re: Happy to See Evo 3D on HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich List

armyeodsgt wrote:

For those of you that don't know, HTC officially released a list of phones that will be upgraded to the new Android OS in the beginning of 2012.  There is the whole list on androidcentral.com, but the one's from Sprint getting the update is the 3D and Evo Design.  Keep in mind, this is a release from HTC, so if your phone isn't on here, don't freak out just yet.  I'm sure the other phones such as the Galaxy S2 and Photon will get the upgrade as well (one would think).  This is one of the reasons I like to stay with HTC, because they do upgrade their phones.  No word on getting a newer version of Sense.  Has anyone else heard any about that?

With network performance, you're talking about latency (i.e. ping times: the time it takes for the signal to move back and forth between two connected devices, say, your smartphone and a web server) and throughput (the rate at which data is transferred once it starts going).

Cell phone networks tend to have high latency, it's just the nature of the technology. This is bad if you are doing something that involves transferring a large number of small bits of data in a time-sensitive manner (i.e. gaming). Transferring a large number of small files can also be annoying (such as loading a web page cluttered with a large number of small images). Latency is measured in units of time (the time it takes for a packet to travel there and back).

Throughput is measured in units of data divided by units of time (e.g. bits per second). High throughput is great when you're transferring a small number of large files. This would be a noticeable improvement when streaming videos or music (less time to wait during buffering), or when updating large apps through the Market (less time to download), or downloading a largish attached file from an email message.

Most of the things we do on smartphones involves the transfer of relatively small chunks of data, so improvements in latency would help more, but I don't expect latency will improve much on cell networks. This is why I generally find myself leaving 4G turned off most of the time unless I happen to be downloading apps or streaming videos. If I'm surfing the web, I'm mostly at message boards where the amount of data is relatively small and not cluttered up with tons of useless flash content, or using Facebook, email, or other things that mostly involve relatively small chunks of text. 4G just burns extra battery juice and it's not a noticeable improvement for most of the things I do.

If I rarely notice the difference between 3G and 4G (except when doing certain specific things), I doubt I'd notice the difference between WiMax and LTE.

Of course, depending on what you do with your phone, a bump in throughput might be a big deal for you.

Journeyman

I use "Go Launcher EX"...home screen goes automatically to landscape when turned on it's side.  Also went into settings and now have 5 by 5 icons instead of stock 4 by 4.  Many more options too.  Running ics look-alike theme.  No bugs.

GrandMaster

i tried go launcher in the past. unfortunatly im so used to the current set up that the new one just annoyed me and i switched back lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Where is my ice cream samich? LOL

No rumors on what "the beginning of 2012" means yet?

Journeyman

ItsMeee wrote:

Where is my ice cream samich? LOL

No rumors on what "the beginning of 2012" means yet?

Any rumors we get will likely be worthless.

Developers keep mum about this sort of thing for a good reason. If they announce a date ahead of time, there is a very good chance they will miss the date, at which point everyone will start screaming about the fact that it's late. If they don't announce their schedule, then no one outside the organization knows when they've missed the date because no one knows the date. If we're really unlucky, they'll push it out the door with glaring bugs still in it just to get it out on time.

It's counterintuitive, but they actually get subjected to fewer complaints by not telling anyone when it will be out.

Journeyman

i need my msl # . Are there any sprint reps that can get this for me?

Wizard

MARTYBALDWIN22 wrote:

i need my msl # . Are there any sprint reps that can get this for me?

As in unlock your phone? If you have fulfilled your contract (eligible for an upgrade), maybe......................

Wizard

Just call CS and ask for it.  That's what I did.  I thought I was going to have to give some excuse like I needed to activate the phone, but he just gave it to me.

Journeyman

According To HTC They have Given the Android 4.0.4 Update to Sprint in early March, at the moment the update is in the hands of the Sprint Engineers. and we all know that sprint is slow about these things, so if ya want the updaye call CS and make them aware, atleast make them work for the Administrative Fee change a couple months back. . .

Journeyman

Funny to see this... The post was made in Nov 7th of 2011. It's now July 19th 2012, and still no confirmed date for Ice Cream Sandwich on EVO 3D. Nice.

Journeyman

It most likley will be January 2013 and they will still be saying "it's coming "

Highlighted
Wizard

Yeah, SuperFly, I almost feel kind of dumb for posting it now. When I posted it though, it was from a press release from Sprint. I gave up on the idea.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat