cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love Sprint as a carrier, but first the Echo and now the Evo 3D problems? Is it just me?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I love Sprint as a carrier, but first the Echo and now the Evo 3D problems? Is it just me?

I was very excited to get this phone to replace my first mistake, the Echo. I swore never to get another brand new phone until the kinks were worked out. Unfortunately, I did not pick out this phone. It was picked out for me by a Sprint store manager. I do appreciate him going much further than Sprint "Customer Service" ever did. Anyway...that's for another forum.

When I was told my phone was in, I quickly went to the store to pick it up. I had been looking at phones and wanted a Photon, but was very appreciative for any replacement phone. Once again it is just past the 30 day return period so returning it is no longer an option...again. I've learned Sprint will never budge, under any circumstances, in regards to that limit. I was 4 days over with my Echo due to a death in the family after a 3 week hospital bedside stay.

I will have to figure this out on my own...and with your help, hopefully. It would be appreciated.

Since day 1 my phone locks up. Not on occassion, but constantly. During conversations, while attempting to dial, attempting to text, take a picture, look at a picture, anything...it locks up. I am able to flip the ring up and maybe one out of ten times it will then allow me to type another letter or two before it locks up again, but that is very rare. It does not allow me to hang up a call after flipping the ring though. That is only accomplished by removing the battery. That happens on every phone call. Before I installed any programs...it locked up. I called and was told I had too many programs installed. They didn't even ask if I had downloaded any. I said I agreed and asked how to get them off of there. I do not want or use most of them. Once I told them it was their programs I wanted off, they said it cannot be done. They were talking about the programs I had downloaded myself, not the ones forced on everyone. Of course it wasn't the phone, according to Sprint. It must be my settings and something I did. That was a direct quote. I didn't argue with them as it may very well have been me.

I didn't argue. I admit to not being the sharpest knife in the kitchen when it comes to phones, computers, etc. Nothing that was done has been helpful. I've tried for several weeks and it continues now as it did the first day.

• It calls people on it's own. No, I do not bump the phone. Today it was on the holder on my dash. I heart a voice and realized it was my daughter on the phone. I had not used the phone for 20 minutes. It should have been locked, but it called her at work...her work number which I have never called. I always call her cell. Her work number is in my contact list for emergencies though.
  • It will not allow me to disconnect from a call. I must remove the battery, reinstall it and turn it back on.
  • It freezes up when I am on a call. No chance of pushing 1 for English or anything else. Again, the battery must come out.
  • Playing a game, any game is impossible. It locks up and the only way to get out is to...you got it! Remove the battery,
  • The keyboard would not work. I've downloaded the Smart Keyboard and it works great...until it locks up.
  • There is no chance of finishing a text message. Partials are all I can send providing I get them out before it locks up.
  • Keystrokes are added when attempting to type something out. Most common is the letter q for some unknown reason. People are entertained when I text them. They have no idea what I am trying to say when most of what they read contains the letter q (and a few other random letters...all lower case)
  • Store staff has gone through all of my settings to see if something could be causing this. They could find nothing wrong with the settings.

I've installed several more programs and problem continues to exist. I've uninstalled the same programs and no change.

I've taken it to two different Sprint stores. They've looked at it and agree there is something really wrong with this phone. This poor guy dealt with me during my "Echo" issues too. I cannot believe he has not resigned yet. Bless his heart. I do think I saw him running out the back door last time I walked in though (just kidding) . One employee assured me this is normal with this phone. To have to reset it several times a day is annoying, she said, but necessary. Why is it necessary?

One employee said I should be getting better customer service from Sprint being my family has 6 lines with them on this account. He also stated being I pay over $340.00 per month, Sprint should by giving me whatever I need.

Again, why? I asked what difference that makes? If I have one phone or twenty...why should one person get better customer service than another just because they have additional lines? It shouldn't and he knew I was offended at that comment.

The following is a list of steps I have completed several times in an attempt to rectify this situation:

1. Updated the device data profile
  2. Updated the device software
  3. Updated PRL
  4. Updated firmware
  5. Adjusted power settings per store support
  6. All programs installed are from Market only
  7. As many programs as possible loaded onto the SD card. Still more than sufficient memory on both phone and card so that is not the issue.
  8. I'm sure there are more things I've done, but cannot recall all of them now. I realize this is long and I do apologize for that.
  9. I've "power cycled" too many times to count...even in one day, let alone the time I've had it.
  10. Uninstalled all programs (of which I'm allowed to uninstall), no change so reinstalled some I use often. No changes
  11. Cleared cache

Really do not want to do a factory reset. I'm sure there are many more things I've done, but cannot recall them right now. I apologize for the length of this post and appreciate your taking the time to read it...if you made it this far.

I've stopped using a case with the phone because I spend more time removing the battery then actually using my phone. Two of our other lines are Evo 4G. They have no problems with those at all.

Maybe it is me? Major issues with the Echo and now this issues? I've been told the Echo is considered a huge mistake by Sprint and that is why they no longer sell it at the stores. Not sure about online.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19
Master

First I apologize for the issues you are experiencing and secondly I really appreciate the details you have included in your post. The issues you are having are related to either a shortage of memory and/or a file error within the operating system.

A hard reset will revert the phone back to the stored ROM on the device. If you do that and get an error that means there is an error in the stored ROM and there are two options. A Sprint repair center can reflash the device and install the operating system over the wire and by replacing the operating system you should no longer have the issue. You can also have the device replaced and if you have TEP there is no charge to do that.

The difference between a reflash of the operating system and a hard reset are very different. In laymens terms a reflash is building a new house and a hard reset is just a remodel. In either case I would only  install one program each day and monitor the device over 24 hours to monitor the effects. I love Android but there are programs available that can cause issues.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Its not you alone.  For the past few months I have been having problems with my phone. From dropping calls, freezing up, contact numbers jumbling up, not holding charge, cant receive incoming calls,  screen goes blank for a period of time and the only way to get the phone to work is to take the battery out (at least 5-6 times aday).  It is very frustrating.  I have been to their Sprint location for them to hard set and analyze or diagnose the problem.  It still acts up because it it giving error messages. I would like a different phone having it does not have the same problem

Journeyman

My phone is doing the exact same thing. I basically hate it now and want an iphone

Journeyman

Is the replacement phone refurbished?

GrandMaster

also avoid any and all task killers. they are actually worse on your system than not running them. any android system running 2.1 and above (the 3D is running 2.3) has a internal task killer. they end up battling each other and over working your phone.battery saving apps and the like are basically doing the same thing. really read what all it does and for sure the comments of any app youre thinking about downloading. odds are you'll see someone post about the same phone you have and what their experience was.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses. I am so sorry you are going through the same thing.

mwfras1266 and jbabygirl22:  You do understand...unfortunetly. My daughters have two different sprint phones and are now having the exact problem. This is new for both of them as it was not happening before.

One daughter has the Epic 4G and the other has the Evo 4G. My son in law has the iphone and has no problems at all. Our other lines are for the basic flip phone (my husband) and another Evo 4G. I've not talked with Cory about his Evo to see if it is acting up, but I will.  I don't know if this one was refurbished or not? It was a new phone when they replaced my Echo with it...the Sprint store just handed me the phone. No box, instruction book, charger or anything. They wanted me to buy the accessories at the time, but I was in a hurry. I did stop back at the store and picked up a charger for my car.

Fireguy: I never knew that! Being Android has it internally, will that alone cause these problems? I have not installed any (that I know of). Once the hard reset was done...yes, I gave in...I have not added any additional apps. It is worse than ever now. My husband and I watched it as it was sitting on the table yesterday. It called my daughter 8 times.. As soon as I would remove the battery and start it up again, it would dial her number. Again, it did this a total of 8 times. Her number was not the last number I dialed. I made about 3-4 other calls to different numbers prior to the phone calling her. It did this to my sister two days ago while I was in the office. My phone was sitting on the kitchen table and dialed her. She hung up and it disconnected the call on my phone. I had no idea that was an option other than removing the battery. It would call her again after she disconnected the call. She called me on my landline so it was something I was watching as it happened.

Larry: Thank you. I did call Sprint again today and was finally allowed to speak with a tech. She got on the phone with me while I explained everything that was going on. She was going to walk me through the steps to do a hard reset. I told her it was done twice...yesterday. She said, "Oh" and then there was a long pause. Finally I broke the silence with your post. I did not use your name, but read it to her. She said that is exactly what it is, mentioned an "outage", and was going to put her supervisor on the phone for some reason. She said the reflash would take care of it...she thought. I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally the supervisor got on the phone. I could barely hear her (I was on my landline). Somehow we were disconnected! I am beyond angry at this point. Not at you, of course. Why is it like pulling teeth to finally speak with a tech, only to be forwarded to their supervisor and then be disconnected? I waited for a return call. Nothing. It's been about an hour and a half now and not one call on my cell or landline,

What is an outage? Does that sound accurate?  I cannot get to a Sprint repair store due to health issues and an inability to drive at this time and am not sure when I will be able to drive again. Nothing was said about replacing the phone.

All I do now is make outgoing calls...when it lets me. The screen flashes and jumps so much until I remove the battery and restart the phone. It will then work for maybe a call or two.

Any ideas?

Thank you all...again

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses. I am so sorry you are going through the same thing.

mwfras1266 and jbabygirl22:  You do understand...unfortunetly. My daughters have two different sprint phones and are now having the exact problem. This is new for both of them as it was not happening before.

One daughter has the Epic 4G and the other has the Evo 4G. My son in law has the iphone and has no problems at all. Our other lines are for the basic flip phone (my husband) and another Evo 4G. I've not talked with Cory about his Evo to see if it is acting up, but I will.  I don't know if this one was refurbished or not? It was a new phone when they replaced my Echo with it...the Sprint store just handed me the phone. No box, instruction book, charger or anything. They wanted me to buy the accessories at the time, but I was in a hurry. I did stop back at the store and picked up a charger for my car.

Fireguy: I never knew that! Being Android has it internally, will that alone cause these problems? I have not installed any (that I know of). Once the hard reset was done...yes, I gave in...I have not added any additional apps. It is worse than ever now. My husband and I watched it as it was sitting on the table yesterday. It called my daughter 8 times.. As soon as I would remove the battery and start it up again, it would dial her number. Again, it did this a total of 8 times. Her number was not the last number I dialed. I made about 3-4 other calls to different numbers prior to the phone calling her. It did this to my sister two days ago while I was in the office. My phone was sitting on the kitchen table and dialed her. She hung up and it disconnected the call on my phone. I had no idea that was an option other than removing the battery. It would call her again after she disconnected the call. She called me on my landline so it was something I was watching as it happened.

Larry: Thank you. I did call Sprint again today and was finally allowed to speak with a tech. She got on the phone with me while I explained everything that was going on. She was going to walk me through the steps to do a hard reset. I told her it was done twice...yesterday. She said, "Oh" and then there was a long pause. Finally I broke the silence with your post. I did not use your name, but read it to her. She said that is exactly what it is, mentioned an "outage", and was going to put her supervisor on the phone for some reason. She said the reflash would take care of it...she thought. I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally the supervisor got on the phone. I could barely hear her (I was on my landline). Somehow we were disconnected! I am beyond angry at this point. Not at you, of course. Why is it like pulling teeth to finally speak with a tech, only to be forwarded to their supervisor and then be disconnected? I waited for a return call. Nothing. It's been about an hour and a half now and not one call on my cell or landline,

What is an outage? Does that sound accurate?  I cannot get to a Sprint repair store due to health issues and an inability to drive at this time and am not sure when I will be able to drive again. Nothing was said about replacing the phone.  All I do now is make outgoing calls...when it lets me. The screen flashes and jumps so much until I remove the battery and restart the phone. It will then work for maybe a call or two.

Any ideas?  Thank you all...again

Journeyman

No offense, but it honestly sounds like there's a hardware issue with your phone. I have the same phone and LOVE it. I have NONE of these issues, but do know A LOT about these phones and can say, it's more than likely a hardware issue. I would go in and demand a new replacement. Once you get the replacement, I bet your issues with be solved (unless you get a poop refurb that isn't truely refurbed -- which does happen, but shouldn't). Let us know once you get your replacement. I hope it fixes your issues. I garauntee it's hardware related, especially since you've reset the device. Good luck to you. I hope you can get your buddy (the one that "ran out the back door" the last time you came into the Sprint store) to get you a replacement phone. Let us know how it goes!

-Androidious

Journeyman

Androidious:  Thank you and certainly no offense taken. I am so hoping it is a hardware issue. I am very reassured after hearing yours is issue free. I was joking about the guy running out the back. He is such a nice guy...I wouldn't blame him if he did run though.

My son in law told me today (he has the other Evo 4G in the family) that he can no longer call any numbers other than specific ones within our area code.

My husband keeps laughing at all of us with our phone issues. He has a very basic, bare bones flip phone from Sprint and has never had a problem. He charges it many three times a week if he uses it a lot. Yesterday I accidently dropped it in a sink of hot, soapy dish water.It was in there for about a minute or so before I noticed it. I took it out and ran hot water over it to rinse it off...knowing it was toast.  I was wrong. It works beautifully! I did not use the rice or anything other than a dis towl to dry the surface. The battery is even charged still.

My daughters are bringing me to a Print store tomorrow to have them look at all of our phones, as well as my son in laws phone.

I do love this phone and I love Sprint. I just want one that works. Again, thank you for your encouraging post!

Journeyman

Let us know what you find because my evo 3d has the EXACT same problem you described above. I wish there was something I could do to revert the problem. I've uninstall all recent apps and no progress yet. I doubt it's a hardware problem because it would be weird for that to happen to multiple people all at once.

Journeyman

Okay...I am really not a "poor me" type of person. I abhor self-pity and believe the direct approach is generally the best. I would like to be referred to as "Pooh" from now on. Complete with the "Little Black Rain Cloud."

My daughters and I went to Sprint yesterday to have all three of our phones checked out. They are the Evo 4G, Epic and my Evo 3D. All three phones had hardware problems. At first they said mine was all software and that I probably had too many programs on it. I told her if there are too many programs on the phone, be assured it is not my fault. Sprint is the one shoving these apps down our throats and taking space on our phones that could (and should) be used for what WE want, not for what they have contracted. She said more than likely, all I probably needed to do was remove the battery and put it back in. It should work just fine after doing that. I asked how often I should have to do that. She said probably once or twice a week? I shared with her the fact I kept count the previous day. I removed the battery 27 times. Finally I gave up and turned it off.

Probably NOT the best way to set a postive tone when starting this meeting.

I did not add any programs after the last hard reset. It was getting exhausting trying to constantly reinstall them.

Anyway, after requesting she place a call or two, try to text, respond to a text, answer a call, try to access the contacts list (screen just flutters)...I had more things, but you get my point. She started with placing a call to my phone. Couldn't answer it. Needless to say each and every thing she tried prove futile. She conceded to replacing the phone. It was to be in on Weds. It didn't come. I'm sure with the holidays...things are slow. It did arrive today (Thursday).

We were greeted by a very nice man who seemed genuinely surprised there were problems with the Evo 3D. He said that phone does not cause problems for people and this must be a fluke. I was polite, but direct when I asked him if he ever looks on these forums. The gentleman assisting us asked us to log into our gmail accounts. It wouldn't let me. The screen was typing on it's own. I tried to push the button on top to lock it, but the button was broken.  I handed it to the gentleman and asked, "Really?"

Clearly he felt terrible. They did not have anything in stock (Yeah, somehow I didn't think they would. I asked if he means they do not even have a new phone in stock and was told no. What can I say...maybe they really didn't, but I am becoming too skeptical with Sprint,

I almost felt bad for him. He immediately said they would order in a new phone for me. I asked if it would be new or refurbished. He said it would be refurbished. I asked why, if a person purchases a brand new phone and it stops working a couple of months later...why they do not get a new replacement? It sounds like they are being cheated.You are getting someone else's problem that may or may not have been fixed. Clearly, this one today was the latter of the two. My 3D was a replacement for the Echo, but my daughters paid for their phones.

After reading my history with the Echo(s) and now the replacement Evo 3D not working...he said they would switch it out for a Photon, which is a better phone according to him.

That was very nice of him. I don't want to seem ungrateful, and please tell me if I am, but being I've spent over $200.00 on accessories this past month for the Evo 3D...am I coming out ahead? Yes, I purchased the accessories on my own. But, in all fairness, they were purchased to use with a new phone that really should have worked. The replacement should have worked.

There will be no accessories for the Photon. I cannot afford it.

Take care all and good luck with your phones. Nothing personal, but I really hope I am not on the Photon boards next...

Pooh

PS: Is anyone interested in a charger for your Evo 3D? It charges the phone itself as well as a spare battery. The phone rests on it's side in the charger and the spare battery sits behind it.

Journeyman

Fireguy,   I am not sure? It may have with the first phone, but the replacement was defective as soon as the tech started it up and I tried to log in. May I ask what you are thinking? I certainly hope it is something easily correctable for future phones.

Although I seem to struggle with my past three phones (two Evo3D's and the Echo), only two of the three made it out of the store prior to acting up. If others didn't have problems too I would tend to lean to a downloaded software problem or my use. Being others have had the same or similar issues I am thinking it may be the hardware or preinstalled software/apps.

Does this make any sense?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat