cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connectivity issues! Sprint, now's your chance to keep a new customer

Go to solution
Journeyman

Okay, just to get to the point. I live in NYC, work in LIC, and switched from T-Mobile to Sprint for the EVO 3D on release date. A couple of days have passed, and here are the differences:

With T-Mobile:

HSPA+ at home in the upper east side district and work in LIC, consistent performance. Worst days usually hit with no less than 1 megabit per second. Dependable, reliable, no cut outs.

With Sprint:

3G is awful, terribly awful! I don't live in the boonies or the suburbs, but advanced civilization in NYC, so you have no excuse for this! 3G at best hits 500 megabits, but most of the time hitting much less than that.

Why is this happening? Please explain.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if the 4G was rock solid. But, of course, to my dismay, it's not. 4G cuts out intermittently, barely performs indoors at work, and cut out while walking OUTSIDE in my neighborhood. Repeat, I am an urban user, the ideal candidate for Sprint service. So why is this happening?

Conclusion/Dealbreaker:

Okay Sprint, prove to me you care about me enough to earn my $1,900 over the next 2 years. You have been non-responsive on the Twitter sprintcare page with me using the same handle. Why should I keep you as a carrier when your 3G is terrible and your 4G completely unreliable? I thought I was supposed to have improved performance with you, but T-Mobile at least gave me stable, solid HSPA+ for a year, anywhere I go in NYC.

And to make things even worse for you guys, I still have the 30 days trial to return it, and maybe get a Sensation 4G with HSPA+ support from T-Mobile or even an LTE phone from Verizon. Is that what you want?

I know you guys need the money, so start with this first, the actual end user. Convince me why I should stay and how you can at least provide me stable internet connectivity.

Tags (3)
62 REPLIES 62
Sprint Product Ambassador

Plastikglass-  I would love to help and apologize we weren't more responsive on twitter.   We can engage the Employees helping Customers support team to triage your issues but let's take this offline that way we can keep your personal info safe.  I will send you a private message to your Sprint community inbox so we can sync up.

Journeyman

Why does it bother me a bit that you only have 4 posts since Sep 11, 2008?

Master

It should not bother you. Dates listed are due to a profile conversion several years ago, not on activity. Yes his is newly posting on Community, but he is here to help you nonetheless.

Journeyman

Plastikglass, I have the same connectivity issue. I live right outside Philadelphia. I also left T-Mobile for Sprint (which may only be temporary if things don't get better fast). I either have one bar or I'm roaming all around town. I never had one issue in 2 years with TMO. I really like this phone but it's only going to be as good as the service.

lmiller006-  I would be more than happy to assist you as well.  I'll send you the same private message I sent plastikglass so we can engage Employee Helping customers support team if you are interested. 

Journeyman

Re: Internet connectivity issues! Sprint, now's your chance to keep a new customer

I too am having very poor 3G connectivity.  On average im getting abaout 50-70kbps down speeds (just a bit better than dialup!).  Last night i called customer support from my home and the guy i talked to was very helpful and did a reprovision of my phone and resend my information out to the towers.  This was done while my battery was pulled from the phone at his request, after putting the battery back in my speeds at home (with 3 bars reception) jumped consistently to around 500-600kbps down.  I then went up the street to where i get full reception and ran a test and was getting 900-1200kbps+ down so i thought my problem had been solved.

However this morning i get to work (Downtown Denver, CO) and i find that i am back to getting 50-70kbps down speeds(with full reception).  When the support tech i talked to last night resent my info to the towers, did he only do that to the towers in my area?  seems like i should be able to get at least close to similar speeds no matter where i am.  This has been extremely frustrating as this has been a problem since upgrading from my hero on the 3D release day.  I also have 4 friends that all upgraded to the 3D in various parts of the Denver Metro area that have the exact same issue i am having.

What needs to be done to ensure i can actually get somewhat decent speeds at both home and work?  Im not asking for blazing fast 3G speeds and if i could get 300k down on average at the office i would be pleny happy with that, but barely faster than dialup speeds with full reception and being 3 blocks from a tower is unacceptable.

jmiller-  I sent you an email as well to follow up on your issue, take a look at your Sprint community inbox and respond if you would like me to help.

Journeyman

This has to be a tower issue, definitely not the phone. When I was in Bleeker street a few nights ago after midnight, I was getting 2 megabits per second on 3g INDOORS! Only during the day time and in my home/work neighborhoods, 3g is slow and 4g is failing.

Wizard

plastikglass wrote:

This has to be a tower issue, definitely not the phone. When I was in Bleeker street a few nights ago after midnight, I was getting 2 megabits per second on 3g INDOORS! Only during the day time and in my home/work neighborhoods, 3g is slow and 4g is failing.

You're right, it must be a tower issue.  I'm in the bay area of California, and I get great speeds both on 3G and 4G.  Indoors, I get between 1.0 and 1.2 mbps d/l speed on 3G.  With 4G, I get no less than 4mbps d/l, but lately it has been between 6 and 7 mbps.  Outdoors I'm getting at least 8 mbps, usually 9.  These rates are pretty much rock steady.  Every once in a while there might be a fluctuation, but for the most part, my connection is solid.

Journeyman

Well I just got off the phone with Sprint. They said there are no issues with the towers in my area so they wrote me a ticket to take my phone into a Sprint store and have it checked out. So it's either the phone or I don't get the service that is advertised on the coverage map. I have a feeling it's a combination of a poor phone design and lack of network coverage. I could live without the 4G but I'm not staying on a 2 year contract with 1 bar on 3G or roaming. It a shame too because right now neither Verizon or T-Mobile have a 4G phone that I want. By the time Verizon does their plans will be tiered and T-Mobile throttles your speeds down to dial-up speeds if you go over.  

Journeyman

Add me to the list of very poor connectivity with the Evo 3d.  Data seems okay, but 3g is very spotty and I'm constantly roaming in my own home with maybe 1 bar.  Call quality absolutely sucks. New customer here, as well.  Eyeing that 30-day mark and T-Mobile's looking better...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat