cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it me or was the original EVO better?

Journeyman

Is it me or was the original EVO better?

Loved my original EVO but lost it unfortunately and was replaced with the 3D.  The EVO 3D has been nothing but troublesome since I got it (crash, crash, crash need I say more?).  I keep hearing about Icescream sandwich...will this improve overall performance and stop this flaky ass phone from crashing so much?

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Is it me or was the original EVO better?

I made the mistake of upgrading from the Evo 4g to the Evo 3D about 3 months ago. Biggest mistake I ever made. Phone has been nothing but problems. I have to restart several times a day, pull the battery out etc. The screen freezes constantly and is unresponsive. Lots of issues with this phone. This has to be the worst phone ever. I am on my second Evo 3D. Started with the black version which stopped working after 24 hours of purchasing it.  I now have the white version (refurbished of course).

Sprint Employee

I have been using the Evo 3D for months, I have had no trouble with the phone freezing or crashing. What had you been doing with the phone when it freezes or resets?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I mean it seemed to freeze if i switched on WiFi and tried to browse...sometimes it froze just browsing with 3G.  I can't count how many times the phone froze then wouldn't boot (freeze at the Sprint 3D animation then cycle which forced me to factory reset the phone).  After that awful experience I started rebooting my phone daily to keep it fresh and this past weekend once again it froze and got stuck at the 3D animation.  I'm VERY close to grabbing an iphone and calling it a day.  Waiting for icescream sandwich to see if it remedies my issues is also pushing me in that direction.

Sprint Employee

While browsing the web were you going to websites optimized for a computer's browser, or websites optimized for a mobile browser? When the phone wouldn't boot how long did you wait at the boot screen before resetting? Have you installed any system utility type apps?

Journeyman

I did not use the original Evo 4G, in fact this phone is my first HTC phone, however compared to the Samsung and Motorola Android phones I've owned, I have found the Evo 3D to be quite stable. Once in a blue moon the OS shell (Sense) will restart itself, but I have not had the phone crash very much at all. In fact I can't remember the last time it did.

If there were something inherent in the Evo 3D causing your problems, I think the problems would be far more universal, and I am not the only one in this thread who is not experiencing the same things you are. The two obvious explanations are

• You are doing something with the software that we are not
  • Your particular phone has some kind of manufacturing defect

I sincerely hope you manage to get to the bottom of this problem.

Journeyman

I primarily visited sites optimized for mobile browsing.  Never installed any system utility type apps and the phone would cycle a few seconds after it got stuck at the 3D logo.

GrandMaster

does it only happen when youre using the browser or randomly/any time it wishes?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Employee

Hello JAFU21682, I sent a private message to you yesterday afternoon, please reply to it if you are still having trouble and would like assistance.

Journeyman

I don't want to say that the original Evo 4G was better but I will say that I agree with the OP that the 3D has a lot of random bugs.  The screen on mine will randomly become unresponsive or just freeze altogether.  I know that there are a ton of articles regarding the minor difference between a 5 mp camera and an 8 but I still think that my original Evo's camera worked better/faster. Again, my own opinion though it may not necessarily be true.

I went from a Sidekick w/ T-Mo to HTC w/ Sprint and I am seriously considering giving a different phone maker a chance. My only problem with getting a device made by another carrier is that I like Sense. Vanilla Android as is found on Nexus devices is just boring. And it isn't very convenient. For example, I hate having to call somebody from my wife's Nexus S because I can't simply punch in a few of the numbers/letters of the person's contact information like my Evo 3D.

On the flip side, I hate having to wait and wait and wait to finally receive my updates from HTC and even when it finally DOES happen, the layout of the phone is in no way different. Some minor changes happened from Froyo to Gingerbread in terms of UI but essentially it was the same.

I don't have to make a choice as my upgrade isn't coming due until July of 2013 but assuming we survive the end of the world at the end of this year, I'm pretty excited to see the HTC Evo 4G LTE One X Ultra Hyper Mega Phone and the Galaxy Universe Milky Way Nexus.

Journeyman

I've had multiple devices from a variety of manufacturers including Samsung, Nokia, LG, Apple, HTC and Motorola. If a device is acting outside the norm you're best to do one hard reset and if the trouble continues just exchange the device. It is obviously defective at this point. If you are running the device stock there is no reason it should be giving you those types of problems. I've had or seen these issues with all major device manufacturers. It is not a problem that is unique to one company. It is the unfortunate reality of manufacturing highly complex electronics and circuitry. There is going to be a small failure rate when you're churning out millions of devices and not all these issues get caught in assembly. Don't spend any more time in frustration. Switch the device and move on with your life!

Wizard

I had the original EVO and now have the EVO 3D and have never had any problems what so ever with either of them. I must say the EVO 3D is better in every way than the original one. Faster,more internal storage, better screen. Oh, there is one thing the first EVO had that was better than the new one, external speaker.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat