cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard keeps jumping up/down, disappearing, and deleting words just typed

Journeyman

Keyboard keeps jumping up/down, disappearing, and deleting words just typed

This problem with my EVO 3D has been going on far too long.  I'm not using Swype, my phone is not rooted, but everything is up-to-date.  Sometimes, I can't even get the keyboard to move to the landscape position.

Once the keyboard starts jumping up and down when I'm trying to type , it then becomes impossible to type because it eventually disappears.  If I'm lucky enough to get it to reappear by doing a hard reset, then I can start typing again only to have the cursor jump back to be in front of the word I just typed when I hit the space bar.  Then, when I type the first letter of the next word, the previous word just disappears.  All the letters work when I do get to successfully type which is getting rarer and rarer these days.  I love to Twitter but this problem is quickly putting me out of commission.

I have not found a similiar problem as mine in the Android Forums.  Looking for any assistance to this particular issue.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Master

Re: Keyboard keeps jumping up/down, disappearing, and deleting words just typed

When you said you performed a hard reset, do you mean you cleared your whole phone off and started new as if it was a new phone?  Or do you mean you just took the battery out?  It isn't clear if this is a hardware issue or a software issue.  If you have performed a hard reset which clears your whole phone and the problem is continuing to happen, you should visit a Sprint Service & Repair center.  If you just mean you have taken the battery out and put it back in, you can try clearing data on the HTC keyboard.  Just go to home/menu/settings/applications/manage applications/touch input and press clear data.  Then see if your keyboard works properly.

Thanks

-John

Journeyman

Thanks for your reply.  By hard reset I meant completely powering off the phone and removing the battery....have done this steps numerous times. 

I went through your steps and when getting to "manage applications", what shows up on the screen is all my applications.  There is no "input" and "clear data" options.

Looks like I will need to take the phone in at this point.  Thanks for trying; I do appreciate it. :-)

Master

After you go to all applications, the app to clear data on is "TOUCH input" - it is listed alphabetically under T.  I am sure it is there because I verified before I replied to you with one of our test Evo 3D phones.  So please try this again, I am pretty confident that this will fix the issue. Good luck!

-John

Journeyman

John,

Thanks for the clarification.  After going to the "Manage Application", the one step that was left out in your original instructions was to first click on "All" that's listed across the top of the screen as it's defaulted to "Downloaded" and that is the list I was checking after reading your first message.  I cleared the "Touch Input" (only showed 116 kb) so I look forward to seeing if my issue is resolved. 

Regardless of what happens, I will report back to this thread.  Thanks for taking the time to help out.

bruno

Master

I apologize that I left that step out.

-John

Journeyman

Lol, no apologies needed!  Since I'm not all that proficient with my first "smart phone", I need detailed instructions when it comes to troubleshooting.  I'm thankful you stepped in and replied to my issue.  Chat soon.

bruno

Journeyman

You're not the only one having these problems with the Evo 3D.  I'm now on phone #4, and waiting for my backordered replacement.  I'm so frustrated that HTC and Sprint won't take accountablity for the faulty product and offer a refund or recall the phones.  They just keep "refurbishing" them and passing them out again (only to have them not work properly again).  I don't know what recourse I have, as they are a big, uncaring corporation who has me under contract.

Journeyman

Hi robotaholic,

I can't truly be sure but I think your method possibly fixed the problem as reported in Post #1.

Unfortunately, I have not been with my cell phone much in the last 2 days as a couple of problems also developed that had nothing to do with your fix. 

I'll post my latest issue up in a new thread.  Again, once I have more time and access to using the keyboard on my Evo 3D, I'll do another follow-up.

Regards,

bruno

Journeyman

Sorry to hear about your phone issues.  However, they do not have anything to do with the thread I started.

Highlighted
Master

The post created by brandimerm8  was rejected for that reason.

mapesy

Journeyman

robotholic,

Sorry to report the bad news but your suggested method above to possibly help with my jumping/disappearing keyboard and words failed to work once I had my phone long enough to test it out.

I had to get a ticket # from Customer Service to get the issue resolved.  Ultimately, the Sprint Store had to do a factory reset so I'm still going back and making my personal changes/defaults at this time.  So far, the keyboard has been working flawlessly.  In fact, it's a slightly different looking keyboard than the original one that came with the phone.  Other things appear a little differnt as well. 

Appreciate your assistance.

bruno

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat