cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Camera Settings & 1080p Video Recording

Highlighted
Journeyman

Missing Camera Settings & 1080p Video Recording

The HTC site says that there are supposed to be different scenes  (action, panoramic, low light, etc) that I can change my camera to or  let it automatically select the appropriate scene. 

1.     Also, where is the  option for 1080p video recording that was in the press release and all  over the hands on demonstrations? 

These options are not in the camera  application and this seems to me like false advertising on Sprint and  HTC's part.

2.     Why do we have a downgraded camera app from the  Sensation that was just released? 

It has all these different  settings, scenes & 1080p recording.  Thinking about returning and going with a phone  that has the latest stuff from HTC.  This is kind of ridiculous for a  phone code named the "Shooter" (camera reference) and for a phone that  is supposed to be Sprint's new "flagship"

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Regarding ( 1 ) the press release was wrong, bummer. It does 720p.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I completly agree, I'm pretty dissapointed about this,

How much effort would have been involved to simply put the later apk on the Sense 3.0 ROM for the 3D?

This is yet again another rush job on HTC/Sprints side, kind of like the stupidity involved with my Evo 4g with its framerate limitation.

And yet again people are going to have to root their devices to fix Sprint's/HTC's short comings by getting the legit camera apk and putting it on /system/bin/

Come on Sprint, you give us this so called "Super Car" and start stripping out all the gadgets?

Highlighted
Master

I understand what you guys mean, but keep in mind it's just a phone, and even though there are many more coming out, there is just a handful of camcorders out there that record full HD 1080p and the price tag is not small. I think for  the price the EVO is and the performance that I've seen on mine, is quite good.

Sprint and HTC have jumped the gun many times and this was not any different, but I don't think its a deal breaker. (Just my opinion)

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted

rick.spencer wrote:

Regarding ( 1 ) the press release was wrong, bummer. It does 720p.

BUT its a software limitation right now. Its not b/c the hardware doesn't support it b/c in fact the hardware fully supports and is capable of recording 1080p.

I think they had some security issues or bugs in these things and they were removed from the version till they get worked out along with some other things.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So this is interesting. Many have said that it's merely a software limitation that caps recording at 720p. However, HTC's own review of the phone now says that it can "Record 2D/3D videos with up to 720p resolution".

If it were merely a software limitation, my guess is that HTC would have announced that they will fix this.  Since I haven't seen that, I don't think it's just a software limitation--I think the spec sheets were wrong.  And if it is a "software limitation," I am confident that HTC won't be changing the limitation because they have ammended their spec sheets so show 720p max recording of both 2D and 3d.  So if it is a software limitation, it could only be fixed by changing the software once the phone becomes rootable, which may never happen.  And EVEN THEN, the 1080p might work poorly (and that could be why the specs were downgraded in the first place!).  This is yet another disappointment with the 3-VO (along with it being locked) and yes, may result in my returning the unit.

Here's my source from HTC: http://www.htc.com/www/product/evo3d/specification.html

Sources have also reported that Sprint has said "Our apologies, but there was a typo in the spec sheet for EVO 3D. The correct feature should read: capture video up to 720p and playback up to 1080p on both 2D and 3D."  However, I have not confirmed this as actually having come from Sprint (it's just a supposed quote found in forums).

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

PANAMAFEVER wrote:

So this is interesting. Many have said that it's merely a software limitation that caps recording at 720p. However, HTC's own review of the phone now says that it can "Record 2D/3D videos with up to 720p resolution".

If it were merely a software limitation, my guess is that HTC would have announced that they will fix this.  Since I haven't seen that, I don't think it's just a software limitation--I think the spec sheets were wrong.  And if it is a "software limitation," I am confident that HTC won't be changing the limitation because they have ammended their spec sheets so show 720p max recording of both 2D and 3d.  So if it is a software limitation, it could only be fixed by changing the software once the phone becomes rootable, which may never happen.  And EVEN THEN, the 1080p might work poorly (and that could be why the specs were downgraded in the first place!).  This is yet another disappointment with the 3-VO (along with it being locked) and yes, may result in my returning the unit.

Here's my source from HTC: http://www.htc.com/www/product/evo3d/specification.html

Sources have also reported that Sprint has said "Our apologies, but there was a typo in the spec sheet for EVO 3D. The correct feature should read: capture video up to 720p and playback up to 1080p on both 2D and 3D."  However, I have not confirmed this as actually having come from Sprint (it's just a supposed quote found in forums).

Hope this helps!

Well it is software, it was touted when the phone was originally released even at the CTIA event. Many things on the phone are different from the CTIA event and were removed at last min changes. I can only assume this was because of bug related stuff.

1) watch the CTIA videos of the 3D and you'll notice they show a transparant rosie(bottom bar in sense), and the current release has NO transparant bars on any of the scenes.

2) flashlight app was removed last minute

3) battery widget also removed

4) Panoramic camera mode also shown at CTIA was also removed at last minute.

#1 and #4 are supposedly being added "possibly" as part of an update later.

btw, the chip in the Evo3d the Qualcomm MSM8660 chip with adreno-220 graphics chip CAN handle recording in 1080p at 30fps. http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/specs

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat