cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating causing a host of issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well this may have been discussed previously, but im also including a list of problems i noticed AFTER an overheating occurance. I was recently using my GPS navigation, was on about an hour ride in the evening. Had the screen on giving me the typical turn by turn directions as i would with my EVO 4G, and it was plugged into the car charger as i did not want to drain the battery using GPS, 4G, and 3G radios on. When i got to my destination and puled my phone off the dash it was insanely hot. Not just warm, HOT. I opened the battery widget and it stated the temp was 125F, now i dont know how correct these thing are and didn't have a laser thermometer at the time, but more then a few seconds in my hand and it was extremely uncomfortable. I took out the battery and let the thing cool down in front of a fan for about an hour. Put everything back together and all seemed to be ok. Until a few hours had passed, and not doing much of anything the battery was very low (was at 99% when i took it off the car charger), so i plugged it into the wall outlet... this is where everything started going funny, kept telling me i was plugged into a docking station and i was not. Not to many other things that night, but the next day was bad, i had full cell service, yet 3G was a bit sluggish, and i went to 4G to stream some 3D vids on you tube to show off the phone to some friends, and it was so slow that it would just time out, this was with full 4G service, i also noticed it would not readily connect to wifi networks i had previously saved and connected too even after forgetting and resetting it up and with a reset of the phone. It was not simply a glitch in that particular 4G area, i have now noticed this with every 4G i connect to in 2 different states that it barley gets any bandwidth. Other problems that manifested after that day were, it will no longer charge in the car, and it charges painfully slow through a computer usb port. Only through a wall outlet will it charge at an appreciable rate. Battery life is 50-75% of what it was pre-overheating, only lasts 2-4 hours with minimal use and all radios off. I have also noticed glitchy things happening to the touch screen, where ill try to press one button and another will select, or try to scroll and find a dead spot where it wont recognize where i am touching. there is also an issue with HTC sense will reload and reset for no apparent reason, and the camera will freeze the phone if i try to take 2 pictures in quick succession.

This phone is excellent, and i did not have a single issue that i am describing until it appeared to get too hot. So i got it on launch day and it was 1 and 1/2 weeks of awesome... then its been 1 and 1/2 of problems. Yes i have tried a factory reset (actually 2) thinking maybe i downloaded an app that was causing me grief.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

You should toke it to a Sprint repair store and have them check it out.  At the very least they should change the battery.  Intense heat can effect circuit boards connections etc.  Good luck, it is a nice phone.  Rick

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Overheating causing a host of issues.

My Evo 3D just overheated on me this morning....I charge it while I sleep and when I woke up it was only half charged and the notification light was flashing red and green.

Also uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Shut her down, pulled the battery and put a new one is...seems to be ok now.

If I notice any issues I won't hesitate to take it down to sprint...although..I bought it at best buy less than 30 days ago so i may need to take it back there.

Definitely take it in! Sprint Customer support has ALWAYS taken care of me! I am sure they will replace it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

QTNICHOLE23 wrote:

My Evo 3D just overheated on me this morning....I charge it while I sleep and when I woke up it was only half charged and the notification light was flashing red and green.

Also uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Shut her down, pulled the battery and put a new one is...seems to be ok now.

If I notice any issues I won't hesitate to take it down to sprint...although..I bought it at best buy less than 30 days ago so i may need to take it back there.

Definitely take it in! Sprint Customer support has ALWAYS taken care of me! I am sure they will replace it.

Yeah i brought it into the Sprint store which i purchased the unit from. And i had a list of all the issues i encountered after the overheating. They plugged it into their diagnostic system which tested just about everything the phone can do and it failed the diagnostic test. So they just gave me a brand new one and all is right in the world !! 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called them, and i was correct...In my case i have to take it back to best buy.

I have noticed the battery draining very quickly and it seems sluggish online as well. Sigh.

I have no car until saturday, so hopefully it doesn't blow up before then! haha

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wanted to post on here because i am also having the same problem and want it to be known. My phone started heating up last night when charging. So I downloaded a battery app to check it. it was reading at 105 degrees fahrenheit. And it charging at 4.385 when it should not charge over 4.2. I then unplug the phone to let it cool down over night at that point it had a 99% charge on it. When i woke up my phone was dead. Now the battery will not hold a charge. Taking it back to sprint today and will see what will happen with this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Overheating causing a host of issues.

I took mine back to best buy...the sales guy was hesitant to exchange for a new one since "he hadn't heard of the issue" but ended up getting me a new one.

So far so good with the new one! Best of luck to anyone else experiencing this issue!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat