Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Reboots when on Wireless

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi,

I got my 3D on Friday at 8:30 a.m.  For the most part I love it.  The big problem that I'm having is that my phone has randomly rebooted quite a bit.  It usually happens when it's asleep.  I will either feel it in my pocket vibrate and find that the HTC boot screen is showing or I will hear it vibrate when sitting on a table. On occasion it has happened when I've been using the phone and an app (it has been various apps) will hang or the buttons on the bottom will light up and the screen will stay black for 10-15 seconds before rebooting itself.  There have been periods where it's rebooting every 10 minutes to 2-3 times an hour.

I've tried some different settings on it to see what it could be, but over the weekend I noticed that the problem really only happens when my wireless is on.  Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions for tests I should try to determine exactly what may be causing the reboots? 

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Edfox-   There have been a couple of software updates that have been pushed since the device launch on Friday that might be trying to install, is the issue still happening regularly?  Are you receiving messages prior to or after the reboot occurs?  I'm a Sprint employee and might be able to help so any additional details you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Journeyman

The issue hasn't been happening today as I've been off of wireless and it doesn't appear to happen unless I have my wireless radio on.  I am not receiving any messages relative to the reboots, they're just random.  If they happen in my pocket I'm unaware of anything.  When I'm working on it and it happens, usually the screen will blank, the buttons (home, menu, etc.) will light up, but if I press them I get no haptic feedback and nothing happens.  Then, usually after 10-15 seconds, the phone kicks off and reboots itself starting with the HTC boot screen.  To my knowledge I successfully installed the updates from last Friday, but I'm not really sure I would know if one was hanging there.  Is there a way to ensure they installed fully?

Wizard

Have you noticed it getting hot when it reboots? The device will power down if it gets too hot, and wifi does add to the device's temperature. I would definitely try uninstalling any apps you have that run in the background and turn on wifi to test it. I would be particularly wary of any anti-virus, launchers or task killers you may have installed.

If you can't find an app that may be causing it, you would probably want to back up your contacts to your memory card (Messages > Menu > Import/Export > Export) and hard reset your device (Home > Menu > Settings > SD & Phone Storage > Factory Data Reset). Be aware that a hard reset will delete all data on the phone memory and restore all settings to factory default.

Journeyman

My Evo4 reboots when I am on 3G or Wifi.After a few minutes on it reboots and when it reboots the first time it does it  every few minutes after. Does not seem to be a problem unless I have 3g on or I am using Wifi. Seems to be a common problem, when are we going to see a fix?

Wizard

That has a been a commonly reported problem with EVOs since the Gingerbread update. My personal opinion is that the update is real finicky with certain apps or high processor usage. Mine used to restart almost every time I used Google navigation. Everything seems to have gotten a lot more stable after the last 4.54.651.1 security update AND (for me) a Google Maps update. I also feel it helped that I did a complete factory reset before the 4.22.651.1 update which came after the 4.22.651.2 update.

cclrtevo4 wrote:

My Evo4 reboots when I am on 3G or Wifi.After a few minutes on it reboots and when it reboots the first time it does it  every few minutes after. Does not seem to be a problem unless I have 3g on or I am using Wifi. Seems to be a common problem, when are we going to see a fix?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat