cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint inserting javascript into web pages

Journeyman

Sprint inserting javascript into web pages

I'm a webmaster for several websites, and while working on one of my websites today (I was at a park enjoying the weather, so I was using the mobile data connection) the NoScript extension in Firefox warned me that it was blocking javascript from the site 1.2.3.4.  I spent 45 minutes disecting the code and database on my website thinking it'd been hacked, and found no trace of the code in question on my website, but viewing source on the site from my phone clearly showed the offending javascript reference to a file called bmi-int-js/bmi.js on the site 1.2.3.4.  After determining my site was fine and something in between me and the site must be inserting it, I searched Google and found many references to AT&T inserting this exact same Javascript into web pages.  Apparently Sprint is now doing it as well.  In AT&T's case, it was supposed to be an image optimazation service - the javascript would replace any image links in the web page with a proxy url going through their servers that would download the images, scale them down, and send you a smaller copy of it.

It's a nice thought, but I'd really appeciate it if my web content didn't get screwed with on the way down to me from web sites.

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Sprint inserting javascript into web pages

I became annoyed by this because this code inserts "Shift+R to improve the quality of this image..." on a desktop machine when you hover over it with your mouse. I'm not so bothered by the compressed images, but this pop-up is very intrusive.

With Firefox it is easy to get rid of by putting a Filter in the AdBlocker extension with the 1.2.3.4... address in it. Not sure how to do this with IE.

I'm pretty sure this has happened in just the past several weeks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint inserting javascript into web pages

Thanks for this post - I found it via Google, and hadn't considered that Sprint was doing this. I had noticed it more and more lately because I was using the Sprint network much more than usual lately.

I thought I had a bad virus or variant of DNS switcher or something, I even had my router blocking traffic to  1.2.3.4 and could not seem to stop the connections and desipite all the negative scans I was about to start changing all my passwords for my dozens of various accounts and contacting my financial institutions. So you definitely saved me much time.  If you are ever n Virginia I owe you a beer or a fresh-squeezed limeaid.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat