Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is having an issue with poor GPS on the HTC Evo 3D?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ditto, same problems here.  I tried to use Google Maps "turn by turn" directions to drive to a family wedding on Saturday and it would lose the GPS signal frequently and also lose position to the point it would tell me to turn several times when I was travelling on the Interstate obviously not able to make the turns.  It would then regain it's mind and say continue on Interstate for 6 miles.  Evo 4G never had this problem.

More aggravating than that however is the Swype prediction dictionary being in Spanish when set to English.  It makes Swype completely unusable to the point right now that I had to grab my laptop to make this reply.  The tracing issues are fixed by switching back to std. keyboard input and then back to Swype.  Annoying but I can deal with that until a OTA fix comes through.  Anyone solved the prediction issues yet?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very familliar with gps functions on the phone as I use it often for my work.  This being said, I am on my 3rd Evo 3d because of this problem.  My current one is a bit better but you can watch it drop sattelites for no reason.  I have compared it with my old EVO and there is a definite problem with some of the gps receivers if not all.

I have verified that there is an issue and even proved it to the Sprint technician that said it was working fine by showing him the problem and did a side by side comparison with my old Evo.

Sprint, you need to look into this and acknowledge it.  Otherwise Evo 3d #3 will be going back also.

Slaakker

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had problems with GPS as well.  Sprint suggested I replace my first one, which I did,  but problem is occurring on the 2nd one as well.   Although I'm beyond my 30 days, I will continue to hound Sprint about it.  It certainly sounds like a software problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine is dropping GPS signal too.  Radio Shack tells me im just nuts, so I guess this is the tech support I get. I called everyone posibler, returned the phone for another one, and still I have a terible signal and GPS drops on the highway over and over. I know its the phone because I used an android on Metropcs for a year and never once lost the GPS signal! I am going to return this phone and go with another carrier

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im having poor GPS as well.  Mine actually says that I am located 2 counties away, can you beleive that one??  If anyone knows of a way I can reset, reboot, or fix this annoyance, please pass it on.  Im going out of my mind with a system that I cant use.  Great use of my hard earned money, ya know?

Highlighted
Journeyman

hey.. does yours cut out on the highway? Mine does where I should never have any prob.  Tomorow I am going to trade it in for the new motorolla dual core android phone..  problem solved. Notice you dont see this evo 3d on other networks? Wonder why? They must not want the trouble from it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Who is having an issue with poor GPS on the HTC Evo 3D?

Mine is cutting out on the highway as well.  Let us know how you like the Photon. I'm also considering trading for that, but I've never been much of a fan of Motorola's UI.  However, if I can't get this working, it's a deal breaker for me.

I did report this to HTC last night, and they said they are aware of the problem. No idea when it will be fixed, though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having this problem, one example of mine is,   

I was traveling down an interstate, and didn't have a turn for 75 miles.   The GPS all of a sudden would say, turn right, turn right, turn left, continue straight for 74 miles.   Then 20 seconds later, turn left, turn right, turn left, go straight for 73 miles.   Then all of a sudden, it shows me on the frontage road 300' from the road I am on.  Then it tries to get me back to the interstate I am already on?    This happens in both Sygic and google nav.    Not sure if it is related, but it does seem to happen a little more when I have it plugged in to the charger at the same time?   I never have a problem actually getting a GPS lock though, only a second or two and it has lock normally.  Just must lose it then.

Brew

Highlighted
Journeyman

murphy751 wrote:

hey.. does yours cut out on the highway? Mine does where I should never have any prob.  Tomorow I am going to trade it in for the new motorolla dual core android phone..  problem solved. Notice you dont see this evo 3d on other networks? Wonder why? They must not want the trouble from it.

Emphasis added.

You will rarely see an exact model duplicated across different US cell carriers. Instead, they make slightly different variants of a given phone for each carrier. T-Mobile has the HTC Sensation which seems to be the corresponding "sister phone" of the Evo 3D. They certainly share a lot of parts, but for some reason the Sensation has much better GPS, but suffers from a really bad Wi-Fi reception problem. Oh, and it lacks the 3D thing. Otherwise, they seem to be nearly identical.

I'm a current T-Mobile customer who will probably be switching to Sprint over the next year (I want to do it before the @$#% AT&T merger goes through). As someone who has suffered from all the GPS problems associated with the Samsung Vibrant, I'm really disappointed to hear about GPS problems with the Evo 3D. In general, HTC tends to do a much better job with GPS than other phone manufacturers (the Sensation being a good example).

If it is of any help to you, a very similiar problem with the Vibrant turned out to be a collection of software and hardware problems. The software fixes did not work for me, so after 5 replacements from T-Mobile, I was forced to find a hardware solution on my own. The hardware solution turned out to be something called a "bluetooth GPS receiver", basically a GPS antenna and chipset in a small separate device that communicates with your phone via Bluetooth. A separate app needs to be installed to allow your phone's GPS functions to be taken over by the external device. They tend to cost between $40 and $60 (get one with the SiRFstar III chipset for best results). It annoys me to no end that I had to pay money to fix the problem with my Vibrant's GPS, but I now have pinpoint GPS accuracy except when in certain kinds of terrain (e.g. surrounded by skyscrapers, under bridges, etc.).

Based on my experience with the Vibrant community dealing with a similar problems, you guys should probably try to eliminate some other variables as you discuss this problem. The really maddening thing about the Vibrant's problem is that not all Vibrants seem to have the same problems, and it's hard to pin down why. As you discuss this, what kind of terrain are you in? Rural, urban, or suburban? Are there terrain obstructions or bad weather when you notice the problems (e.g. do the problems tend to happen more in certain places than others)? Is the phone mounted low and center on the windshield to reduce signal attenuation from your vehicle's roof? How many satellites is your phone connected to when you get these problems (that last one is hard since that number tends to change frequently on any GPS device)?

Good luck with your GPS problems. I probably won't be switching to Sprint for many months. Hopefully by then either HTC will have ironed out these problems with the Evo 3D, or by then Sprint will have another dual core phone that has better GPS (I personally am highly dependent on the GPS features of a phone).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too barely have issues with the GPS connectivity on my EVO 3D - it could be a location issue, but I'll just note one thing that Google Maps Navigation had a flaw on: some roads in Seattle only have a one-way turn, quite specifically because the turn-to-left is blocked by a sort of road divider.  Google Maps wanted me to Turn "Left" on a one-way lane that only turns right.  Also, the choices for the voice only has a few selections; usually, when I get a GPS I always like a British woman talking to me, Google Nav's speech still sounds like an American, and worse, it's not even trying hard to be British (Any Brits and Australians here, go see and try it...).  So I use the (included by Stock) TeleNav GPS... which is quite okay and has updated maps (I think), Accurate knowledge of the road, a well-dictioned Australian Girl talking to me, and an option to change the "arrow" that represents your vehicle, into a Muscle car (which I drive) an ordinary car, bus, truck, even a pirate-ship and a battle tank (those cost $0.99 each at least by the way on the TeleNav website).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, I completely forgot that I posted that before becoming a Sprint customer. That was a long time ago.

I've had my Evo 3D for some time now, and I am very happy with the GPS accuracy. It is not quite as accurate as the dedicated GPS bluetooth device I had to use with my Samsung phone, but it's good enough that I no longer use the bluetooth device at all.

There are times when I get bad GPS reception, specifically when I drive a particular van at work. This is because of the phone's position in that van. More of the vehicle ceiling is between the phone and the sky, so there is more signal attenuation, which results in poor GPS accuracy.

I bring this up mostly because I'm someone who has had a lot of GPS problems over the years (as mentioned earlier, I used to own a Samsung device) and it took me a long time to figure out that the position of your phone can make a big difference in GPS signal reception. I figure anyone still reading this old thread may find this useful.

The roof of your vehicle does not block the GPS signal, but does attenuate (weaken) it. The ideal position for getting the best GPS reception is dead center at the bottom of your front windshield, but of course GPS devices have touch interfaces and you can't reach that, so the position is going to have to be a compromise between that and what you can actually reach.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat