Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade kills wireless connection?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

HI,

I just returned my evo 3d for a new one. On the way home I had a great signal, 5 bars the whole ride home almost. Then it did some upgrade and now it sucks again just like the other one i returned.

I absolutley love this phone itself, but there is something seriously wrong with it. I only wish HTC would do something about it. Radio Shack tells me I am nuts so I guess I must be just imagining this no bars reception at my house, and dropped calls, bad connections on important calls, dropped gps signal over and over on even the highway! I didnt have this problem with Metro PCS !  Further, there is a signal problem here since 3 weeks ago. Even with my metro phone the signal just went really bad all of a sudden and they have yet to acknowlege this. maybe they are upgrading an antenna or something? My zip is 02356. If this doesnt get better in like 5 days I have to return it for a refund. I cannot just hope it gets better and have a 2 year contract!

I see others too have a problem with this phones reception. Mine was great until the "update" and yes I have updated the PRN or whatever its called 100 times!

HELP!!

6 REPLIES 6
Master

You didn't mention if you had high speed internet at your home - If you do call and get a free AIRVANA airave and you will never have a problem at home.  Others are reporting similar signal issues and I have been submitting some signal logs to the investigational team.  Do you have a program like Cellumap that gives you an actual RSSI number? - (bars can be misleading)

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Hi.. thx for answering. I have wifi at home but I dont want to have to pay a monthly fee for this thing. especially since two weeks ago I had a great signal here. I just got a ATT phone which has a great connection here and if I cannot fix this sprint one in a day or 2 i have to give it back and refund. Shame cause I LOVE the sprint phone. I know you can fix this! pleeeasssee! xD

>> "Do you have a program like Cellumap that gives you an actual RSSI number? - (bars can be misleading)" <<

yes, and it said between 100 and 105 for this rssi thingee. I dont know what it means. no bars where I used to have no prob though.

last.. When I exchanged the phone it was great on the ride home. It then updated and stinks now. I don't know if the update is the problem? It won't just swich to roaming too. It goes dead for a few seconds before latching onto the att or verizon signal. I wish it would just roam when it needs to roam. I wouldn't care what its doing as long as my calls are clear and the GPS works. This phone seems to have a lot of trouble switching signals between towers. It waits until theres nothing before it will switch. Its like it does not prefer the better one until theres none at all on the current one.. I know theres a software glitch. This of course is a second problem. The first one is tha my house 2 weeks ago had a great signal with metro pcs and sprint, and now has an aweful one. Metro uses sprint too right?

Master

Tower outage ticket number 7732576

They are working on getting service restored to how it was.  Don't be too bugged by the disruption as it looks like it will be working by the weekend.

RSSI over 98 means very low signal. (Return Signal Strength Indicator)

Larry

Journeyman

Thank you very much for finding this out. I REALLY like this phone's design, and all the bells and whistles xD, and sprint has a great deal, so I will be very happy if it works better in my house like they all did a couple weeks ago.

How about the upgrade thingee?  When I was driving home with the new phone the signal was incredible the whole ride. but later when I went back out it had spotty coverage and its RSSI is actually over 98 a LOT.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.  Thax also for the free lesson in network terminology and signal strength

Journeyman

oh... and that link is bad btw haha. Do you have a good link?

I had the following but it goes 404...

http://servicemanagement.corp.sprint.com/NetworkEventBoard/NEBEventDetails.aspx?Tno=7732576&N=1

maybe I need to be an admin like u to access?

Journeyman

murphy751 wrote:

Hi.. thx for answering. I have wifi at home but I dont want to have to pay a monthly fee for this thing. especially since two weeks ago I had a great signal here. I just got a ATT phone which has a great connection here and if I cannot fix this sprint one in a day or 2 i have to give it back and refund. Shame cause I LOVE the sprint phone. I know you can fix this! pleeeasssee! xD

>> "Do you have a program like Cellumap that gives you an actual RSSI number? - (bars can be misleading)" <<

yes, and it said between 100 and 105 for this rssi thingee. I dont know what it means. no bars where I used to have no prob though.

last.. When I exchanged the phone it was great on the ride home. It then updated and stinks now. I don't know if the update is the problem? It won't just swich to roaming too. It goes dead for a few seconds before latching onto the att or verizon signal. I wish it would just roam when it needs to roam. I wouldn't care what its doing as long as my calls are clear and the GPS works. This phone seems to have a lot of trouble switching signals between towers. It waits until theres nothing before it will switch. Its like it does not prefer the better one until theres none at all on the current one.. I know theres a software glitch. This of course is a second problem. The first one is tha my house 2 weeks ago had a great signal with metro pcs and sprint, and now has an aweful one. Metro uses sprint too right?

The thing that changed may not have been the firmware update. If Sprint did something to the cell phone tower that services your phone right when you did the firmware update, this could explain the same observations. I'm not saying I know one way or the other, but it can't hurt to ask Sprint about this.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat