Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G LTE storage question/issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

4G LTE storage question/issue

So, allegedly this thing has 16 GB built in, as well as an SD slot...I have an 8 GB card in my slot...so, whether the space is used or not, shouldn't it show (when I connect to my computer and mount as a disc drive) 24 GB total? When I connect my phone to the computer and mount as a disc drive, it shows a 7.39 GB drive (I'm assuming by that number, that it is looking only at the SD card...and does the formatting on an SD card really take up 600 MB?)  When I go in the phone itself, to "Settings > Storage", under "Internal Storage" it tells me: Total Space 2.09 GB; Apps 243 MB; Available 1.85 GB. Under "Phone Storage" it tells me: Total Space: 9.93 GB; Available 9.60 GB. So...is this typical? Is the OS on some secured partition that doesn't even appear to the phone itself internally, or to my computer externally?

I have a weird/screwy storage issue follow-up question after this, but first would like to figure out the initial question of internal storage and SD storage and the apparent discrepancies.

Thanks for any help!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

You have two places where you can store music, videos, pictures, and other stuff:

1. The SD card - how ever big you decide you want to purchase and use

2. The internal storage on the phone - shows up as 9.93 GB on my computer

To access the SD card storage, plug in the USB cable into your phone and computer, and select "Disk Drive". This is just like most phones.

To access the 9.93 GB phone storage, plug in the USB cable as above, and select "Media Sync". On my phone and computer, I get two folders: "Card" and "Phone". The "Card" is my SD card storage. The "phone' is the internal 10 GB storage on the phone. They are separate. The phone is not smart enough to combine them into one virtual pool. Next release maybe. Maybe not. Your 8 GB card will never show 8 GB. Long story, google it. I installed HTC Sync, which may have drivers that support "Media Sync". I can't figure out what I did, but there it is.

There is other storage that the operating system uses, but don't worry about it.

Highlighted
Master

The way the 16gb in the phone works is the following,

10gb for media

4gb for apps

2gb for OS and upgrades

When you mount the phone as a disc drive, you only see the SD card, not the phone itself, you have to use Media Sync to see the storage on the phone.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

zSalesGuy wrote:

You have two places where you can store music, videos, pictures, and other stuff:

1. The SD card - how ever big you decide you want to purchase and use

2. The internal storage on the phone - shows up as 9.93 GB on my computer

To access the SD card storage, plug in the USB cable into your phone and computer, and select "Disk Drive". This is just like most phones.

To access the 9.93 GB phone storage, plug in the USB cable as above, and select "Media Sync". On my phone and computer, I get two folders: "Card" and "Phone". The "Card" is my SD card storage. The "phone' is the internal 10 GB storage on the phone. They are separate. The phone is not smart enough to combine them into one virtual pool. Next release maybe. Maybe not. Your 8 GB card will never show 8 GB. Long story, google it. I installed HTC Sync, which may have drivers that support "Media Sync". I can't figure out what I did, but there it is.

There is other storage that the operating system uses, but don't worry about it.

It likely will never support merging the internal and SD card storage into a single volume. It isn't a matter of the phone not being "smart" enough, rather it is simply technically not possible without numerous end-user issues. You would never be able to remove the SD card or it would break the merged volume and likely lose all of the information with it. It's theoretically possible, but not practical with a removable storage medium.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

When you connect it to your PC you should get two USB Removable Drives - one for internal and one for the SD card.  That's how my Photon works anyway. 

Drive GB measurements are funky at best.  the '8GB' is most likely measured using 1,000 MB  per gigabyte, while computers really use 1024 MB per gigabyte.  That'll result in at least 192 MB missing. 

Yes, the OS is on a partition not normally accessable.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Master

Nope, only the SD card shows up as removable storage on these phones. You have to use Media Sync to access the phone storage with a computer.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you all for the responses. This all makes sense. I was avoiding the "sync" thing...is it good? I like the freedom of just slapping it to the computer as a drive (I rarely enjoyed my brief time using an iphone and its corresponding sync system), but is the concensus that it is worth it to use the sync feature?

Highlighted
Master

wingland wrote:

When you connect it to your PC you should get two USB Removable Drives - one for internal and one for the SD card.  That's how my Photon works anyway. 

Drive GB measurements are funky at best.  the '8GB' is most likely measured using 1,000 MB  per gigabyte, while computers really use 1024 MB per gigabyte.  That'll result in at least 192 MB missing. 

Yes, the OS is on a partition not normally accessable.

Most phones now utilize the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) instead of standard USB Mass Storage mode so the internal partition is still accessible while the phone is powered on, so pretty much all new phones are going to work this way.

The GB measurements are done this way pretty much uniformly across the storage industry. Your computer operates exactly the same. An 80GB drive will only have 74GB available, a 250GB will only have 232GB available, etc.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat