cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

I got tired of waiting for Sprint and HTC to acknowlege that the new EVO 4G LTE has signal strength issues (particularly in maintaining 3G reception), so I alerted several media sites about the situation. So far PC World has responded and followed up with Sprint on our behalf. I am hoping that negative publicity will force Sprint to do something instead of claiming ignorance. This is no way to react to customer concerns.

My personal situation involves both me and my wife's EVO LTEs experiencing 100% less signal strength (and sporadic 3G reception) than the original EVO 4G I upgraded from. The various Best Buy and Sprint Corporate retail store reps I spoke with never even heard of signal issues and merely suggested to seek a refund or exchange for another product. Our devices were factory reset and reactivated; updated to the latest PRLs; and configured to CDMA networks only, but nothing has helped. Sprint and HTC need to issue a resolution quickly before customers start seeking refunds within their return policy periods.

Please respond to this thread and let Sprint know that the HTC EVO 4G LTE has signal reception issues they need to address immediately.

Some news coverage links since this forum thread was started:

230 REPLIES 230
Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Houston where supposedly it's suppose to be one of the first to launch the LTE and I have no 4G reception whatsoever. I updated my PRL and Profile and it has done nothing. I in downtown Houston and hoped it would be active in this area, but it seems to be the same as the other areas of town I tried; non-existent. This is an open letter to any knowledgeable Sprint employee - could you please let us know EXACTLY when will we be able to get LTE reception here in Houston? I just want to know; that's all I'm asking, I'm not demanding LTE service, I just want to know when to be expecting it, thanks.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

have been wanting to head to your area for a while now. im north of sac by about a hour..ish

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Here we go again. Another new phone and more cases of erratic performance experiences from users. Some have no problems, while others do.

Sounds like the iPhone 4S mess all over again.

If you had an EVO 4G and switched/upgraded to the new EVO 4G LTE with drastically different performane issues in the same locations on the same network, that's messed up.

Sprint - What is with the variations of hardware performance on some areas of your network? Software install related... something gets borked? Or is there just a certain percentage of new phones that have hardware issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had no qualms at all about buying an LTE phone on a network that had no LTE. My previous phone was the EVO 4G and I left the 4G disabled for the entire two years that I had it. Coverage was spotty, it absolutely killed battery life, and the 3G performance was good enough that I could live without it. So when I upgraded to the 4G LTE I did so assuming that thew 3G coverage would at least be comparable to my old phone. Looks like I was wrong. In locations where I previously had excellent 3G performance it is now horrible to the point of being unusable. I have also had this phone in Philadelphia, Chicago, Nashville, and Raleigh, NC and in every single one of those locations the 3G performance was just as bad.

I have spoken to three different Sprint representatives, had the phone reprovisioned multiple times, updated the profile and PRL at least 20 times, tried modifying every setting on the phone and nothing has made any difference at all. Every representative has a different story about why it is slow (tower issues in my area, network upgrades causing widespread data issues, etc.) but they are all pretty much guessing. Oh, and every time I spoke to a Sprint rep the first suggestion was to remove the battery from the phone. One of them even argued with me and told me that the iPhone was the only device that Sprint offered that has a sealed battery.

I'm going to hang on to the phone for a little while longer and hope that a software update will correct the issues, but if it doesn't then it will be returned and replaced with the new Galaxy S III.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BurntFig wrote:

I'm going to hang on to the phone for a little while longer and hope that a software update will correct the issues, but if it doesn't then it will be returned and replaced with the new Galaxy S III.

Will you still be in the 14 day return window?

Highlighted
Wizard

It's very disappointing to see this.  With all the problems we had with the SGS2 and the Galaxy Nexus I assumed crap signal issues were the province of Samsung devices since the used EVOs work great.  Unless the SGS3 pulls off a miracle perhaps we'll need to wait until the iPhone 5 LTE comes out in Oct.  Very frustrating since I really prefer Android and HTC Sense.  I hope you guys get a software fix ASAP or at the very least a replacement that works. 

However, if it's not fixed by day 13 I'd return it.  Don't wait while hoping for a solution.  Hope is not a strategy.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Panzer06 wrote:

It's very disappointing to see this.  With all the problems we had with the SGS2 and the Galaxy Nexus I assumed **** signal issues were the province of Samsung devices since the used EVOs work great.  Unless the SGS3 pulls off a miracle perhaps we'll need to wait until the iPhone 5 LTE comes out in Oct.  Very frustrating since I really prefer Android and HTC Sense.  I hope you guys get a software fix ASAP or at the very least a replacement that works. 

However, if it's not fixed by day 13 I'd return it.  Don't wait while hoping for a solution.  Hope is not a strategy.

Cheers,

Well you know what they say about when you assume something....

Highlighted
Journeyman

My experience has been very good so far with the EVO LTE.  Better speeds and reception overall.  Pandora doesn't take as long to buffer, better speed tests...

I realize that some people may be having issues (ugh, been there) but for me the EVO LTE has been very good. 

Highlighted
Wizard

SIG-ARM,

Sprint is investigating this report and will provide information as it becomes available.  I will follow up with you in a private message to get more info on the problem you're experiencing. 

Thanks!

Update 6/13:

So, I followed up on this and was told there were problems with the network towers in the vicinity of the addresses SIG-ARM provided. If you continue to have problems, I would take the device into a Service & Repair center for diagnostic testing.

I also inquired about the reports in other media outlets regarding the device's housing or device cases being the culprit and was told there is no indication of that.  And lastly, here's a statement provided by Sprint's communication group:

Over the past few days, Sprint conducted extensive network testing on HTC EVO 4G LTE in response to a very small number of customer concerns that were brought to our attention regarding the device’s signal strength.  We are confident the device fully meets our specifications, and it is comparable with other existing devices in our portfolio.  Our testing did not find any abnormal behaviors in the manner the device acquires and maintains its signal strength.  We will continue to monitor customer inquiries to ensure the best customer experience.

Highlighted
Master

Be sure to post updates and the final outcome as it can benefit other users experiencing similar problems. It's nice that John Doe got his problem fixed, but what about Jane Smith who's experiending the same problem? If you post the the progress and the outcome, it will help everyone by giving them information to pass along when they call Sprint.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Imall the way over here in South Jersey and i am not having any issues with my Evo 4g LTE I look at this site all day to see the good bad and downright ugly posts about this phone. i have nothing but praise for it. i am currently on a battery charge for 1day 2hrs 4mins 48secs and still got 31% left. i sympathize with alot of the posts i read but some of them are just plain out rediculous. Again im on day 5 of my phone and no coplaints about 3g battery camera screen wifi email etc...etc... my wife has OGEVO and my phone is alot faster than hers.  The only reason i havent upgraded hers is bcause of the SG3 coming out im gonna get that and see what 1is better then i can switch....LOL. She could care less what she has as long as it is better than b4

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

SIG-ARM,

Sprint is investigating this report and will provide information as it becomes available.  I will follow up with you in a private message to get more info on the problem you're experiencing. 

Thanks!

So now we pick and choose which customers get help?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat