Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

alk1122 wrote:

smotrs wrote:

dshoem01 wrote:

Update 6/13:

So, I followed up on this and was told there were problems with the network towers in the vicinity of the addresses SIG-ARM provided. If you continue to have problems, I would take the device into a Service & Repair center for diagnostic testing.

I also inquired about the reports in other media outlets regarding the device's housing or device cases being the culprit and was told there is no indication of that.  And lastly, here's a statement provided by Sprint's communication group:

Over the past few days, Sprint conducted extensive network testing on HTC EVO 4G LTE in response to a very small number of customer concerns that were brought to our attention regarding the device’s signal strength.  We are confident the device fully meets our specifications, and it is comparable with other existing devices in our portfolio.  Our testing did not find any abnormal behaviors in the manner the device acquires and maintains its signal strength.  We will continue to monitor customer inquiries to ensure the best customer experience.

For those of you who may have missed it, dshoem posted the above update to his earlier post.

Hate to say it, but if that's the case, then the alternative is that Sprint's network is fubar'd for all these users reporting the similar problems. Which doesn't bode well for the network.

Well there you have it.  According to Sprint there is absolutely nothing wrong with the phone.  What ever level of service you currently get with the phone is considered "normal" to Sprints standards.  I guess its time to either return it, accept it, or tolerate it.

If there is nothing wrong with the phone then I wouldnt be expecting any fixes in the future.

If that's the Attitude they are taking then I'll vote with my wallet and wave Bye Bye to them.  As much as I like my phone I like being able to talk and do things on it. To say that this is FUBAR is an understatement. Thankfully i have a GSM Gnex on Tmo for 30.00/month that will do service will for another 2 years until LTE is fully developed.  Otherwise WIFI and HSPA+ will suffice.

Highlighted
Wizard

I was wondering about that too.  Since there are so many variables between devices, apps, OS, etc., that it would be difficult to have an apples to apples comparision, I might ask if there's a way someone here at Sprint can look into that. 

P.S. I'll put a profile pic up one of these days so everyone knows I'm not a 'he':). 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agreed with you kinolau, In my case I travel through the northeast to many areas and the signal with my new EVO 4G LTE is the same as it was with my old EVO. Many, many people have gotten the same phone under our corporate accounts and I have not heard of any signal complaints and by now we would have been aware of any issues. I don't want discredit the people that may have a legitimate issue. And I pray that does with issues would get resolved as soon as possible.

But signals over the air fluctuate all the time depending on your location environment conditions etc.... just like the car radio signal fluctuate which we all know it happens. Is the same with cell phone technology.

I know people from Verizon, AT&T etc and guess what, sometimes they lose signal too even with their so called "largest coverage"

while I still have signal with Sprint. They also claim they hate this and that about the other company services.

I don't consider myself or the many others I spoke of as "lucky people" because we don't experience this signal issues. But what I'm trying to say is that if you are concern about this then take it with a grain of salt, remember and recognize the cell phone technology for what it is. To download an app and see a fluctuation in your signal that maybe normal is no reason to run for the hills and panic.

Test your signal in different places in the house, your block, your town etc.. Maybe there is an issue with you nearest tower, something you’re not aware of. May be something nearby is interfering with your signal. Take a drive and park in different areas and see if you can place a call and see if you still have signal issues. Just don't assume anything, it may not be your device after all. Just because some people feel they have an issue does no mean necessarily you have the same issue.

I remember the time where the Iphone supposely had an antena issue and again the many people under our corporate had no complaints related to that issue. And again luck has nothing to do with anything. We just have other annoying issues like some apps people install make other functions not to work, spyware issues, cracked screens and our favorite "i don't know how it happend but.."

Highlighted
Journeyman

This fixed the issue!!..  Same proxy fix that I used on the EVO 4G and EVO 3D... Acts like my old EVO 3D now. NICE!!  It's Sprints proxy service that's the problem.

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/06/dont-forget-to-change-your-proxy-settings-for-faster-data-on-your...

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

Over the past few days, Sprint conducted extensive network testing on HTC EVO 4G LTE in response to a very small number of customer concerns that were brought to our attention regarding the device’s signal strength.  We are confident the device fully meets our specifications, and it is comparable with other existing devices in our portfolio.  Our testing did not find any abnormal behaviors in the manner the device acquires and maintains its signal strength.  We will continue to monitor customer inquiries to ensure the best customer experience.

You're telling me that Sprint's entire cellular/3G network in the Washington DC/Baltimore metro area is to blame, and the fact that my OG Evo continues not to have the same reception issues shouldn't be taken into consideration? What about the PCWorld/Tech Hive article where their comparison testing showed that the EVO 4G LTE experienced ~20-35% weaker signal strength than the OG Evo (http://www.techhive.com/article/2000138/htc-evo-4g-lte-signal-woes-confirmed.html)? Regardless, if the bigger issue is the network instead of the device itself, this is even more reason to leave Sprint.

Before I had my wife join a new Sprint family plan contract with me, she was an out-of-contract/month-to-month Verizon customer. Does anyone know if when we return our phones to Best Buy, and cancel our Sprint contract within the 14-day window, will they port her number back to Verizon? Will she still be able to keep the month-to-month/unlimited data plan she had before?

Highlighted
Journeyman

SIG-ARM wrote:

Before I had my wife join a new Sprint family plan contract with me, she was an out-of-contract/month-to-month Verizon customer. Does anyone know if when we return our phones to Best Buy, and cancel our Sprint contract within the 14-day window, will they port her number back to Verizon? Will she still be able to keep the month-to-month/unlimited data plan she had before?

Dont think so.  She left Verizon.  So if she returns she will be a new customer.  And isnt Verizon doing away with the unlimited anyways?  This icludes grandfathered customers.

Atleast you are still within your 14 days and can cancel your service however its technically 13 days since it includes the day you first started your service.  This is probably one of those situations when "the grass is not greener on the other side."  Not sure why you would expect Sprint to have the same level of service is Verizon.  Verizon also will be the same price as Sprint for 2 lines if the 4GB shared plan is acceptable for your situation.  If not you either have to pony up more money for better service or go with prepaid.  I am leaning towards the prepaid option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, Verizon is discontinuing unltd data, but I was hoping she would still be grandfathered in if she didn't have to sign up as a new customer. I had her join a new Sprint family plan with me because in the last 5 years I've never had issues with coverage or devices until now. I liked that Sprint still offers unlimited data, not to mention the 18% corporate discount I get off of service.

So in order not to lose my wife's phone number, should I have her sign up with another carrier/retailer first before returning the device to Best Buy?

Highlighted
Wizard

Yes, you must port numbers while the account is active.  Also, T-Mobile let's you back in with in 10 days of leaving with your original plan.  See if she can get Verizon to do the same. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

SIG-ARM wrote:

Yes, Verizon is discontinuing unltd data, but I was hoping she would still be grandfathered in if she didn't have to sign up as a new customer. I had her join a new Sprint family plan with me because in the last 5 years I've never had issues with coverage or devices until now. I liked that Sprint still offers unlimited data, not to mention the 18% corporate discount I get off of service.

So in order not to lose my wife's phone number, should I have her sign up with another carrier/retailer first before returning the device to Best Buy?

You will need to do as Panzer has said.  Your Sprint account needs to be active to port out the number and you must have a device on it to keep it active.  You can port the number to google voice.  Or port it back to Verizon and then return the Sprint device.  Or if you have an old Sprint device or buy a cheap flipphone online then you can activate that device on the account and return the Evo.

Also what I meant was that Verizon ofcourse discontinued the unlimited.  But they are also discontinuing the the grandfathered unlimited.  So I'm not sure if they will give you the grandfathered unlimited since they are doing away with that

Highlighted
Master

As I recall, even the grandfatherd unlimited users will be changed over whne they get a new phone. The exception is if you buy the phone outright for the $599, $649, $700 full price. Any phones acquired by the upgrade program will have to go to the new Data plans.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57450773-94/hoping-to-keep-your-verizon-unlimited-plan-heres-how/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228077/Verizon_defends_new_shared_data_plans?taxonomyId=79

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to laugh at Sprint's new 4G LTE announcements. I've been walking around with a regular 4G phone for a year and I have yet to locate a 4G signal in this town. (Phoenix!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have a new Evo LTE and I have no service everywhere I go. The 3G barely works. Bestbuy said they were having issues with all the evos and told me to wait for the GS3 and switch carriers for better service.

My friend has already returned 3 evos and still having issues. The multitasking issues are a whole other story too. I think Sprint and HTC rushed this phone too fast. There is still no LTE, so why the rush?

I am in Boston 02125 where everyone normally gets 4-5 bars on AT&T and Verizon. I am usually on 2-3 bars on my old Evo, and 0-1 bars or roaming on the new Evo LTE.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat