cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

I got tired of waiting for Sprint and HTC to acknowlege that the new EVO 4G LTE has signal strength issues (particularly in maintaining 3G reception), so I alerted several media sites about the situation. So far PC World has responded and followed up with Sprint on our behalf. I am hoping that negative publicity will force Sprint to do something instead of claiming ignorance. This is no way to react to customer concerns.

My personal situation involves both me and my wife's EVO LTEs experiencing 100% less signal strength (and sporadic 3G reception) than the original EVO 4G I upgraded from. The various Best Buy and Sprint Corporate retail store reps I spoke with never even heard of signal issues and merely suggested to seek a refund or exchange for another product. Our devices were factory reset and reactivated; updated to the latest PRLs; and configured to CDMA networks only, but nothing has helped. Sprint and HTC need to issue a resolution quickly before customers start seeking refunds within their return policy periods.

Please respond to this thread and let Sprint know that the HTC EVO 4G LTE has signal reception issues they need to address immediately.

Some news coverage links since this forum thread was started:

230 REPLIES 230
Highlighted
Journeyman

I get terrible 3G EVERYWHERE. I work two blocks from a tower, a tower I've switched to many times, and NOTHING. I can get on facebook *sometimes* but as far as streaming music or movies? Don't make me laugh. I've done all the profile updates and power cycling and PLR updates, and nothing. I even did the so-called signal fix, and again: don't make me laugh. In fact, I was in Best Buy on Thursday, and had full bars, and still couldn't get past the "loading" screens on youtube and netflix. I can't stream anything at all. AT ALL. ANYWHERE. And it's been like this since I got the phone two weeks ago. With respect to njtech and others like him, I'm glad you guys don't have those issues. I really am.

All due respect, once again, but you come across like a cellular company employee. You speak from a "let them eat cake" perspective, assuming that because you don't have those issues, nobody else really does either.... but we DO. The iPhone antannae issue DID exist. That was legit. That was never denied by Apple themselves; so please, spare us the insults of words like "supposedly". In fact, you sound a lot like Apple, basically boiling this down to "well, it's not perfect".

When you pay your hard earned money for a product whose primary function doesn't work, it's an issue. Period. This isn't due to me downloading an app that made things go haywire. This isn't just "oh well" levels of failure. There's no reason to have this phone if those abilities do not work. I may as well have the Conquer. I'll be switching to the S3, provided it actually makes it to the market in time to do so, however the 3G on the EVO$G  LTE DOES NOT WORK FOR MANY PEOPLE. Period. Those are the cold, hard facts. FACTS. Not assumptions. The FACT is that I've spent long hours on many days running through all the little "fixes" that are suggested here and other places, and guess what? The truth is, a product shouldn't require all that effort to do what it's supposed to do out the box. That's the truth.

Again, I'm glad for everyone who has a product that works for them the way they want it to, but please, spare the condescending comments like this because many of us aren't simply looking for something to complain about on a message board; we actually just want the product to work like it's supposed to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Losing the 3G network on my new evo lte.  Never had the problem with my old EVO 4G.  That's all over the downtown and city of Seattle area.  If I'm not connected to WIFI, the 3G connection is going up and down.  The 3G symbol usually disappears, then I have to toggle the mobile network off and on.  Pretty frustrating.  You know, I'm expecting the LTE network to be a complete battery hog and to be connected to the 3G network most of the time, just like I did with the EVO 4G.  I hardly ever used the 4G network.  First, it hardly ever works and second, I need the phone to last more than 4 hours on a charge.  So, assuming correctly that the LTE network will be unusable for the very same reasons, the 3G network being unusable is a real problem.  A REAL PROBLEM. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I had to go to a Sprint store yesterday because my EVO LTE couldn't connect to my 3G service. The Sprint technician said he's seen this problem before of reception/antenna issues with the new Evos. He eventually had to exchange it and gave me a new phone even though I was passed my 14 days. HTC needs to address this issue immediately, hopefully with some sort of patch or update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did a new phone help you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also seeing these same issues. Whenever i'm in a low signal area my EVO LTE has severe trouble connecting to 3G period. Not to mention it becomes very HOT only in those low signal areas. I would just like to determine if this is a hardware issue with my phone or if a software update pushed by Sprint/HTC will fix it! Where I work, I used to get 2 maybe 3 bars on my Epic Touch 4G, but now on my EVO LTE I roam or get 1 bar... I really hope this isn't a hardware issue and they are working on a software fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well today things appear to be improving.  So far anyway.  Mine had gotten pretty bad on both data speed (25k or so) and disconnects from data.  So far today, not a single disconnect problem and data speed up to 300k average for several tests.  Not great but usable and much better.

I did nothing to change the phone and its set for LTE/CDMA mode in hopes that 4G shows up in Houston soon.  There were rumors of LTE going live today 6/18 but not seen it yet.  Nice to see 3G CAN work.  Perhaps the troubles were on the Sprint side with the disconnects etc......

Just one more data point in this confusing game we play.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to post so that it was logged.

But I got two Evo LTEs on launch day. I am not new to smarphones or sprint so I have a very clear idea of what to expect from a product. Both my GFs phone and mine had the same exact issues. Signal would go from 3G to Roam for 30 seconds and come back. While one phone did this the other would be fine (this is while I am at home and I know what service I should get at home). Streaming of Pandora (or any similar service) would result in a total data drop (similar to the Samsung Moment) which would result in a reboot to fix. I would try to make a call and it would not go through, a reboot or on/off of airplane mode would resolve. I did all the PRL updates and did a data reset with technical support) which resulted in a factory reset being needed to get data back.

These phones are flawed, and it is a shame because these were some of the nicer phones I have ever held in my hands. But both units were returned and I ensured I got back my activation fees and faced no restocking fees. I also have a buddy that I urged to get the Evo LTE. He contacted me complaining of the same issues without me giving him any prior knowledge.

These phones have an issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on my 15th day after I upgraded, I finally went to a Sprint store after I couldn't contact Sprint yesterday with their systems being down & inability to access my account.

Confirmed my EVO LTE has a bad modem & that was the cause of my poor signal and connectivity issues.  Awesome.  So now I am one day outside of the return period and have to figure out how to get a replacement phone.

I'm glad it's confirmed I am not crazy and being fussy, as my speeds and reception were unacceptable.  Technician at the Sprint store basically said I have a "bad phone" and I was the first person with an EVO LTE to bring one to his store with a problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Logging my complaint like the rest of the folks here. 

I too am also experiencing the same problem as everyone else on this forum but Sprint continues to deny there are any issues.  I have made multiple calls to Sprint and have gone to 1 service center so far.  i will go to a different service center tomorrow.  I originally had the original Sprint EVO 4, then EVO 3D, now the EVO 4G LTE.  My phone now roams at home unlike my previous 2 phones.  My text messages continually come in hours late and have no service.  I do have an air rave at home but that doesn't appear to help the situation.  Would love to have a working phone as I'm beyond 14 days at this time.

I continue to hear about the network changes, the PRL updates, reboot the phone.  I've also been told to do a battery pull by technical support.....would love to see how they do that.

Sprint, please help. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

And this about sums it up....Feel me!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPka-6fexek

Highlighted
Master

Although you can't physically remove the battery, you can do a SimPull by holding the power button for 10+ seconds.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Complaint logged here. Don't bother with customer service, don't bother with PRL updates. Return the phone or cancel your contract. It's not going to get better, did this before with T-Mobile. Companies going through these problems will have you chasing your tail in various ways to get you to give up.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat