cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An awful product

Journeyman

An awful product

I have had two of these phones. The first one started to restart itself several times a day. I took it to a Sprint store and they wiped the phone and reinstalled the software. The problem continued. I received a new device and it restarted itself before I made it halfway home. I returned to the store and they wiped the second phone. The issue continued. I called HTC and they offered the same solution. The bluetooth will not connect to my Bose Soundlink either. The bottom line is that I don't feel I should have to know this much about a phone. The phone should connect to a bluetooth device. The phone shouldn't restart itself several times a day. The phone drops at least 50% of the calls. Simply stated the phone is a defective product. Sprint can't fix it and HTC either can't or won't. It really doesn't matter. The point is that I will not buy another HTC product. The forums are filled with complaints about this product. So I will vote with my dollar which will not find its way into HTC's pockets again.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: An awful product

Try looking at your task manager, what are you doing to make it restart? is there any pattern? There is no way to make it restart out of nowhere...Your phone should connect to a bluetooth device; if done correctly. I found that I had to select my phone to be discoverable. With all the construction in Colorado in the past 3 months, I have had maybe 1 dropped call. Perhaps a faulty antenna? Try updateing your PRL when you can if you go long distances. Ive had an Evo3D, EvoLTE and HTC One. All being fine IMO

Journeyman

I wish there was a pattern, but no such luck. I might consider that its something I'm doing but this has occurred with two phones of the same model. It occurs when I'm texting, when I'm on a call, when I've left the phone in my car. It just simply restarts and gives me the same message, "This phone just recovered from an abnormal reset" then it asks to send a report to HTC. As far as the bluetooth goes, I had it set to be discoverable and set my Bose speaker to be discoverable. I wiped the memory in the Bose and for my phone (removed the devices it had connected to earlier) but no such luck. I've updated the PRL as well. I liked my first EVO except for the battery life and the current 4G LTE was way cool until March. Then.....

Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose my real frustration is that I just think the phone should work. I shouldn't have to learn how to do all the things the repair facility does. I live in California which may explain the dropped call phenomena. Too many small hills and LOTS of people. Take care.

Journeyman

Ah, possibly have you done the latest software update? And curious when you did a reset, did you do it within the phone or did you have the phone turned off and hold power and volume down at the same time? Make

Master

Question. Has this happened on a bare bones phone? Meaning, a phone that you haven't installed your software, contacts, accounts, etc..? I've seen all sorts of weirdness happen when you get a corrupt contacts database installed, a bad install of a program, or even problems with the PRL and Config.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Personally I think HTC just manufactured a bad phone either with hardware or software problems. I will now be getting a fourth EVO LTE phone which I have to pick of today at my local Sprint store, my last phone couldn't connect to 3G despite the tech guy installing an antenna and the phone still didn't work properly. I think I'm pretty much done with HTC products. Sprint is not off the hook either, there's 4G 2 miles from me but not at my apartment or where I work.  I'm going to let my contract expire and look at Verizon.

Journeyman

I am on my fourth EVO 4G LTE since February 28th 2013.  The last one just died and would not come back on.  I called Sprint and took it to a repair center and the phone didnt work for them either.  So they ordered a new one for me.  I wrote to HTC and they said it was most likely just the micro SD.  So have it checked out then buy a new micro SD card and have them swap the info., then use that card.

Journeyman

Just glancing around the "community" I see many people that have issues with this phone. As I said this is my second phone and it restarted itself within an hour of picking it up from the Sprint store. So no apps were loaded yet. It's an odd question anyway. What's the point of a smart phone if you can't load any apps because the phone can't deal with it? A defective product is a defective product and all the companies in the products chain of distribution are responsible. I realize Sprint didn't manufacture the phone, but they sold it and they should stand by it. More to the point they should stand by their customer. They have leverage with Sprint, we as individuals don't. I'll just wait until I can upgrade and go to an I-Phone. Another carrier is an option as well. I was not pleased at being told I had to spend $100 to advance my upgrade date. That's not customer service. It's telling the customer that Sprint doesn't care as long as they get money. No customer should have to know this much about a product. I encourage everyone to vote with your dollar.

I can definitely see why you'd be frustrated by all of this, I'd be peeved. I made the decision to ditch HTC, too. I'm sticking with Sprint, but I'm planning to move to Samsung or Apple. I didn't like iOS when it debuted, but after having my iPad with iOS 6 on it, I'd definitely consider an iPhone now. But, I'd want one with a screen as good or better than the one on my LTEVO. And the same size. I can't go back to a smaller screen size now. Just the difference in ease of use coming to the LTEVO from a Design 4G is too much for me to go back to a smaller screen. Not to mention picture quality. iPhone 6 is due next year, hopefully about the same time I'm due for my next upgrade and extension.

Master

Keep in mind, no phone is perfect. I have a couple friends and my dad as well who just switched from Sammy to HTC because of the various problems on their phone.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.

Trust me, I know all about unperfectness (just made that word up) and gadgets. I'm a tech geek, after all. And given all the things these little machines can do, there's bound to be some problems somewhere. Honestly, I think we're spoiled. I mean, think back 20 years ago when a cell phone was as big as a shoe, and had crappy service, and was hella expensive. And before that, if you wanted to make a call from anywhere but home, you had to use a payphone. Now, we demand that they are as small as possible with a huge screen, and can do all the little things we can dream up, while doing everything that the manufacturers promise. That part, I blame them for. Some of them do oversell these things, and use gimmicks to garner hype. But, that's my opinion. Sorry to rant.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat