cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any word on 4.3 update for the EVO 4G LTE ??

Master

Re: Any word on 4.3 update for the EVO 4G LTE ??

69CanuckRide,

Thank you for your post. Have you gone into your setting to see if there are any updates available?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Yes Victor.  I have gone into settings to check for updates.  Is is possible that the phone updated automatically?  I have it set to "Go on line and check for updates according to schedule from server" but I understood that to update to Android 4.3 one had to do so manually.  I've searched the web and the HTC site but, although they have released Android 4.3 and AT&T has it it appears that Sprint hasn't signed off on it on the Sprint Network yet since it's still listed as being in the "integration" phase.

http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates/

Please let me know what you can about when to expect Android 4.3 to be released for my Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thanks in advance for your help

Master

69CanuckRide,

At this time there is no word on when this update will be released for your device. When the update does become available it will be pushed directly to your device. Please keep in mind that updates are released in waves to help avoid capacity issues with the download. For any upcoming news on when it may be released, please visit: www.Sprint.com/Newsroom

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Actually, the update for the EVO was released in early March, but it had to be sideloaded.  Seems to work okay.  Only had one crash, and that yesterday, likely due to trying to get a SDR stick working with it...

Journeyman

The Evo LTE update was sent out to be sideloaded.. contact HTC support and you may get the link..sprint care was incorrect there will be no OTA for this update. It will not be pushed to the device . The current partition in the EVO LTE does not allow for the OTA due to size constraints.

Journeyman

The now-famous Heartbleed Bug only affects Android 4.1.1, and that's the version that my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE has.  Millions of Android Devices Vulnerable to Heartbleed Bug - Bloomberg

Journeyman

except that the reason why HTC released the update as a manual download and update via cable is that the required update is too big for the memory on the EVO 4g LTE, so no, according to HTC this update will NOT be pushed directly to the device.

Wizard

that's incorrect - it's because the partition tables for the device have to be updated to take the update which cannot be easily done over an OTA (if at all), so it would wipe all data off phone to layout how the partitions would be arranged after the update.

so yes, the size of the memory partition has to be increased for the operating system, but yes, the EVO has enough memory to take the update and still leave plenty of room left over for app installations etc.

I installed the 4.3 build on my EVO 4G LTE in Feb and it was a much better experience than 4.1 - too bad sprints networked is terrible.

Journeyman

Indeed, with the change of partition tables, the 4.3 version actually allows MORE room for installing apps.  Running 4.1.1, I was often confronted with that dreaded "insufficient memory" error, but I have yet to see it with the 4.3 version, and I've installed as many, if not more (and larger) apps than I had before... including GTA: Vice City (a whopping 1.4 GB!)

Master

Unfortunately, the only way to get the 4.3 right now is through XDA. HTC doesn't show any information on it anymore on their software update roadmap site.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

smotrs:

As of right now, no further updates are announced for the HTC Evo 4G LTE. Should one be announced it will be done so on the HTC Evo 4G LTE forum or in the HTC forum.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Master

Sorry Jon, your replying to the wrong person. A person earlier in the thread was asking the question.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat