Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Sync Question

Highlighted
Journeyman

Auto-Sync Question

Does anyone know how to change (or even find out) how often each account (mail and facebook) syncs?  When you go into the Accounts and Sync area in settings and select Stocks or Weather there is an update schedule that you can change.  But I have looked everywhere and I can't find where I can set how often my Gmail accounts and Facebook update.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Master

You don’t see any setting to change the sync frequency on Accounts and Sync menu. In order to find an option to change sync settings, you have to set up your email under Mail icon on your device. You have to go to Mail-Gmail-Menu-More- Settings-Send & Receive- Set download Frequency-Frequency- set time to sync.

Hope this helps

Abe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the reply.  I followed your steps and by setting up my Gmail accounts through the Mail icon I can see where to setup how often my email is checked.  It's just weird that the Gmail app doesn't have that built in or that the Auto-sync section of settings doesn't allow for it.  Seems like a common sense place to setup how often different apps would sync like it does for Stocks and Weather.  Also, can't find a place to see how often Facebook gets updated.  Any idea about that?

Thanks again for the help.

Highlighted
Master

Gmail runs more like an exchange server in the Android OS.  We're not sure of the specifics, but Gmail is more of a "push" technology.  The email app is only a "pull" technology meaning it has to go to the internet, login with your credentials and check for updates.  With the Gmail app, your updates are instant and only dependant on network coverage and speed.  This could be why there isn't a download frequency in the Gmail app because the phone is not actually checking for changes, Google is instantly sending them.  It's the same with contacts, it doesn't wait for the next send/receive interval, it uploads or downloads immediately. 

Tom

Highlighted
Master

I would suggest you to download Facebook app and try these settings.Open the facebook app, press Back to get off the News Feed page and onto the screen with all the icons, then press Menu, press Settings and change the Refresh Interval.

Let me know

Abe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  The response regarding using The Gmail app vs the Mail app makes perfect sense.  And I was able to find the Facebook refresh interval option in the settings.  Thanks again!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat