cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Dead after only 3 months?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Camera Dead after only 3 months?

I got my EVO 4G LTE on June 7th.  I loved the phone immediately and didn't regret a minute of upgrading my orginal EVO for it.  However, last Friday (9/7), exactly 3 months to the day from purchasing it my camera stopped working.  When I click to open it from either the app key or the button it comes to a black screen (picture attached).  With the exception of the flash indicator, everything shows up on the screen, however even though I can press the items (they turn green for that split second), nothing works. The menu's don't pop up, no shutter sound, can't change focus distance. NOTHING! It's as if the camera is trying to initialize but can't.  In fact the gallery in the lower left corner even shows an icon, not my last picture.  After about 4-5 minutes of leaving the screen open all the sudden the flash indicator pops up and the gallery as well.  At that point I can navigate the menus, turn the flash on or off, even change to the front camera (which does work).  However, the screen is still black and if I hit the hard or soft keys to take a picture it all starts over again.  Navigating this forum, and several others, I see that I am not unique to the situation.  However, many of them have had success getting it to work again by a number of methods including as trivial as leaving it for a day and it miraculously starts working again, to power cycling, or as major as a full factory reset.  Well I've tried them all, and everything in between (including taking the back cover off and gently pressing the lens to see if it popped out of seat) and I'm back to square one.  Now for the fourth time in 5 days I am back to a wiped phone that I have to restore all of my apps and data to once again.  Has anyone found any other solutions?  HTC says I have to go to the Sprint store.  Sprint says it'll cost me $35 to look at and if a replacement is needed I'll have to pay another $50.  This is crazy!  I take care of my phone and treat it very gently.  It's never been dropped, slammed, etc.  I don't even put it in a pocket (as my original EVO had a problem from doing so).  For the price of it, and how much they advertise the camera, I think it should last longer than a few months!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

When you do a Hard Reset, it works again?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope.  That picture you see is this afternoon after my 2nd full reset.  This time I completely wiped all partitions and reformatted as well.  Once it died it never came back for even a split second.  First I did multiple power cycles and even left the phone off completely overnight.  Next I did a Data reset (in case it was an app or something I loaded that caused a corrupt file).  When that still didn't work after a day I did a hardboot with factory restore.  Again after a couple of days I broke down today and completely wiped everything and reformatted.  I even checked the camera before loading the profile from Google to again make sure it wasn't something in my files that I backed up.  What you see is where it still stands.  As someone who repairs PC's, I think I am fluent in hardware more than the average person, and it seems to me this is a critical hardware failure.  However, I don't think I should be responsible to pay for something that is an obvious factory defect and is only a few months old.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its covered for a year warranty by HTC..take it in to a repair store.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

Yeah, I would head to a Sprint store and have them look at it. It's covered by the manufacturers warranty for a year as Fireguy mentioned.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, thanks guys.  That was was figured.  The problem is Sprint wants $35 to "diagnose" it since I don't have insurance, but I don't think I should have to pay anything since it's under warranty. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

this is what the TEP is used for..without it yes..you have to pay for them to look at the phone..i cant look at a cutomers equipment in my line of work without charging them either..this is nothing new. you MIGHT however be able to get them to bypass that charge though..call HTC themselves if needs be.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat