cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

Journeyman

Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

I don't know if it's just me, but my new (less than two months old) EVO 4G LTE doesn't seem to like charging from the computer.  The cable is not an issue, since it's the one that came with my Blackberry Style (my previous phone) and charged that with no problem for the last two years.  Indeed, it has larger diameter than the one that came with the EVO (which is the one plugged into the wall in my bedroom).

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  The cable is plugged directly into the computer, not a hub.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

ADMIRIALSIRJOHN,

Thanks for reaching out. It has been my experience that the wall charger is the fastest way to charge your device, especially if you are not using the stock charger. When I plug my device into my computer I don’t get a good charge at all and that’s with the stock USB cord. This has something to do with the fact the computer is not a good direct power source. The computer is using most of its power to function as a computer. Charging a cell phone rapidly takes a lot more power. I Would always recommend charging from the wall and using the stock charger.

Regards,

Duane

Sprint Social Care

GrandMaster

Re: Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

basically instead of being a straight direct current going directly to your phone that power is being shared with the computer itself..might as well figure that half the current coming through your computer is only making it to the phone..same deal with charging in your vehicle...it will charge but no where near as quickly as being plugged into your wall

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks for the quick reply.

For some strange reason, it seems to be hit and miss, so far as charging times.  Seems to be charging faster today than it has been...

GrandMaster

while connected to the computer? odds are youre not using it near as much as you were prior to this lol..or you might not have as many tasks running at once as you did before...the computer will draw the most power because of priorities..itself before anything else connected to it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Re: Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y   s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm thinking.  It does seem to charge somewhat faster if I turn the screen off.

GrandMaster

Re: Charges fairly quickly when plugged into wall, but v e r y   s l o w l y when plugged into comptuer.

personally i have found that my laptop lasts much longer if i DONT use it to charge my phone as well lol. unless im out and about and have no access to an outlet then yah..

Journeyman

Well, I don't charge from a laptop.  This is my desktop computer we're talking about.

GrandMaster

same scenario. if you look on most wall chargers it will show the voltage output..the computer whether it be a laptop or a desktop will never come anywhere near that output.

Wizard

fireguy_6364,

Yes, that is true. Furthermore, you will get a more rapid charge from a charging cable that is directly connected to the power plug rather than a cable with a usb end that plugs into a separate wall adapter.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

GrandMaster

Oddly enough I have always had quicker charges through the usb type set up. Then again I have 3 of the oem cables for the original EVO. quickest charging cable I have came across over the years.

Journeyman

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just wanted to note that, while it's not mentioned in the manual, the HTC Evo 4G LTE treats USB and wall chargers differently.  While it uses as much current as possible when connected to AC, it treats a computer connection as a "trickle charger", even when said computer has a power supply robust enough to provide as much current as a wall charger, even under load.

Just an FYI for those searching for answers...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat