cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Call Failure error code 97 - Manhattan, NYC

Journeyman

Data Call Failure error code 97 - Manhattan, NYC

Hello, there was a rain storm 2 days ago here in Manhattan, and ever since then I have no data connection on my HTC EVO 4G LTE.  Normally I have fine 3G connection, never had 4G here.  Now every few minutes a pop up comes up that says "data call failure. Error code 97.... Failed to make a data connection...".

This happened once before last month when I was visiting DC and there was a bad storm. There was no data connection for a day but then it was restored.  It's been 2 days this time and nothing.

I've rebooted and all many times. Nothing.  Tried updating the PRL on WiFi, gives me an error and crashes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Desperately Seeking Data

Tags (4)
11 REPLIES

Re: Data Call Failure error code 97 - Manhattan, NYC

Can I get an address close by including the city, state and zip?

Thanks,

Ray

Journeyman

15 William Street. New York, ny 10005

Thanks for the address. The only thing that I am seeing is we are currently upgrading your tower to network vision. This may be causing your phone to get the data call failure. Here are the details for network vision:

Cell Site is being upgraded to Network Vision. Temporary impairments causing increased Drops and Blocks may occur, in addition to instances of missed calls/calls rolling to voicemail, and other voice service anomalies. Upgrade should be complete soon and service should be improved.

Hopefully your issue will be resolved soon.

Ray

Journeyman

You wouldn't happen to know how "soon" might be would you?

Also, my husband has the Nexus S phone, same account, but he has no data problems.  Does that sound right?

No exact time as of right now. It is odd that another phone on your account works and the other one doesn't. There may be other things we can do to get this resolved. I would suggest you call technical support and see if there is anything we can do to correct this for you.

Thanks,

Ray

Journeyman

Ok, thanks for your help Ray!

Journeyman

We had a similar problem.  Do you have an Airave or is there one nearby?  We replaced a phone, but still had the old one turned on.  The Airave sensed there were two phones with similar phone numbers and would not let calls or texts go through.  To fix it, we turned off the old phone.  Turned off the Airave.  Updated the PRL and Profile on the new phone.  Turned on the Airave and that fixed it!  Hope this helps!

Journeyman

Profputr - I'm not sure what an Airave is or if there is one nearby. But we are not using one intentionally.

So far, I called Sprint customer service, and they said its probably not a tower issue since I have the dead data service throughout Manhattan, not just in this location.  Also, I have since realized that I am not receiving any calls either, though I can place calls.

They helped me through trying to update the PRL and Profile, but it crashed every time I tried to do that or wouldn't go through.  Also the ##data# commands would do nothing.

I was instructed to go to a Sprint store.  I will tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I tried a hard reset, and it didn't make any difference.

Seams I am having troubles akin to this thread http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/554875-prl-profile.html#post4675230

So sad

Master

THe Airwave connects to your home WiFi system and boosts the phone signal within the networks range. Most cases you'll get full signal while at your house.

The ##DATA# won't do anything unless you have access to your MSL number. You can only get that from Sprint or by Rooting your phone.

Hopefully the Sprint Repair center can help you out. In any cases, while there you will most likely notice full signal. That is because they usually have an Airwave on the facility. That's how it will be at your home. If they can't resolve the issue, make sure they at least log it in the system. That way when you get home and it continues to be an issue, Customer Service will see that you've already been to the repair center about the issue.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I see, Airwave is a signal booster.  But I don't have any signal problems here, I have full bars.  But data didn't work and I am not receiving calls.

I went into a Sprint store and they were unable to help me after fiddling with the phone a bit, and because I have a Sprint employee account they couldn't help me any further.

I came home and got on tech support for employees again and they decided that something is terribly wrong with my phone and will send me a replacement.  She was going to help me reset the phone in various ways but since the ##___# commands would not work there was nothing they could do to revive the phone.

Very strange occurance, but Sprint customer service was prompt I will say.

Thanks everyone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Ray

I'm aware that there are tower upgrades around my 11203 zip code. Is this the reason why I have been having difficulty connecting to my home landline or my wife's Evo 4G LTE, from my own Evo?  I could be a half a mile from home, and, the phones ring and ring on my end, with no one answering. The calls go to voicemail. 

When I come home the wife says that the phones did not ring, and, there's no indication on the caller ID that the call ever came in. One out of 5 calls gets through.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat