cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know of a voice dialer app that allows complete hands-free operation under Android 4.0?

Journeyman

Does anyone know of a voice dialer app that allows complete hands-free operation under Android 4.0?

For the past two years, ever since I got the original HTC EVO 4G phone, I have depended on Choice Dialer Plus to allow (almost) complete hands-free operation for use with a bluetooth earpiece while driving. (I say "almost" complete hands-free operation because I still have to push a button on the earpiece to activate and deactivate it.) To my distress, it doesn't run under Android 4.0 on the 4G LTE and the developer says it will never be modified to run that way.

I have tried every voice app I have to see if any of them will come close to what Choice Dialer Plus did. Nearly all of them fail because they still require at least one press on the screen somewhere in the process. Google's Voice Dialer comes close, but it goes ahead and dials whatever number it thinks I asked for, whether correctly or not, and Choice Dialer Plus allowed for a voice verification at that point.

In short, I need an app with exactly the same capabilities that Choice Dialer Plus still offers for those running under earlier versions of Android. Is there such a thing?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Does anyone know of a voice dialer app that allows complete hands-free operation under Android 4.0?

You can try the Skyvi app on the android market. I'm still playing with it myself to see its full features. However I hope its somewhat what you are looking for.

Journeyman

Re: Does anyone know of a voice dialer app that allows complete hands-free operation under Android 4.0?

Don't know if this helps but I use the Motorola elite Sliver with the voice dial app thats already on the phone and it works great. As you said the only thing I have to do is push the button and it says speak now.

Journeyman

vlingo, is really good been using it since the OG EVO. That's about as close as it get.. you have to put it in car mode, then say vlingo and it will ask you what you want to do text, call, play music.

GrandMaster

you can also change up its responce when it talks back that first time..i got bored so now when i say "hey vlingo" it responds with "what it is hommie" lol...boredom cured

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Roarzola53, thanks for the suggestion, but Skyvi has the same problem as Google's Voice Dialer -- it dials whatever number it thinks I've said, whether it's right or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have tried every voice command program I could identify in Google Store and finally came upon Voice Control by Luka Kama. It has a trial version that will allow all the commands of the paid program for a week, and I have found that it asks for voice confirmation from me before it dials, which is the behavior I need. It also allows voice control of other functions, such as sending SMS messages, email messages, listening to music on the SD card, and some others that I will probably never use. Its voice recognition seems to be very good (I can't say that about Vlingo and Skyvi). I'm going to give it a healthy workout over the next week, and if it lives up to my expectations I will be glad to pay the $1.99.

At the moment, I can't be sure that my original question has been answered, but it looks promising.

Journeyman

How did u finally fix the problem? I'm wondering the same thing

Journeyman

I wish I had fixed the problem -- but I haven't found anything yet that does exactly what I want. The Voice Control app by Luka Kama that I mentioned turned out to have a deficiency that most of the voice-control apps have. It works only if there is a connection, and by the way I have my phone set up I create a problem for myself. I use Juice Defender to conserve battery power, and that means I have a connection only when I deliberately wake up the phone or Juice Defender does its routine opening of a connection every 15 minutes to see if anything is happening. So, when I really need absolutely hands-free operation (except for pressing a button on my earpiece) I'm driving and I don't have a connection (unless by chance it's during the minute or so that Juice Defender keeps a data connection open). I suppose if I could remember to turn off Juice Defender every time I get in the car, Voice Control would work fine. But I usually can't remember. Fortunately, I seldom need to make a call while I'm driving, and the phone automatically wakes up if someone calls me.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat