cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO 4G LTE WIFI Connectivity Issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVO 4G LTE WIFI Connectivity Issue

I can connect to my home WiFi just fine with the Evo 4G LTE, but cannot connect to my work WiFi. On the WiFi settings page it will rapidly switch back and forth between "Connecting..." and "Saved, secured with WPA/WPA2", without ever reaching the authentication step. I have my orginal Evo 4G connected to the work WiFi just fine. Any ideas?

PS also any clue when LTE will come to DC?

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Master

Re: EVO 4G LTE WIFI Connectivity Issue

Sounds like a configuration issue with the work one. May want to check with your admin and see if there's any special settings that need to be set. For instance, when you select the Wifi network, select the Show Advanced Options box as well for a couple extra options that may be particular to your network. Phone is supposed to support A/B/G/N wifi connections, but some folks have had issues where as others have had none. Of course, you hear more about the issues then the non issues because people usually don't come on line to promote how great their phone is.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Admin tested the phone and says the issue is with the phone. Every other android phone in the office connects just fine, just not this one. He had to set up an open network that would allow just my MAC address access. Pretty annoying workaround for a shotty issue. Hopefully Sprint can get this resolved with an update, but this combined with pour 3G service will probably have me look elsewhere before my 14 days are up. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Master

Any idea what type of Wifi network it is, A/B/G/N? and protocols? Could help narrow down the actual issue. Some people are having issues whereas others are not, so why? The more information we can provide the more likely a fix can be found.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

My wife has same wi-fi connectivity issue with the EVO 4g LTE. Here is a work around until an update to fix the problem is issued. 1. Go to SETTINGS and TURN ON WI-FI. 2. Return to Home Screen (where clock is)  3. Press and HOLD power button until SCREEN GOES BLACK, then RELEASE power button.   After phone restarts and homescreen with ring visible reappears, slide ring up. WI-FI icon should appear in the middle of the menu bar at top of phone within 15-30 seconds and STAY there.   Each time wifi is turned off this process must be repeated to connect to wi-fi again.

Master

Silly question, have you tried one of the following,

Settings > WiFi > Menu > Advanced

Keep WiFi on during sleep - Default is "Only when plugged in" change to "Always"

Best WiFi performance - Default is "Off" try turning it "On"

Also, take a look at the "WiFi frequency band," option and see that it coincides with your network.

--

Journeyman

All settings were already set as you suggested.  Btw... I have the original Evo and have no problem connecting to wi-fi. Looks like quite a few people with the Evo Lte are going to have to wait for an update that addresses the wi-fi connectivity issue. Otherwise the Evo Lte is an awesome phone. My wife really likes it; it is a huge upgrade from the Samsung Intercept she was using!  🙂

Master

Yeah, your's sounds like one of the phones having a WiFi issue which the upcoming MR will address. Unfortunately, don't know when the MR wil lbe released. 

--

Journeyman

I am having problems with my home network.  The WiFi will switch off and on on it's own, even while browsing.  I have changed the advances settings back/forth

Keep WiFi on during sleep - Default is "Only when plugged in" change to "Always"

Best WiFi performance - Default is "Off" try turning it "On" - tried all configurations.

Freq band is set to "auto" on the phone, the router:  Radio Band Standard - 20MHz, Standard Channel - 11-2.462GHZ, Mode - Mixed

Any Suggestions???

Master

hdbrown770 wrote:

I am having problems with my home network.  The WiFi will switch off and on on it's own, even while browsing.  I have changed the advances settings back/forth

Best WiFi performance - Default is "Off" try turning it "On" - tried all configurations.

Freq band is set to "auto" on the phone, the router:  Radio Band Standard - 20MHz, Standard Channel - 11-2.462GHZ, Mode - Mixed

Any Suggestions???

This has been discussed in the Community here before. Sprint and HTC are currently testing an update to fix the WiFi disconnect/reconnect/looping that some people are experiencing. It is related to specific routers and connection settings and how the phone operates and connects to these wireless routers. The update will correct an issue that causes the phone to disconnect from the WiFi access point. There currently is no ETA for the update, but it will be included in the next update released for this phone. It is not a hardware issue, it is a software issue.

Journeyman

Re "It is not a hardware issue, it is a software issue." - My first EVO 4G LTE had a similar problem with multiple routers; I exchanged the phone. Replacement has had no problems staying connected to the same set of routers, with no difference or change in phone or router settings. I mean no disrespect but can you explain how that's not a hardware issue? I can accept that a software change might fix or prevent the problem, but it sure seems like there's a hardware aspect to this.

Journeyman

I too have this issue and it is quite annoying.  I have had the evo 4g lte for about a month, and suddenly last week this started happening.

When I arrive to work it will not connect tot he work wireless network.  In the settings the network shows as "Not in Range" even though every other person in the office is connected.  Then suddennly it will rapidly switch back and forth between "Connecting..." and "Saved, secured with WEP."  but will not connect.  So, I restart the phone and it connects automatically with no problem.  When I get home, the same thing.  Every day, twice a day.  Sure, restarting the phone is not a big deal, but if the device worked properly, you should not have to.

It cannot have to do with networks or settings.  It worked fine for weeks and then, BAM, connectivity issues.  Plus, if it were a networks or a settings issue, it wouldn't work perfectly after restarting the phone.

Obviously there is an update we have to wait for, but I hope they get the message, the phone is only a couple of months old, so all of us experiencing this issue are most likely tied into a new contract.  And that just sucks.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat