cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO 4G LTE vs. One X...and customer service

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVO 4G LTE vs. One X...and customer service

I found the phone of my dreams when I saw the EVO 4G LTE or the first time! After a lot of pressure from my iPhone friends, I was actually at the sprint store to at least give the iPhone a fair shake as I was considering my next upgrade. That's when I saw the new EVO and fell in love! It is everything I love about my old phone (original EVO 4G) but lighter, bigger screen, more internal storage, better battery, etc. It improves on everything that was bothersome about the old EVO, so I went online to start my upgrade.  I was actually in the checkout process when I noticed a $36 fee attached at the end...described as activation/upgrade fee. I've been with sprint for MANY years and multiple upgrades...never had to pay this type of fee. So, I called customer service. I explained the situation and was told that this fee is required and could only be waived under promotion. After further inquiries resulted in the same canned answer, I simply said, "I have been a sprint customer for years. This fee has always been waived for each of my previous upgrades. If you are telling me it can't be waived now, I understand. But I need you to understand that this is make or break for me. If you cannot waive this fee, I will not purchase this phone, which means I will not be renewing my contract." No go.

I went back online and cancelled my order. But, I decided to try one more time with customer service. This time I sent an email through the website. I gave the details of my conversation with online sales rep and said "I really love this phone, but offering me a $150 upgrade allowance and then turning around and charging me a $36 fee for that upgrade is not reasonable. Is this your final answer? Please convince me to stay with sprint."  I pretty much got the same line about it being impossible to waive the fee, we hope you understand, yada, yada.

Not really even sure why this was such a sticking point for me, but after so many years and so many phones, and being on the heels of unsolicited emails from sprint expressing what a valued customer I am and encouraging me to remain even though my contract is up...I don't know, it just seemed like they could do a little better.

Anyway, so I started doing my research again and discovered that AT&T has their own version of the EVO 4G LTE!!! The HTC One X is essentially the EVO without a kickstand! Plus, AT&T actually has the 4G LTE network up and running...sprint does not. I researched plan options and, being that I consistently use around 2gigs of data, went with their 3gig option, unlimited texting and m2m, 400 minutes that rollover, and ended up with a monthly payment comparable to what I had with sprint. Plus, AT&T waived the same $36 fee that sprint refused to and gave me $85 for my old EVO (sprint offered me $65). They transferred everything over for me right there in the store, and I walked out with a very sexy new phone that runs at lightening speed on their 4G LTE network. Same HTC sense, same ice cream sandwich, same everything, ND I can multi-task to my heart's content! You will be amazed at the difference in performance!

Anyway, no hard feelings sprint. Just wanted to make sure others are aware that there is another option if you are in love with the new EVO but thinking you are stuck with sprint to get it.

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: EVO 4G LTE vs. One X...and customer service

Actually, the HTC One X was the base model, the HTC EVO LTE is an upgraded version of what everyone else (carriers) went with. However, it the scheme of things, they are pretty much the same thing. Best of luck with AT&T and enjoy the new phone.  (thumbs up)

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

If you compare the specs for both of these phones, they are essentially the same phone.  Using the words "base model" is misleading, as it implies "less than."  This is simply not accurate. It's only a base model in that AT&T got it before Sprint.  When you compare the specs for these two phones, they are the same phone.  Yes, the EVO LTE was made specifically for Sprint, so I guess if you want to call that an "upgrade" knock yourself out.  There are some cosmetic differences (casing) and some hardware differences (ONE X doesn't have the kickstand or the sd card slot).  But, the guts of the phone are the same.  Frankly, a kickstand is a neat feature, but I can live without it.  And, as far as the sd card, the substantially increased internal storage space that these phones have over the original evo makes the sd card slot completely irrelevant imo.  Besides all this, the AT&T 4g lte network is already up and running, and it is amazing! 

For some sample comparisons, look here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05/30/htc-evo-4g-lte-vs-htc-one-x/

and here:

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-evo-4g-lte-vs-htc-one-x-21229246/

Journeyman

I think some of the sites are listing the internal storage on the One X as 32gigs.  This is inaccurate.  Both devices come with 16gigs of internal storage.  Also, the One X comes in black or white.

Master

In regards to the Sprint version of the phone, it is a base model. Sprint took the HTC ONE X and added to it. Therefore, the HTC ONE X is a base model compared to the Sprint version.

As well as the kickstand, external SD card the sprint version also has a larger battery.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

Give it a couple months, Best Buy will most likely offer the Spritn version in White as well similarly to the way they did the OEVO.

--

Journeyman

Splitting hairs, smotrs...Perhaps you should use your employee discount to go buy yourself that new evo Smiley Happy

Master

I did. 

--

Journeyman

smotrs wrote:

As well as the kickstand, external SD card the sprint version also has a larger battery.

Who needs a kickstand when you need HEARING AIDS to listen to the lame external speaker that HTC put in this power house??  Can you hear me, LOL, cuz I can't hear the speaker on the new EVO....That bugs me I guess. 

Journeyman

Lol, at least you admit it, smotrs Smiley Happy

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat