Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO LTE overheats!

Journeyman

EVO LTE overheats!

I am still looking for answers why my EVO LTE overheats!

62 REPLIES 62
Journeyman

I preordered my phone on the first day the site was available.  Completed my transaction within the first 10 mins...  My phone HW version is 3.

GrandMaster

A22MATIK wrote:

I started using car docks about 8 mths ago.  I have the latest EVO LTE car dock sold by Sprint, and another generic car dock from iBolt.  Before those, the charger was plugged directly into the phone(s).  I have the Sprint cig charger with the coiled cord, the Mediabridge is the USB type that can charge 2 things at once.  That's new, as I just purchased it less than a month ago.  The HTC is a USB type too.  In the past, I've strictly used Sprint branded car chargers.  No, I haven't perfrmed the same test at home.  I'm at the airport headed out of town.  I'll try it next week when I get back.

FYI - I usually take a summer trip to MIA every year.  I rely heavily on GPS to get around in the rental car.  If you want to see overheating in abundance, use your EVO for gps/nav while on vacation.

hopefully its hybernation season for those face eating zombies by the time you make it down there lol..

im still running my OGEVO and decided to do a temp test yesterday..hour trip while phone was plugged into the stock usb cord-usb mini vehicle charger. navigation/bluetooth on...no a/c going...just windows down..upper 90's outside and i think it went up mayvbe 5 degrees lol..doing the test at home will show if its those docks or the phone itself. or heck..even in a motel room. does this happen on ALL the chargers/cables you have while in the vehicle or have you only noticed it with the docks?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

A22MATIK wrote:

Battery Notifier (Big Text) by Shkil/larryvgs

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.larryvgs.battery&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

That's not the one you showed the pictures of on the first page, is it? The pictures on the first page almost look HTC like, but I don't see where that was accessible from the Settings > Power section.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/download/441521-102495/2012-06-23%2014.06.04.png

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

does there happen to be a widget like on the OEVO in the "get more HTC widgets" area? wondering if the battery level widget on the LTEVO will do this for you? only thinking this since in the upper part of that pic its using the same settings symbol the phone already uses for settings.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

That's why I thought it might be HTC related, but I haven't found it. Doesn't appear to be on th estock phone from everything I've attemtped so maybe it's downloadable from the HTC Hub, but I looked there and didn't notice one.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

i would also like to point out that his reception where ever he was is horrible lol...wonder if that was along a long stretch adding to the phone heating up?

Master

Oh yeah, that would do it. If it's constantly looking for a signal it can get warm. Add to that everything else going on and your looking at a warm phone. I had mine plugged in t othe car charger with navigation running for directions home and after a 50min drive I got home, reached down and put my hand on the back of the phone. Felt very warm, but I don't know about over heating warm.

It's a shame they don't have a developer option overlay for the battery and phone temps similar to the CPU overal that currently exists. That would come in handy.

--

Journeyman

hey guys forgot to mention that when I called HTC he gave a code to find your battery temp. so, you don't have to download an app to find out. on your dial pad, dial *#*#4636#*#*, it will give you a menu and choose battery information. (if you haven't done so)

Master

Aghh, that's the display I show above from A22Matik. Thanks.

--

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 - Ha, ha!  Nice one!  I actually went to Chicago for a wedding.  This has only happened over the years using car chargers (and for the last 8 mths car docks).  The micro USB can be plugged in directly to the phone, and it still happens.  This has only happened to me while using navigation/gps, not once has it happened while not using it.

Journeyman

smotrs - yes it is from the app (Battery Notifier Pro).  Once you click on the app, click menu, and battery info.

FYI - you can make a shortcut for this screen by using the app Quick Shortcut Maker.  Open the app and perform an incremental search under activities.  Search word battery...  From there, select the 1st option battery info (see attached).  I happened to be playing around with the app and found this...

2012-07-05 21.03.16.png

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 - my phone only heats up like that when I use GPS/Navigation.  I never experience severe battery drain or overheating with anything non-gps/navigation related.  My battery can last me an entire day from boot up @ 5 am to the time I get off work with moderate usage.  If I happen to stream radio or something like that, I have to charge before I leave work.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat