cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO keeps restarting

Journeyman

Re: EVO keeps restarting

I had same or very similiar problem, i took it to sprint repair and the did say it was software related and did hard reset and that same day did it again, i took it back and i walked out with a new one and have not had that problem since. Hope this helps you

Journeyman

Yes.

My phone had random restarts beginning right after the 7/11 update. At first it was once or twice a day but has been getting more and more frequent. Today, the restarting is continuous ... I cannot do anything with the phone at all. It sometimes makes it to the Home screen, but freezes and restarts as soon as I pull the ring. Even if I do nothing, it restarts within a few seconds.

I was able to force a restart once ... made no difference.

I was able to power down, then restart ... no difference.

I was able to power down, and start up in Safe Mode. I was going to start uninstalling apps ... but no apps other than what came stock with the phone are in the app drawer. Not long after I discovered this, it restarted again.

I bought the phone at Best Buy, should I take it there? Or to a Sprint store? I do not have the Sprint/Asurion insurance, but I do have the BB protection plan.

Master

Restart the phone normally.

Journeyman

I'd like totry safe mode to see if my email problems go away (no text reflow in email, so email is too wide and doesn't wrap to fit screen.  A couple time the text was small when I first opened a message and then expanded - before my very eyes).  If I try safe mode, how do I go back to regula mode?

Thanks

Master

Actually, your instructions are slightly off.

At the first White Bootup Screen that comes up, press and hold the Volume Down button until the very end. You will feel a quick vibrate then a longer vibrate. After the second longer vibrate the Desktop screen should show up with Safe Mode in the bottom left corner.

Volume Down button only, no need for Menu button to be pressed. Not sure which phone had those instructions but the LTEVO just requires the Volume Down button.

Highlighted
Journeyman

All-   Here is a little trick you might want to try before you hard reset the device.   The following instructions start your phone in Safe mode which basically dissables all 3rd party apps from firing up but allows all native functions of the device to run as normal.  If your device runs error free in safe mode start a witch hunt on your downloaded applications, if issues persist take the device to one of our Retail locations and have your software serviced by one of our Tech Support agents.

Instructions:

1. Turn the device off by pressing and holding the power button
2. Once the device is off press and hold the power button until you see the white screen with the HTC branding
3. Press and hold the volume down button until you see "Quietly Brilliant" flash across the screen
4. Then press and hold the Menu button (still holding the volume down button) (Home button = menu button)

You will know it has worked because the device will give a brief vibrate or 3 quick vibes. Once it loads you will see “Safe Mode” on the bottom left of the screen. This disables all 3rd party apps and drivers from launching.

Thanks,

Scott

Master

RC1024 wrote:

Hi sprint_user_0, as for many computing devices the potential for a factory reset is there. no matter who makes it, or which operating system it uses you may need to start from scratch at some point. if you have had similar problems with three different Android phones it could be an application that you've used, or data that you've stored on your phones/SD cards.

And on that note, I would try removing the SD Card, doing a Hard Reset and using the phone in it's stock configuratin a few days. Don't install any 3rd party apps that wheren't on the phone to begin with and see if it's an app causing it or the SD Card causing it.

Master

RC1024 wrote:

Hello Suarez6466, usually the deductible applies to cases of physical damage, which includes liquid damage. Do you recall why they wanted you to file a claim with Asurion?

I'm guessing it's because she's past her 30 days and doesn't have insurance. But without physical damage I'm surprised they didn't try to put them in touch with HTC for a warranty claim.

Wizard

Hi sprint_user_0, as for many computing devices the potential for a factory reset is there. no matter who makes it, or which operating system it uses you may need to start from scratch at some point. if you have had similar problems with three different Android phones it could be an application that you've used, or data that you've stored on your phones/SD cards.

Wizard

Hello Suarez6466, usually the deductible applies to cases of physical damage, which includes liquid damage. Do you recall why they wanted you to file a claim with Asurion?