Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo LTE Slow Data and my Sprint Experience

Highlighted
Journeyman

Evo LTE Slow Data and my Sprint Experience

Ok Guys,

Here is my saga, sad but true.

I purchased an Evo LTE on June2 the day of the big launch.  First let me say,I really like this phone, it has by far the best call quality of any of my previous Sprint phones. (Original Evo & Evo 3d).  However, this is where the problems start.  I don't utilize 4g, never have, its not widely available in my area (outside Houston), and it has traditionally consumed too much battery.  I have been ok with the mediocre data speed on 3d, it allows me to do what I need without too much delay.  I would average 200 - 500 kbps while on 3g (according to the Speedtest App).  Now enter the Evo LTE the "best" Sprint phone yet, and data speeds 10x less.  Averaging 25 - 125 kbps just does not cut it....

I have heard every excuse from Sprint, "we are updating towers", while true, they are not currently working on the towers in my area (according to Engineering).  "Its a local problem", possible, but I have been all around Houston, a two hour radius, so if it does not appear to be "Local"  So, I was requested by tech support to go to my local repair center.  I took a 1/2 day off work, went to the store that they recommended, that was a repair center, arrived at my appointment time (setup by tech support) only to be told that they did not have the proper software to run their normal testing.  It appears that Sprint has not released the testing package to the techs yet.... 

So after days of testing and correspondence with Sprint I decide to throw in the towel on the LTE.  I have read enough of other people having similar problems with the LTE to lose faith in it,

I had them turn my Evo 3d back on and amazingly, my data speed was back to normal.  Yes, that is correct, Evo LTE on 3g with 3 bars of signal sitting at my table @ 3:10pm was running at 37 kbps.  Then my Evo 3d turned on at 3:20pm was running at 298 kbps sitting at the same table.  So much for the "tower" being the problem.

I purchased it at BestBuy which has a 30 day return period ( Hurray!), I am at 20 days.  I'll just return the LTE and go back to my 3d.   However, Sprint's contract return date is 14days ( I should have read the fine print ).  So I can return the phone, but I am stuck with the 2yr contact and am not eligible for a upgrade for 20 months.  I just want to be able to go back to normal, and be able to upgrade later this year after some of the bugs are worked out with the new generation of phones.

I have tried multiple departments and talked to a bunch of people and supervisors, and was told that there was nothing that they can do.  So after several years of being a loyal Sprint customer, and having a documented problem while in there 14day contact return period, I have an expensive paperweight.

Is this my fault for not reading the fine print, absolutely.  Should I have returned the phone in the instead of trying to work through the problems, maybe....  Is Sprint within their rights to refuse to help, absolutely.

What I want if for them to do the right thing, either let me return it and reset my contract date, or acknowledge that they have a problem and bring me a solution to get the LTE working on par with my Evo3d.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.  Any input from you guys that work for Sprint is especially welcome.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Evo LTE Slow Data and my Sprint Experience

Diehard069,

Thank you for your post. I want to make sure I understand your concerns so that I may address them appropriately. I assume that you are using the same line of service that you had your EVO 3D on correct? So you are just wanting your contract terms to be reset correct? If both are correct, can you provide me with the zip code and intersection of where you live outside of Houston? I want to check on the deployment in that area for LTE and as for terms of agreement, I will need your phone number to do some additional research. Can you please send me a private message with your phone number included?

Markie_B

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you can't work out a "reset" solution, I would at least try another 4G LTE and see if it was just a bad phone.

Highlighted
Master

It's gonna take getting the right person to rest your contract after 30 days. In most cases, their hands are tied so you well have a very hard time getting around that. Fortunately, you have a number if  into sprint regarding the issue, so you can use that to keep pressing your point.

You also have the option of trading it for another phone, initiate, the only other one I would want would be the Galaxy so that you could take advantage of the new tech. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear it well be available by the time the 30 days is up.

Your other option is to hold onto the LTEVO and try again a little later, see if things improve. I would at least try to have then swap it for a new LTEVO to see if the device itself is the problem.

Lastly, what is your zipcode? There are some pages that can be looked at to see the available network as well as see if the new Network Vision well be available in your area and when. The 4G Wimax wasn't as widely installed as the new Network Vision will be, so where you didn't have 4G before, you should have LTE. Again, please provide your zipcode so it can be looked up.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

luvmyevo wrote:

If you can't work out a "reset" solution, I would at least try another 4G LTE and see if it was just a bad phone.

A new phone is not the fix.  The phone it's self is a service failure. The hardware and ICS and Sense 4 is awesome, but the reception on this phone (and sounds like the SIII in it's early days are experiencing the same issues) is an utter FAILURE.  I am going back to OEVO on Mon, giving back the EVO LTE and either wait to see what the i5 is all about or move on to Verizon.  Diehard69,  I say pay the ETF to Sprint and move on...You will get no relief from them.  Arrghhhh, luv the EVO LTE too, shame

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zip is 77521. However, at home I have WIFI and it works great, but my concern is not at home. I do industrial sales and I am constantly on the go through out the Houston Area and its outlying comunities. I know I will have LTE in several spots, but if the phone become unuseable on 3g, it is a problem.

I was contacted by a Sprint rep that saw this post who believes that they can find me a resolution on Monday when the managers are back in the office.

I will update when I hear something further.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, if your situation is  anything like mine, you are not in good shape.  I have an epic touch 4g.  My 3g data is so slow, that it barely makes a speed test.  I am in the middle of Hollywood and I would think that my speed would be pretty good. 

When I was under the 30 days, I called and they gave me the standard line about a tower being down.  Just after 30 days I called to cancel my service, but they then said that the rule in california had been changed and it was now 14 days.  Basically they said that I was under contract now and would have to pay an early cancelation fee.

So the way it works with Sprint is that you are under contract to pay them, but they are not under contract to supply you with the services they advertise.

I guess that when you are a big company, you can just do whatever you want.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought I would post an update.  I was corresponding with a Sprint rep, on Saturday.  Everthing was progressing nicely, they were going to work everything out on Monday.

Well,  here we are on Thursday and nothing has been done.  All of my PM's have gone unanswered, no contact.

So back to the original problem.  What to do now?

I can still exchange the phone for something else, or for a direct replacement.  Should I try another EvoLTE or trade for a Galaxy SIII?

I now have to wonder is staying with Sprint at all is a good idea, SHould I just sell the LTE on the net to pay for the cancelation fee and move to Verizon?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I would do if you still have your old phone and are under the 14 day would be to return it and revert back to your old contract. This can give you time to see if they find and fix the problem. If you are over your 14 days I would try a direct replacement and put it through the test right away. I have read about many people that really like the phone and are not having any problems with it. If still having problems I would try to get the SGIII. I am going to upgrade this weekend to the EVO LTE and put it through all of the tests for problems right away. Any problems and I am going to return for a refund. I have tested three different demo store models and they are showing the same signal strength and same 3G download speeds compaired to my Epic 4G.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

dont forget that most stores are running an airave in them..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks and had not thought about that. I will ask if the have one where I am going to due my upgrade.  I am going to put it through the ringer the first week to see what happens. I really like the EVO LTE and hope it works like advertised. Do not want the SGIII but will go that route if I have to.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

once you have it out and about you'll get your true testing..also notice while youre down at the store that knowing odds are theyre running a airave...that the reception on alot of the phones will be down a bit compared to others..i always found at to be strange.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat