cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great IMAP configuration to clear spam from emails, but ...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great IMAP configuration to clear spam from emails, but ...

Running into a snag on the HTC EVO 4G LTE yet can do it on the HTC EVO 4G.

So, here goes.  Client gets tons of spam on their business domain email.

I setup Gmail to retrieve emails from their business domain (it logins and pulls messages to gmail) and it clears 99% of spam (which goes into the gmail spam folder) and the good email ends up in the inbox. 

Then what I have done on the EVO 4G (which works), is configure a new email account with IMAP as follows:

Protocol: Imap

Emails address: hisname@hisbusinessdomain.com

Username: his gmail email address as the login name

Password: his gmail password

IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com

Security type: SSL

Server port: 993

Now for the outgoing server, I use mail.hisbusinessdomain.com because gmail will send it as an alias if you send through gmail (and we don't want that), so if I send through his mail.hisbusinessdomain.com it works just fine and it responds as his  hisname@hisbusinessdomain.com as the email address and not the gmail address.

So, for outgoing smtp, the setup is as follows:

Username:  hisname@hisbusinessdomain.com (not gmail address here)

Password:  his " hisname@hisbusinessdomain.com" password (not gmail here)

SMTP server:  mail.hisbusinessdomain.com

Security Type: None

Port: 25 (actually I use 26, but that is another story)

Anyway, this works on the HTC Evo 4G.  It logins in to gmail and pulls his business emails, and when one hits reply it sends through the private domain smtp server as his business info.  And you can customize the signature, etc.  In the end just using gmail as a spam filter.

But the LTE will not let me setup the gmail IMAP side - it won't authenticate.

But gmail on the LTE, as the gmail app, works just fine on the LTE (but of course you can't configure a different smtp server)

Anyone else having trouble setting up imap.gmail.com as a separate email account.  Or know of a workaround that I am missing.  Maybe download a different android mail app, like K9-Mail?

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Great IMAP configuration to clear spam from emails, but ...

You could set up K9 and give it a try   it looks like your saying you cannot setup gmail in the mail app and you cannot set up a differernt smtp server in the Gmail app

Journeyman

Yes, that is what I'm saying.  It was simple to use the installed mail app on the HTC EVO 4G to do this exact configuration.

I didn't want to move to another app, as this sometimes confuses nubie phone users.  Gmail, phone email, K9, etc - too many choices.  So, thought I'd use the basic email app but problems authenticating.

Just wondering if anyone else was able to use the LTE to set up their gmail as a separate email account.  Maybe someone can try it, and then delete it after testing and let me know.

Client was "sure" he was entering his password correctly????  All the other settings I can see on his phone, but I did let him enter his own password and he assured me he did it correctly.  Could be PEBKAC  (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

Master

I was able to setup my standard Gmail account with the Mail app. This is the only way to get the Productivity Lockscreen to display Gmail mail for the time being. But I used the default imap and smtp settings for the configuration.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

So, you did get the regular mail app to take the gmail imap settings.  That is good news, as his wouldn't.

From my posted info above for HTC 4G, are these the same settings you used:

Protocol: Imap

Email address: hisname@hisbusinessdomain.com

Username: his gmail email address as the login name

Password: his gmail password

Security type: SSL

Server port: 993

Of course, on yours the "Email address" is your "gmail" address. 

Wondering now if it didn't like the fact that I was setting it up with an "Email address" that was not the gmail address (while I did set the "username" to the gmail address). Maybe it sees it as a "spoofed" email address.  Mmmmm??

Master

My settings as you surmised are as follows,

Protocol: IMAP

Email Address: me@gmail.com

Username: me@gmail.com

Secutirty Type: SSL

Server Port: 993

It's possible as you mentioned that the server doesn't like other then a Gmail address. Something to try is to insert his actual Gmail address and see if it works. Then try the address you were originally trying.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat