cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 4G LTE Bluetooth does not support hands free operation

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC 4G LTE Bluetooth does not support hands free operation

When using a Bluetooth headset (latest high end models) the system keeps the cell phone’s mic open and does not allow audio coming from the Bluetooth headset to come into the device. I sent an email to HTC Support and got a follow up within one day. A portion of their reply is below:

“With the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system on the HTC devices, Voice Commands are not something that the BlueTooth allows. While you can hear the device, it will not take commands such as “Call Home”, etc. I do apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause for you.”

So, there you have it. Just wonder if Samsung’s newest entry is having the same problem, or if this is just a HTC Bluetooth problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, I have the EVO LTE, and a Jawbone Icon bluetooth.  I use my voice commands every day for hands free calling and such.

Highlighted
Master

I have an older Explorer and haven't been having any problem with voice commands either. I've also connected it to my TomTom and it works fine as well.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Wizard

to add to smotrs response,

i was having garbled BT audio streaming in the vehicle I drive and the update cured this. I never had any issues with headsets and had a jabra bt8010 prior to the LG Tones I use now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am using a LG HBS-700 and it works like a charm even before the update. The speech to text works like a dream. Also listen to my music through it and with addition of beats audio the sound is incredible.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very interesting responses.

Here is what I have done/discovered with my HTC EVO 4G LTE.  I upgraded from an EVO 4G and was using a Plantronics Savor Bluetooth for the hands free operation.  It worked great.  When I upgraded to the LTE model, I noticed that the voice commands to the phone (such as Call Joe Home) work some of the time.  I also noticed that when I held the phone in my right hand while talking with someone (not using a Bluetooth) that the person I was talking to said that the audio at times simply was not there.  I finally figured out that if my little finger was covering the small microphone opening that NO audio was getting into the phone.  Installing a case helped -- now if my little finger get over the hole, audio is not blocked.

So, to trouble shoot the Bluetooth problem I covered the microphone hole blocking any audio into the mic. (no case installed).  Then, gave voice commands through the headset - nothing.  Absolutely no response.  Tried Google Voice dialer and Vlingo.  Same results.  Thought it was the Bluetooth, so purchased a Motorola Elite Silver -- same results.  Took it back and traded it for a Jawbone ERA.  Same results.  Returned it.  Got a Plantronics Voyager Pro HD again same results.

Next, I wondered about the sensitivity of the phone's microphone. (On the original EVO is was fair).  I was surprised to find that in a quiet room I can get the phone to respond to voice commands standing up to 15 feet away and speaking in a normal voice.

In the car I can still have the Bluetooth connected and put the phone in my shirt pocket and it works ok.  Not great with background noise, but can make it work.

Now, anyone having the same results?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same results.  It is very clear that when I pair my Jabra Cruiser to the LTE EVO, all the voice search / voice recognition input is still coming through the internal mic in the phone, not through the bluetooth.  Calls work find throug the BT headset, but not voice commands.  This is absolutely unbelievable to me, but there seem to be plenty of others having the same issue.  I wonder if those who report no problems are just getting decent results from the phone mic without realizing it.  I have also tried Vlingo and Vlingo In Car with the same results.

Highlighted
Journeyman

TroyHartwig, you are correct.  I called HTC and they confirmed that the HTC EVO 4G LTE does not accept audio into the unit except relating to telephone calls.  The only good think about this that I see after several months of use is that the built in mic does work well, and like you, that is why I think many users just do not realize that the unit has a problem.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat