cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 4G LTE -- should I pass on this phone??

Journeyman

HTC 4G LTE -- should I pass on this phone??

My phone is eligible for an upgrade in 2 weeks.  I currently am using the Blackberry Bold 9930.  While it has been absolutely great as a phone and email/messaging device, the small screen size is bad on my old eyes   .  I have ruled out the Samsung S3 as it is just too big for my small hands. 

I have been researching the Sprint phones out there and had decided to go with the HTC 4G LTE in white, until I began reading all the issues on this forum.  WOW.  Is anyone satisfied with this phone?  After reading the forum messages it appears that the there are serious issues with the network connectivity that Sprint is not addressing, hardware issues with the device, and customer service regarding this phone has become an issue?   We are in an area where LTE should be available (Dallas/Fort Worth). 

I would really like to stay with Sprint having been a very long term customer and like the plans.  Should I wait it out and stay with the Blackberry, or take my chances with the HTC 4G LTE? 

Thanks for your input!

24 REPLIES 24
Master

Re: HTC 4G LTE -- should I pass on this phone??

Allot of the issues with the LTEVO have to do with the new network. The SGIII is having similar issues and then some. That said, both phones are awesome if your in an area where the network is pretty robust. Even more so if your in an area already upgraded to a LTE network and it's gone live. In my area, the LTEVO performs just as good as my previous OEVO (original EVO) in regards to signal strength and connectivity.

Can you tell us what city/state you live in, that will give us an indication of where your at and if anyone is experienceing or not experiencing connectivity issues in that area.

I was first in line to get the LTEVO. I've been happy with it since day one.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

I know enough people who have and love the phone. The forums may be very critical - the reviews are a little more objective.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/reviews.jspa?INTNAV=ATG:HE:CO:Reviews

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Sprint BUZZ TECH

Oklahoma City

Hours Monday- Friday 6am - 3pm

https://network.sprint.com/   THE SPRINT NETWORK OF THE FUTURE IS UNDER WAY

Master

Exactly, most people come to forums to report problems and look for fixes. You don't often see people coming online for the heck of it and praising how good their device is. As a result, your possibly going to be over whelmed with negativity toward said device.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Thank you so much for the replies. You're making me feel a little better! 

I will read the reviews from the posted link. I do like the EVO LTE best of those I've looked at so far and don't think i can hold out until the Blackberry 10 (if that ever happens). I am not an iPhone fan. 

smotrs, to answer your question, we are in Weatherford, Texas which is west of Fort Worth, Texas.  I am pretty sure there will not be LTE where we live, but we get into town (meaning Fort Worth) enough that I could use it there.  The location where I work is not even close to being on Sprint's radar for LTE service.

My upgrade date is 09/01/12 so hopefully I can come to a conclusion before then.

Master

Check the following, I see Weatherford on the map with what looks like possible LTE coverage soon or already,

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-309-sprint-lte-is-now-discoverable-in-the-dfw-houston-san-a...

--

Master

I see two towers in the Weatherford Tx area  with LTE on  at this time

Master

Based on this and the map at the link I provided, you should be good to go with what ever decision you choose.

I would also check around with the Sprint stores in your area, they usually have working devices that you can play with while in the store to see how they function and sound.

Also, another phone option for you which was released earlier is the Nexus which is the pure Google phone. No Sense or TouchWiz, just pure unadulterated Google. Allot of people who like to customize their user experience opt for that phone and it too is LTE. Here's a very good comparison review between the LTEVO and the Nexus.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04/06/sprint-htc-evo-4g-lte-vs-sprint-galaxy-nexus/

Keep in mind, this was a review prior to the LTEVO being released though.

--

Journeyman

We've been (wife and I) happy so far with the EVO 4G LTE.  We live in Wylie, and spend most of our time in the surrounding areas.  Unfortunately, the Murphy store where we got the phones and the areas where we live & work do not appear to have 4G live yet.  It didn't work in the store and the map smotrs posted doesn't show these areas live yet.  So, can't comment on 4G one way or the other as I just haven't had a chance to go anywhere yet (got the phone on 8/9) that I know has 4G turned on.  I can say that we have the same level of 3G reception and performance at home as our old phones did.  I also have the same lack of coverage at my office (due to the building) - the phone works fine outside.  We use WiFi at home for the data and it has worked great for us so far.

Journeyman

Thanks y'all for the replies, and especially the maps!!  I read EVO reviews for quite a while last night, and read reviews of the other phones mentioned too.  So far I'm still leaning towards the EVO 4G LTE.  Even put a couple phone cases for the EVO 4G LTE in my Amazon cart for later    . 

I'm so excited to see that the LTE tower shows up on the map in the city where I work!  Since my BB only does 3G I would have no way of knowing that.  Hopefully it will be enabled where my H works as well in Granbury, TX. His phone is upgradeable in Feb. 2013.

We also are long time Sprint customers, almost 14 years.  I may take a trip to the Fort Worth store to look at the phones this weekend and see how they work.  We have 5 lines (me, hubby, and kids) on our family plan and each will be upgradeable within the next 6 months; hopefully LTE will be live where each of us works by the time the upgrade time arrives.  

Journeyman

<sigh>  I just looked at the Sprint coverage map, plugged in my address, and LTE is about 1 mile off from covering my house. 

Master

Keep in mind, more towers in that area should be coming online in the future, so what is currently a mile off may not be so in the near future. 

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat