cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE Looking for specifications not already talked about

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G LTE Looking for specifications not already talked about

I have a couple questions about the specifications of the EVO LTE phone that I have not seen anywhere. 

First, I know that LTE Advanced isn't going to be out for a while longer but does this phone have support for LTE Advanced(release 10 I am assuming) when that network capability comes online or will we all be stuck with an LTE release 8 capable only phone?

Second, what is the LTE antenna configuration going to be on the handset?

Thanks!

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE Looking for specifications not already talked about

The chip used in the Evo 4G LTE is the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM 8960.  According to Qualcomm:

Qualcomm’s modem is jointly-designed to work intelligently with high performance application processors such as the Snapdragon S4 Processor. It is the industry’s first LTE/3G multimode modem to be integrated with an application processor on a single chip platform for handsets, tablets and other consumer devices. The modem is Qualcomm’s second generation LTE/3G multimode modem and its MSM8960 chipset implementation will include the latest LTE release 9 features[...]

So, no it does not appear to support LTE Advanced / Release 10.  The new S4 Pro does support that, but it won't hit the fabs until late 2012, with first device availablilty in 2013.  Additionally Sprint has not released information about when (or if) we will be updating the LTE network to LTE Advanced - first we have to roll out the hardware to support LTE under Network Vision

I'd imagine you are exited about the very high theoretical peak bandwidth of LTE-Advanced - reported to be up to 100Mb/sec for mobile devices.  Be aware though that will require huge chunks of spectrum.  A white paper from Erricson notes: "The very high peak-data rate targets for LTE-Advanced can only be fulfilled in a reasonable way with a further increase of the transmission bandwidth".  No wireless carrier has the bandwidth to dedicate for true 100Mb/sec handset data right now.   In real world applications I don't know if you'll see huge differences in downlink speeds between a Release 9 and a Release 10 chipset.

(what is LTE Advanced / Release 10? Clicky...)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I not sure what the exact configuration is, but I read in a hands-on that the antenna is actually contained within the top removeable cover.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info about the chip though it is a shame Sprint didn't put the Tegra 3 quad core in. 

For some reason I thought I remember seeing a news article or something from Sprint talking about starting to work on LTE Advanced starting in 2013 but I guess I am mistaken.

I don't really care about theoretical maximums and I will hate the commercials that will in the future most likely quote that because it will probably never be actually achieved in a real deployed network, at least not during LTE Advanced's lifetime.  Maybe when the next standard comes out...  I also unfortunately don't get very excited about anything related to cell phones in regards to Sprint since I see Sprint as always being a step tor two behind in regards to the network and phone choices.  A dual core "refreshed" EVO with LTE isn't all that exciting.  The styling isn't all that great in my opinion either.  The only thing really good is that it will have ICS loaded.  Now get a nicely styled EVO with ICS, and a quad core processor, and I think Sprint would have had something a lot more exciting.  The styling and design of the phone is a big selling point to a LOT of people and Sprint seems to be behind in that in my opinion... Sorry, I'll get off my soap box there...

Now, do you know about the antenna configuration?  IE 1x2, 2x2, MIMO, MISO, SISO?

Thanks!

Journeyman

I'm glad they didn't go with the Tegra 3 just because it's cheaper. The S4 is a better performing chip, allows LTE, and uses less battery. The benchmarks are showing that the S4 outperforms the T3 in nearly everything but HTML 5. Don't get caught up in the amount of cores a chip has. T3 is based off of the ARM-9, which is outdated technology.

Journeyman

I didn't mean to infer a synonymous like between the Tegra 3 and a quad core in describing a more exciting phone.  There are always multiple things going on in the full specs and architecture of the chips so obviously saying a quad core is better than a dual core is not always the case.  Any quad core(decent performance and power consumption inferred) with LTE capabilities would be great. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat